Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 06-22-2002, 08:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Beta Fish

I have a 3 year old that loves to look at the fish, and occasionally try to pet it. LOL We have had our beta fish for going on over 6 months now He seems to be very resistant to tiny hands trying to touch him. The rumor that they will bite a finger is not true. They are very pretty to look at and inexpensive to buy. I found the beta to be my best bet
Old 06-22-2002, 10:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

chuckle Fish Tank idea

Try a Betta tank and fish (singular they don't do well in groups) These tanks have a lid that can be fixed so that you cannot take them off easily (for kids) and they are plastic. They are small so that you could put it on a shelf out of your sons reach but still low enough to see. They are also nice in other rooms of the house using a large glass flower vase and putting green plants in it for the fish to hide behind. The plants live a long time.

Jackie s
Old 06-22-2002, 11:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

chuckle

I've had fish for 20 years. For an easy tank for a child, I recommend all guppies or all goldfish. Guppies tanks stay cleaner. Goldfish create some kind of "slime".
mommy to India, Taylor and Trinity
Old 06-22-2002, 01:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

guppies

I think the secret is just plenty of grasses, both anchored and floating. I use artificial (plastic) grasses, though not necessarily grasses that are made exclusively for aquariums. If you can find plastic plants on 1/2 inch grids, about 6x6 or so, they are close together and work perfect. My guppies have guppies about once or twice a week. I started with 2 males and 4 females. I couldn't begin to tell you how many guppies I have now. I started my tank up just after Christmas. I have taken out 3 dead fish since January, 1 original male and 1 original female, and 1 half grown baby.
Old 06-23-2002, 12:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We have had success with guppies also. We started with a Betta and added two guppies three years ago. The betta has since died but the guppies have been quite successful. We have lost the two originals and some others in between but because they are like bunnies we have a whole tank full. We have also privided plastic grass for the babies to hide in, also a ship. They have even lasted two sessions where my dd decided to feed them the whole cannister of food. (Several days of changing the water!) We have also added an algae eater, he is now 1 year old. They have even survived the kitty staring at them
Old 06-23-2002, 12:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

I have a tiny change to make in the above post...breed like hansters!!! Yes. I have a rabbit and hamsters and have first hand knowledge that the hamsters are in heat ever 4DAYS!
Old 06-23-2002, 02:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

A question of fish

I am by no means a fish expert-my DH says there should be a warning sign on my chest when I go into a pet store--"Warning--Kills Fish" !!

However!! I have had my best luck with goldfish. They are relatively easy to care for-don't need a special tank with heat, filter (altho one would help with the "dirt") etc.

They seem to take a fair beating-my DS one time poured iced tea into the tank because he thought they "looked thirsty" ! How he could tell-I'm not sure. And no harm seemed done.

You can get some really beautiful ones-I love picking out "just the right one" out of a huge tank full--it drives the salesperson nuts--no no not THAT one--THAT one!! I've had them hand me the net and say "YOU get the one you want-I quit"!!

And best of all-they're cheap to replace-if you look at bigger pet stores-you can find regular plain goldfish for 10 cents!! in the feeder fish tank-I've found my prettiest ones in those tanks. And they can really get big if they have a big enough tank-growing up I had one that reached 13 inches before it died! It was outside in a pond tho.

For a little more effort-guppys or swordfish are fun too. They breed easily and it's fun to see the little babies. Just provide lots of grass etc. for them to hide in and watch swords-they like to jump out of uncovered tanks-I know-I spend 10.00 on a beautiful pair of what the store called White Angel Swords only to find the male 3 days later as the nucleus of a dust ball on the floor-

Good luck!! Keep us posted on how it turns out!!

A Proud American
Old 06-24-2002, 08:46 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky ponds

to those that were asking about outdoor ponds i have had a 250 gallon one in my yard for about four yaers they are really fun and we started out with just the cheap feeder fish and then added some coy we now have 23 in all when they were small we fed them the fish flake food two time a day when the sun was not on the water(early morning and just before sunset) now that they a bigger we feed them the fish pellets. ans for the winter we leave them in the pond with the fountain running the fish are like bears in the winter they slow down and do not need to be fed. hope this helps.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:14 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Do you need to treat the water with anything, add plants and or rocks or anything How shallow is too shallow?
Old 06-24-2002, 03:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

all we have treated the water with is the stuff that takes the clorine out you can get this at any pet supply store, or home center in the outdoor pond section, i have some cattals and waterlilies, but you don't need them, my pond is in the sun most of the day so they provide shade for the fish, the depth of the pond tapers from about 8-12 inches to about 2- 21/2 feet the plants are in the shallow part the only thing we found that helps alot with the cleaning is a UV BIOFILTER it breaks down the algae and makes it alot more enjoyable. I do have rocks around the pond and designed into the waterfall, you can also use them in the pond itself, the ideas for a outdoor pond are endless.