FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Pets & Animals (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/pets-animals/)
-   -   Pet for a 3 year old (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/pets-animals/10059-pet-3-year-old.html)

shanstar4u2 03-24-2004 03:30 PM

Pet for a 3 year old

I am thinking about buying my 3 year old daughter a pet for her birthday? Any good ideas? Love to hear your advise....

Amanda 03-24-2004 04:45 PM

I'm assuming you are looking for something cuddly :) And I hope I am not being too forward here, but with her young age you will want to be certain that you are present whenever she holds and handles her new pet as children often don't understand that animals hurt too ;-)

Guinea pigs are WONDERFUL pets for children. They are very social (which is why I would recommend having 2 rather than just 1) and very gentle. They may experiment with their teeth, so be sure to teach her not to stick her fingers in or near their mouths. If held and loved regularly, guinea pigs will become very loved pets.

Another good choice are rabbits. Dwarf bunnies are small and make great house pets. Did you know that you can little box train a bunny? Then they can run about the house if you are comfy with that :)

I wouldn't go with a gerbil or a hamster at this young age. They often bite and are VERY fast if they get away. They also can get into small places and will be lost forever, much to the heartache of your little one.

shanstar4u2 03-24-2004 04:47 PM

Guniea Pig

I never thought of that one... Thanks for your input. I am definitely going to have to talk to the husband about it but that sounds like a good choice.

Amanda 03-24-2004 04:49 PM

You are quite welcome :) We have always had guinea pigs and we love them. I can't remember ever NOT having them! ;-)

luvsbirds 03-24-2004 08:35 PM

For a 3 year old.
Well I know when my kids were 3 they got a kick out of feeding the gold fish or a beta fish.
Its not cuddly, I know, But they learned the responsibility of taking care of them.
Dont know if that is what you are looking for.
But that was something my kids liked.
As they got older we had rabbits, birds, cats, and dogs.
Have fun.

shanstar4u2 03-25-2004 12:50 PM

I thought about that and I also thought about the overfeeding and the opportunity of goldfish dying so easily...That wouldn't be easy to explain yet.

MrsManiac 04-22-2004 02:05 PM

I would also suggest a guinea pig--I'm thinking of buying some for my kids. They are easy to care for, and very gentle. I've even seen little harnesses so you could walk them!

A fish might not work out so well--my 3yo is always trying to pet the fish in our tanks. He does enjoy feeding them and spends a good deal of time watching them swim. He was actually the first to notice that our Convict had laid eggs!! But trying to keep those little hands out of the water is a chore lol!!

shanstar4u2 04-22-2004 02:15 PM

Hello

Thats what I was thinking. I was trying to talk my hubby into a pig but he said we don't live on Green Acres. So I guess we are going to go ahead and get her a dog for her birthday...

Robin whittington 05-09-2004 09:29 AM

:daisy: By now you may have already picked out your pet.
I'd say I'd have to agree with a rabbit or guinea pig.
Of course a dog or cat would be fine if you do a little research on them. Dogs and cats require more care. They have to have vaccinations, heart worm prev. routine flea control grooming etc.
Rabbits and guinea pigs eat lots of hay, good qulaity pellets and veggies and fruit. They required things to chew on.
Rabbits make good house pets but as long s you provide goo shelter and plenty of attention they can be kept outside. Guinea Pigs should be kept inside and do not litter box train well.
Both need toys to play with to keep them active and from being bored.
Both can have a bath if needed but should be kept from getting chilled.
Playpens that are under cover and superivised in an untreated area of the yard are a specail treat. Just be aware of predators on the ground and in the sky.
Guinea PIgs and Rabbits both benefit from regular nail trimmings.
Good Luck!
Robin in NC

shanstar4u2 05-10-2004 11:29 AM

Thanks

No I haven't bought the pet her 3rd birthday is actually in less than a month and I'm still trying to decide. Hubby wants a dog but guess who will take care of it. I would love a much smaller animal like a gunea pig or rabbit. We will see...:)