Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 01-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Post rosmith

We have not got a bubbler in his bowl. He is in a regular small bowl made for a beta, it is blue plastic and has a lid with air holes in it. It came from Walmart with an artificial plant- but we took it out and added some pretty crystal looking pebbles and a small shark figurine. We feed him usually twice a day, and change the water at least every other day (however the things I've read also suggest leaving partial water in there...). I've never done it, always kept it clean, as you know the water can get a bit stinky and quick!! The one I mentioned who lived for over 4 years I did the same way. We did buy one from Walmart back in the summer(betta), and he died before the next day, but I told my son that I was a bit leary of buying him anyway as there were about 4 dead fish in the aquarium with him that he was exposed to...He was in a separate little cage type thing, but however in the same water. We feed him the Betta food by Wardley- it floats on the water, but just a little at a time( I use just a tiny pinch at each feeding). It's funny, he knows when it is time to feed as he comes to the top of the water and watches my every little move!! Good luck with your fish!

Unknown
Old 06-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have a small outdoor pond that I dug, used a childs pool and cemented it in to have goldfish for the kids...and me as well. I love them as much as they do. They are very easy to care for and are the least expensive of all the fish...hehehe and they live all winter in this little pond. For more info pm me and I can tell u all about it.. Here is a pict of it:
Attached Images

"The thoughts you entertain are the seeds from which your actions grow."
Old 06-14-2005, 08:09 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Teresa, that is so cool!! Dh and I have discussed building a small pond in our yard. But we get freezing winters here in MI. The fish would survive, but we're more concerned about the pond liner cracking, etc. We'd most likely need a heater, as well, and that will add up to some serious cash in the long run!!

I had a beta in a glass vase with glass stones on the bottom. He also knew me--as soon as I'd roll over in bed, he's swim to the side and look at me. I talked to him a lot, and he knew feeding time lol!! He died about a month ago, after almost four years. I haven't found another one I've really liked--they've been mostly the standard blue/red that everyone has. I'm looking for another purple/green one lol!!
Old 06-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

MrsManiac we also get real cold winters here and my small pond does feeze over but they always thaw out. Goldfish hybernate during this time, and that is how they survive. I do not have heater or air conditioner ... I knew you would get a kick out of that one. But seriously it is just a small pond with cheap goldfish in it. I bought them at Walmart something like .30 a piece and they have been in there uhhhhh 4 yrs now. It was very inexpensive to do if you want me to let you know I will be glad to. It was interesting to see it when I started and when I finished. I done it in parts of 2 days. It is made with concrete so it is very unlikely to crack any time soon

"The thoughts you entertain are the seeds from which your actions grow."
Old 10-25-2005, 06:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We got got a new 30 gallon tank my 8 year old is so excited!! He cant wait to get fish in it. Does anyone have any suggestions of good fish to get??? Thanks
Old 04-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Mystery Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Dd just got a beta fish yesterday. She had received a Petco gift card. She bought a pink Beta, a new Beta aquarium for it, new rocks and pebbles for the bottom and an ornament for the bottom as well. She is thrilled as she had missed having a fish. She had 2 blue Beta's before but they died of old age. Fish are definitely fun to watch.

To return to the Guess Who Game or learn how to play this fun game click here!

Who is our Mystery Guest this week? Take a guess!
click here to submit your guess!
Please remember to submit only one guess per day. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

What Kind of fish do you have?

I dont have any fish , but my g-son and son do thay have fresh water fish and it sure is nice to watch them. its very calmingthay have all kinds of fish and frogs too.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:04 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have 1 fighting fish and 6 Gold Fish....by the wa is it true that a Fighting Fish live only for a year???
Old 08-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My family has 2 betta's: one male, one female; they each have their own bowl as the male will hassle the female until she lays eggs. 4 gold/red fire swordfish (with two sets of babies so far totals 12), 4 black fancy tail mollies (1 male, 3 female), 1 huge pocosomis (spelling?), 6 neons, 1 rubbertire bottom feeder who all live in a 75 gallon fresh w ater tank. These are just a few of my animals.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Happy face What kind of fish do you have?

My family has a 120 gallon fresh water tank that has been set up now for about 4 months. Before that we had a 20 gallon tank, that we have now retired due to getting the big one. In our big one we have: 1 rainbow shark (he moved from the small tank), 12 neon tetras, 10 zebra danio's, 4 cory catfish, 5 zebra loach's, 5 cherry barb's, 5 rasbora hets, 5 black phantom tetras, 5 red phantom tetras, 10 cardinal tetras and a dozen or so other fish that I can't remember what they are. We also added 4 snails which have grown to be close to 100 or more at last count (but we no longer have any algae problems because of them).

We have sand and a special bio media for live plants on the bottom. We have both live and some plastic plants. Also 3 bog logs that the fish love to swim around. There is a big 2 piece ship that we have some air bubblers under (one lets up a big bubble every 20 seconds or so that you can hear glerp as it release's, very fun to listen to at night when it is quiet). Also a reverse waterfall (it has bubbles going up the inside that make it look like water is going over the edge) and then some rocks that we have used to create caves and tunnels for the fish to swim around and through.

We do a 25% water change once a week (though sometimes we can let it go for 2 weeks). Before doing a water change we do a water test so we know how much water conditioner, salt (yes even though it is a gresh water tank you still should add some salt, it helps to keeps the fishes skin healthy) and some PH stuff to keep the proper levels. We also put the lights on a timer so that they are only on for 10 to no more then 12 hours a day, more then that and algae starts to grow, also live plants stop photosynthasizing (sp?) after 12 hours so it is a waste of electricity to have them on for longer then that. We also have 2 heaters that keep the water temperature at 76 degrees and 2 filters, one large that sits underneath and 1 small that hangs off the back of the tank (that one was on our small tank and we keep it running so that if we ever decide to set up the small tank again there is already the bio material needed for maturing a tank already set).

Okay, I've rambled on enough. It's really neat hearing what every one else has, so keep the posts coming.

Becci