Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 06-25-2002, 12:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

I currently have Koi. I think plain comet goldfish are great for first-timers. They are extremely hardy and inexpensive.

"Food" for thought: When my son got his first goldfish, at age five, he was very careful to feed his fish every morning. One afternoon, I went in his room to check on the fish. To my surprise, they (2) were floating in their bowl, which was cloudy white and scattered with corn flakes. When I asked my son why he had poured his cereal in the goldfish bowl, he told me that he was sharing his breakfast with his fish.

;-)
Old 06-26-2002, 06:11 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh, that's too funny! One time, ds1 thought the fish were too hot, so he made it snow in the tank by dumping a jar of food in! Fortunately, I was able to save most of the fish by sticking them in a bucket of water!
Old 06-28-2002, 07:24 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Fancy Goldfish

We currently have 5 fancy goldfish and one algea eater in a 35 gallon tank. They are real easy to take care of. We have the filter that hangs on the outside of the tank. It is easy to change the filter and seems to do a better job than the undergravel filter we had in our last tank. They need no heat and have survived the filter pump being unplugged for two days by accident. I have had less trouble with the gold fish than any other kind of fish I have had in the past. To set up my tank we got it all ready, put in the correct chemicals, then went and got "feeder fish" from the pet store. That got the bio set up in the filter and soon we could go on to more expensive fish. If the feeder fish died (and some did) during the tank setup then we were only out 10 to 25 cents each. The tank was in the living room, then we moved it to the kids room, and it is in the livingroom once again (kids needed there desk back), the fish and the bio in the filter have survived all this with little or no problems. The next big move for the fish and tank are a move to OK. Boy I hope we make that one. Only a four hour drive. But if they made it for two days w/o filter then four hours are a cake walk.
All in all I think your child would enjoy a tank in his room.
Good luck and keep the fish food out of reach. We learned that one the hard way.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We have 3 comet's, 1 bala shark, 3 white clouds, 1 angel fish, 2 african dwarf clawed frogs and 1 whiptail ( twig) catfish in a 40 gallon tank. We have the underwater heaters, bubble wall's, under gravel filters and side mount filters on it to keep water nice ( I feed them veggies and shrimp gets dirty quick). I want to add a small school of neon tetra's too

MrsManiac I don't know what type of turtles you have, but be very carefull leaving them in your pond. I have a turtle ' rescue' ( the local SPCA, museums ect... call me when they have turtles passed into them because they have escaped from their homes or people discover how much work they are and want to get rid of them). The majority I get are red eared racers/sliders and eastern paints. They really do need alot of space out of water to dry off, bask and to help the shedding. A small rock in a pond is not enough, plus it highlights them for other animals to come along and snatch them up. If your fish are smaller then thier head they'll eat them too found that out the hard way, thought the fish were big enough not to be bothered.
This is kind of funny but the best set up I found for turtles ( I have 6 at the moment) is an under the bed box. Long and low, and you can use the lid for a ramp for them to get in and out of the water with. No worries about them using the washroom on the floor most turtles can only go in water. A filter hooked to the side, no natural stuff ( ie: wood) in the tank and no real worry over them spreading germs. Very simple to clean.
I do use a pond in the summer about 4' away from the edge of it I have a 1' rock wall so they can't escape so easily, although 1 keeps trying to dig out every year

Otheila
Old 03-06-2003, 03:18 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Escaping turtles is a very good point. I'm a bit nervous about putting them outside, but a friend of mine that used to work at an animal sanctuary has offered to help us design our pond so they can't run for the hills(or in the case the stream lol!!). It may end up being a moot point anyway because dh is getting peeved at the amount of work they are turning out to be. Typical case of "too cute" as little babies the size of nickels, but now that they're 4-6-8 inches across and like to nip his fingers, it's a whole different story lol!! Fortunately, there's a lady that has a real pond in her yard that will take them so they will have a good home if we decide to get rid of them. I don't mind the work--it's no worse than any other pet--but am growing tired of listening to dh complain about the grungy water(need a new filter--he prefers to just keep changing the water).
Old 03-06-2003, 03:27 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I love bettas--I think they are the most beautiful fish in the world!! We had a male and some females a while back. Dh thought it would be cool to breed them, so we set everything up and when the time was right we put the male and a female together. We had put a little hiding place in the tank so the female could hide(the males do get a bit rough). When we checked on them about 10 minutes later, the female had the male by his tailfin and was dragging him around the tank!! Expecting this(we'd done lots of research!)we left them alone. When we checked again, the male was in the hiding spot, sans fins lol!! We could only asuume she wasn't in the mood lol!! We never tried again, btw.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:35 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

I use to have a fish tank with all sorts of fish.

Now the only fish I have is a stuffed pillow trout fish and the frozen sticks in my freezer.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

MrsManiac.
If you need a new filter for turtles I really recommend a large Fluval filter if you have a large tank. I used 2 in my 60 gallon tank ( 5 turtles). They are expensive but well worth it. Mine lasted for about 10 years before they died.
Try the bed box for keeping them in if you don't mind having them walk around a designated room. It takes all of 10 minutes to clean and most of that is filling it back up. The 6 we have now measure 14'' to 6'' in the shell. Once a week for cleaning. I still have to find a home for one. 5 of them are ours, they are ones we originally saved on our own. 1 someone wanted to but a eyehook in the top of his shell, we got him so he's be ok. Another has shell deformities and is partially paralized. We keep the ones that had a real hard life.
We had received a male that we had shipped out west to a turtle refuge to help their pop. out in the wild, I quess males are rare now.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:07 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Male red-eared sliders are rare?? I didn't know that!!

Isn't it amazing how stupid and cruel people can be when it comes to animals? Trying to put in eyehook in a turtle shell...what the &*%$#!!! were they thinking??

Thanks for the info on the filter--we have three turtles in a 55 gallon tank(they're still pretty small, but we have a larger tank on standby lol) and the filter we have does ok except they like to sit on the tubes lol!! I'm seriously thinking of buying a kiddie pool and putting them in the basement, but it's a bit chilly down there and I'm not sure dh would go fo them being able to walk around. Which is funny, because he wants to build a pen down there eventually so I can have a tortoise!! Men!! I don't think it would be a problem--They are pretty stationary except when they're eating. I would think they'd like a bit of room!!
Old 03-12-2003, 11:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We have a huge tank...about 110 gallons. I have only inexpensive fish in it right now..mostly feeder guppies.
We had 6 Neons, 5 Cory Cats, 1 Pearl Danio, and 6 Swordtails...Something has killed most of those in the past 2 weeks.........2 apple snails, also.
I am gonna wait maybe another week, and buy more Catfish, and some platys..........I seem to have good luck with those. The guppies need no help....they breed like bunnies!