Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 06-16-2004, 02:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Question Anyone know anything about Devon Rex breed?

Hi there

I am interested in a breed of cat I believ that is called a Devon Rex. They are suppossed to be good for people with allergies. I think there hair is simaliar to a poodle?!?

Does anyone have one or any info that might help. I'd love any info before I go look into buying one.

Thanks

debknechtel
Old 07-03-2004, 06:49 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

devon/Cornish Rex cats

Hi! I love my "hypoallergenic cat"!!! I have a simular breed called a Cornish Rex cat- they are really skinny and have curly fur. They aren't "allergy free" but with my allergic asthma I do well with her. The Cornies don't have the 3rd type of fur that regular cats have- makes them really soft. We got her from a breeder here in FL. She was 7 mos old and now about 3. She is a red tabby maceral (tiger stripe). We looked at both the Devon and the Cornish. We went with the Corny as ours was availeble right away. Yes these cats "aren't cheap" but alot goes into breeding as most should come (if not showing) fixed to you. Our Jane is a "pet quality" animal in the breeding world- yes to you or I she's a Corny but to a cat show person she's not to standard- not a 'perfect' example of the breed. Doesn't matter we love her just the same. Because of the unique look they have I love to show her picture around to people that don't know about her for the reaction....At first with the Cornie my thot was- GAWD that's a homely cat. Now it's :wub:

Try yahoo groups or your fave list portal for a breed group. It will give you a chance to find out more about the breed before you dive in. Also look for people thru your Cat fancier's National group- I know I'm not saying it right- LIke dogs have the AKC here in the states. They keep lists of there registered cateries.

If the price is 'expensive" you might try a rescue organization or humane society. I participated in 2 corny transports- I took one thru FL to Ga to it's forever home and my sister adopted a rescue that our breeder had. It was very heart warming.

My Corny is very social- she loves to be around us. She isn't afraid to tell us when she wants more attention or is hungry or wants to play. She "talks" to us . No I'm not a crazy cat lady either. She is our only pet for no particular reason than one pet is all we can handle.

If you have any questions please ask either here or email me privatly. I have attached a rough pic of my dd and a profile of our cat.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2004, 06:56 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Cats

That is a really nice breed of cat. I am thinking ofgetting another kitty. my last one lived tillshewas 21 yrs old.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks for all the info ishadow

I love the picture you attached......we have 2 cats presently one is a long hair tabby and the other is a short hair. I love them and would never part with them....they are my babies My mom is highly allergic to them and since we are trying to get posted closer to her we may have to look into an alternative down the road We saw a devon rex at a ladies house and I keep thinking they would be a perfect addition to our family. Do you mind if I ask how much you paid ???? or a round about figure??

Again thanks for the info and great pic.

debknechtel

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 07-04-2004, 12:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Post Just a snippit I found.

Cornish Link
Quote:
Because of their extremely short, fine textured coat, many people have the impression that the Cornish Rex does not shed and is hypoallergenic. This is not strictly true. All animals are constantly renewing their coats as old hairs are replaced by new ones. While Cornish Rex hairs are not easy to find lying on the furniture, they are there and owners will find them in the dryer filter and clinging to some fabrics. Certainly, by comparison to some other cats, the shedding is minimal. Even so, most allergic people are bothered by the dander (dead skin cells) and the saliva, both of which are present in Cornish Rex cats. Policies concerning allergy sales vary from breeder to breeder and potential buyers should realize each breeder does what he or she feels is in the catsí best interest.
Devon Link
Quote:
Devons are low maintenance, wash-and-wear companions. Their large ears occasionally require cleaning, but otherwise a quick shampoo and towel dry (or even a wipedown with a damp cloth) and a nail-trim is all the grooming most Devons require. Despite popular myth, Devons do shed (as does anything with hair), although their unique coat may make the shed hair less obtrusive than that of many cats. Devons have also gained a dubious reputation as being "hypo-allergenic," but this varies according to an individual's personal allergies. While some people with animal allergies tolerate Devons very well, anyone with allergy issues should arrange to handle a Devon before considering acquiring one.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks drewped for the info ...very interesting. Where did you find this info on them?

Thanks again

debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 07-04-2004, 05:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I love cats & am alergic to them, so I will comment, even tho I don't know much about these breeds. I have had two inside cats for about 9 years. I keep them out of my bedroom. I don't put them next to my neck or face. I wash my hands after petting them. This keeps me almost problem free. I would recommend borrowing a cat of any kind first to see if this was workable. I have thought the Rex would be a cool cat to own, but I love giving love & care to ordinary strays. Ever cat has it's own beauty.