Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 03-20-2004, 09:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
STOP! Dont Buy that Bunny! ( As an Easter Present)

by Bruce Atchison

It's a common scene each Easter. Parents take their kids to look at the bunnies in the pet shop and end up buying one on a whim. Then the problems start. The poor animal ends up being caged all day long and fed a poor diet of harmful foods, he or she won't play with the children like a dog will, being naturally timid, and the novelty wears off. Rabbits are especially afraid of being picked up and have unintentionally hurt themselves and small children.

When the bunny reaches sexual maturity, he or she will become aggressive, leave droppings all over the place, and may do embarrassing things to shoes or stuffed toys. Male rabbits even spray their owners with urine. Many people end up dumping the poor animal in a park, where predators and illness lurk, or at an animal shelter where he/she will most likely be euthanized due to the overflow of other unwanted pets.

If you are ever in the mood to have a pet rabbit, tick where your answer is yes to these questions and see if a bunny will be a welcome family member or just another irksome chore.

__ Are you and your family willing to spend a few hours per day quietly on the floor, gaining your rabbit's confidence?

__ Can you convince your children that the bunny is a fragile living creature with feelings and emotions just like they have?

__ Will you set aside time to find out what your new pet requires for food, shelter, and medical care?

__ Can you provide your rabbit with a quiet and cool, but not damp, place to escape from too much attention?

__ Are you willing to find a rabbit savvy veterinarian for your new furry friend?

__ Will you be willing to provide cardboard boxes and other chewable toys for your bunny's entertainment?

__ Are you willing to "bunny proof" your home by covering up electrical wires and phone cords, putting up chew proof baby gates in doorways, and otherwise preventing your fur-clad companion from gnawing on things like furniture?

__ Are you, or your spouse and children, allergic to hay or pet fur?

__ Will you be willing to spend the money when your rabbit requires neutering/spaying surgery as well as any shots and other vet costs?

If you ticked yes to all these questions, you are a prime candidate for a house rabbit. You'll find that your new companion is an affectionate, clean, humorous, and delightful pet. When you give your bunny loving respect for his/her particular needs, you'll have a loyal heartwarming furry friend for 10 years or longer.

Far from being an unresponsive lump of fur just sitting in a hutch, your house rabbit can develop a remarkable personality which will amaze and enchant both you and your family. Your kids may also learn to be gentle with, and caring about, other animals and perhaps even each other.

Reprinted from FamilyCorner.com Magazine

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-05-2006, 04:41 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Just bumping this up, because it is close to Easter time!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 04-15-2007, 07:24 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My kids have always asked for a bunny. For years I said no. I had many rabbits as pets as a kid. So I know they are alot of work. My youngest daugher and son were at the pet store with their father getting more fish. When my youngest daugher was 4 we ended up getting her fish for her birthday in June we told her if she could take care of them for 5 years she could have her own bunny. Taking care of them ment that she had to feed them daily since we have a 70gallon aquarium and she can not clean that. She learned later how to check ph balance and when to add salt and other stuff to the tank. She still has the three original fish that she got for her 4th birthday. It hasn't been 5 years but close to 4. When she was at the pet store that my nefhews godfather owns. She begged and begged her daddy for a bunny. He said that we had to ask mommy. I told her lets look up some information. We looked up care, diet, and other stuff. The next day 3 weeks before Easter daddy suprised her with her bunny. As of today we have had Cookie for 5 weeks and she does a wonderful job with him. She feeds and loves him daily, cleans out his litter boxes before he decides to dump them in the morning. If they are not clean he dumps them. We had him litter trained in a week and a half. Our kitchen is the safest place for him to run around due to safety wise so there is a gate up so he can not get out of the kitchen during the day his cage is left open so he has free run. He gets lots of love from us all. But he can also be a pain in the butt at times. Last week while deep cleaning the kitchen I closed his cage and you would have thought I was going to leave him in there forever. He was looking at me with the saddest eyes and every time I walked near the cage he would stand at the door. My daugther walked in the kitchen and he started jumping up and down because he knew she would let him out. The only thing that we have not found yet is a vet that will take him. My brothers dog has to go to the vet this coming week so he is going to find out if he will take him. He sould be nutered by the time he is 6 months old. We have time but need to get it done before we know it.

Rabbits are alot of work and need alot of attention and care. But they can be the best pets around.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We have friends who have pet rabbits.....they run free in the house and use a litter box just as our cat would. He is the friendliest little guy. Thier son can not have cats or dogs because of allergies but can have a rabbit.

Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 04-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by debknechtel
We have friends who have pet rabbits.....they run free in the house and use a litter box just as our cat would. He is the friendliest little guy. Thier son can not have cats or dogs because of allergies but can have a rabbit.

Hugs Debbie
This is off the bunny topic but my DH and I were just talking yesterday about how his family raised ducks when he was growing up. They would get them as ducking, raise them and give them back to the farmer when the time came. Anyway, he was telling me that they would stay in the house with them and his mother would litter train them too. I had never heard of such a thing!

I am happy to hear that your friends' little boy can enjoy a pet too! I had no idea that they could be litter trained either.

I love learning something new every day!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Assistant Moderator

No Easter time but we aren't allowed to have rabbits in Queensland