Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 12-05-2003, 12:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

We have a small 1 (one) gallon tank that we have 4 "feeder" goldfish in. The kids all wanted to try to win some at the county fair this summer, but I said that by the time we spent all the $$$ to get into the fair, the $$$ to play the fish game and then had to get a tank, etc. it would be cheeper just to go to the pet store and get some there. We hve had them since the end of August. The survived the less than 3 mile move we made last month. DH wants to (one day) have a salt water tank. I said not until you buy me a home (we are just renting now) that I can have a special place for them. I personally would rather have a chocolate or yellow Lab. Oh, well, can't win them all.

V.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I can't remember the name of it

for the life of me.....OMG I am clueless.

Anyway it is a Japanese Fighting Fish...can't think...

I have it in a vase w/a plant and it has lasted almost 2 YEARS!! (next month will be 2 years) Everyone else that has one says theirs die within months - or weeks for some people.

He is beautiful, bright bright blue with a tint of red on his head. I have the white stones in the bottom along with some cut glass shaped like pine trees, feet, hearts, moons, stars, and some glass candy (look like wrapped hard candy). He is my friend - comes to the side of the vase when I do dishes and I frequently find myself talking to him.

Remember:
Wherever you go, there you are!
Old 12-06-2003, 01:21 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Admirer

I love these fish

Siamese fighting fish (s̴e-mz f̴tng fsh) noun

A small, often brightly colored, aggressive freshwater fish (Betta splendens) native to Malaysia and Thailand that has large fins and tail and is popular in home aquariums.

Excerpted from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

blushing yeah, that's him...

After i posted that, the name came to me...Beta.

I love him. My son has named him a few times, but we keep forgetting ...

Remember:
Old 12-07-2003, 06:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

blushing yeah, that's him...

After i posted that, the name came to me...Beta.

I love him. My son has named him a few times, but we keep forgetting ...

thanks for the info too...

Remember:
Old 12-07-2003, 06:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I recently lost some of my fish.......the neons just disappeared one day. I now have 4 angels, 5 cory cats, 4 swordtails, and about 100 guppies...........

Old 12-07-2003, 07:03 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Admirer

Bettdev,

Sorry to hear you lost your neons. I have kept fish for years (none right now though). The Angelfish/Neon problem is not new.

From http://www.geocities.com/wtaf2000/angelfish.html

"Do not keep Angelfish with Neon Tetras as Neons are Angelfish's natural prey in the wild. You may be able to get away with it, so long as the neons are adults and the angelfish is a juvenile, but the angel may still eat the Neon when the Angelfish has grown up."

Bigger fish always eat smaller fish anyway... >O .......>o

You can purchase books on how to select aquarium tank mates (or read them at the library). Or browse the web or talk to a pet store owner. HTH.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks, I had no idea they would eat the neons.......I don't seem to have that problem with the guppies, and they are supposed to be food! go figure....

Old 01-22-2004, 03:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Pinkie Winky Pet Fish

My 9 year old son has a Betta fish. In the past I had some bad luck with tropical fish and aquariums, and the last Betta was pretty carefree. We had him for 4+ years and my son decided to do the feeding one day and overdid it ( the can spilled into the bowl!!), and did not tell me immediatly or I think he would have been saved...So "Jaws" went to Fishy Heaven... We now have a beautiful mostly blue with burgundy tail and fins who he has named "Sushi"... So far, so good. He has been with us for several months so far.

Unknown
Old 01-22-2004, 04:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

chadsmom

Is your Betta just in a bowl w/out an bubbler or is it in an aquarium with a bubblier? I am fairly good with my aquarium, but had a betta in a bowl (with a live plant and I partial changed water) and it didn't last 2 weeks? How often do you feed yours? Something I read said 2 or 3 times a week, but something else said every day. I feed my aquarium fish every day.
mommy to India, Taylor and Trinity