Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Food > Recipe Exchange > Pasta & Sauces

View Poll Results: What do you think of Lazy Lasagna?
Yuck 0 0%
It's okay 0 0%
It's good 1 20.00%
LOVE IT 0 0%
Never tried it 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2002, 10:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lazy Lasagna

I call this lazy lasagna because you do not need to cook noodles and can be prepared ahead of time for minimal clean up later.

Lasagna noodles (I get 16ct. box)
1lb. ground beef
32ons. Spagetti Sauce
1lb. Cottage cheese
8ons. Sour Cream
1/2c. Parmesean cheese
16ons. Mozzarella cheese

(note:the above amounts are the average, a little more or less won't make a huge difference and get no fat if you prefer)

1c. water

If you are cooking right away preheat oven to 350.

Brown ground beef and drain. Add spagetti sauce then let simmer on low. (This is where I add garlic, italian seasoning, basil and onion just because I like it. It is not necessary though.)
In a mixing bowl combine cottage cheese and sour cream

Then layer starting with a very thin layer of meat (this keeps it from sticking to bottom of pan)
Then noodles (I get four across for each layer)
Then spread on a layer of cottage cheese/sour cream mix
Then sprinkle on parmesean and mozzarella
Then meat again
Repeat till mixtures are gone or you run out of pan. (These amounts fill my pan with no excess)

If you are cooking later cover and refridgerate. (I have never froze one, but would be interested to hear how it turns out)
I have refridgerated for later in the week (approx. four days )and it was great.When you are ready to cook follow below.

When you are ready to cook pour the water around edge of lasagna. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Then remove foil and bake for 30 minutes more or until the cheese is brown and bubbly.

You can serve right away (but don't burn yourself) or just let it sit in oven till ready to serve (my choice because it stays in perfect little squares if I wait at least 30 minutes to an hour, rather then melting across the plate)

It is fabulous, enjoy!
Old 02-11-2002, 10:17 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Beth

Hope you don't mind that I added a line to your poll I have never tried this form of lasagna. I have tried making lasagna without cooking the noodles first and it came out fine, the only problem I had saw if there were any noodles that were not completely covered by sauce they were hard.

I have to say tho, using the water sounds really interesting! I'll have to try this sometime. I wonder tho if the sour cream mixture could be replaced by ricotta cheese? That's what I like to use in my lasagna

Thanks for the recipe!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 02-11-2002, 11:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Amanda, the water does the trick for those hard noodles and I'm sure ricotta cheese would be fabulous. I just use sour cream because its always in the house and I can reduce the calories by using non-fat ingredients (i.e. cottage cheese, sour cream) although I blow it with the parmesean and mozzarella. Oh well! Thanks for adding the line in the poll, I have never used a poll and didn't think of it. Happy Cooking!
Old 02-11-2002, 11:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My guys don't like ricotta cheese or cottage cheese. Sooooo...
I make mine with lots of Mozzerella, Chedder, and Parmesan Cheeses and its really good! I have tried the no boil noodles but didn't like them as well.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

KimmyO, The other cheeses sound great, I'll try them next time and I use the regular noodles. I've never tried the no boil noodles. The cup of water cooks the noodles while its in the oven, therefore no hard noodles. Thanks for the other cheese idea. Hmmm
Old 02-11-2002, 03:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

You are quite welcome!

I know it sounds a little unconventional for Lasagna but I have served it for company too and no one has ever complained or asked why there is no ricotta cheese in it.