desperately seeking Baby shower ideas - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Party Ideas Tired of the same old birthday and holiday parties? Share your ideas and creativity here!

Old 09-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Big Grin desperately seeking Baby shower ideas

We are expecting our first grandchild in December and I am having the baby shower in October ...I desperately need ideas for food ,decorations,fun games and prizes.I want it to be wonderfully sweet and spectacular but also budget friendly.We are expecting between 30 and 40 people.It's a girl and the nursery and shower are going to be pink with a garden theme.If anyone has any ideas,Id really appreciate them.Thank you in advance.
Hugs,Elaine

David's wife Elaine

Old 09-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
WooHoo!! Congratulations!!!

I can fill you up with ideas!

Have you seen the diaper cakes that people make? They are really simple to do. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Diaper-Cake

Do a search on Google under images for pics of tons of them. They are so cute!

I love the garden them idea!!

As for food, do you want to keep it to finger foods or would you prefer more of dinner type food?

Cupcake trees are really popular now instead of cakes. You could decorate the cupcakes with flowers and place a little plastic baby in the center of each one and cover her with flowers.

I have to run out for a bit but I'll be back with more ideas!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Happy face baby shower foods....

Hello and thank you for your help,so far! I am planning to have finger foods...unless I do a soup buffet in crock pots.I am making croissants with ham,weenies with bbq sauce in the crockpot,apples with caramel apple dip,fruit tray with assorted fruits and fruit dip,and a cake is being made for her...too cute,its white with a big flower in the middle and a baby in the middle of it.There is an option of a taco bar,too...just undecided at the moment,lol.
The nursery is pink with a garden theme...lots of flowers and butterflies and ladybugs and Im putting a picket fence on the wall with big gerber daisies attached to it....and accents of grandparents that have passed on,too......my dad called my daughter "piggie" so there is a pig in the room and also he loved owls so the baby has a baby snow owl watching over her crib.Anyway...didnt mean to go on and on,lol.
Thank you for any and all help.THis is my first shower to give and I want it to be just right.....well as right as it can be anyway.Cant wait to hear more ideas!! Love the diaper cake!
hugs,
Elaine

David's wife Elaine

Old 09-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I think that you have all of the food menu under control! Great ideas.

Do you have shower momentos for them to take home? If not, here is a cute idea that would fit right into your theme. Really cute if you "plant" them into terra cotta pots in the middle of the table. http://www.familycorner.com/homegarden/crafts/4.shtml

You could make them single like the picture to give away as prizes if you are playing games or you could just make a bunch of the flower pens and stick them into the pots and everyone can take one.

Light green tablecloths would look pretty with the flower pot/pens in the middle of each table.

Are you planning on shower games?

What other kinds of ideas are you looking for?

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 09-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: Melbourne, Australia, the World's most liveable city!
Hi Elaine, I am in the same situation - my grandchild is due 3rd Dec. I am hosting the baby shower at my dd's home on 21st October.
As they/ we don't know the sex of the baby everything is being kept to lemon and soft green colours, a splash of pink and blue here and there.

We are having a light finger food lunch and as we are having Spring weather now we will have light things such as club sandwiches, sausage rolls, mini quiches, mini muffins, a cup cake tower, slices, fruit punch, potato crisps, etc.

I love the idea of the diaper (nappy in Australia) cake and will make one of those, even though my daughter is going to use cloth nappies mostly she will also use some disposables. That cake looks so cute!

Another girl is taking control of the games, so I only have to concentrate on the food.

We are having about 30 guests I believe, dd has done the invites.

I can imagine you are as excited as I am. I have some grands on my husband's side, and 2 who my son's ex doesn't allow us to be part of, so this is really special.

Looking forward to hearing more about your shower and the arrival of your little granddaughter.

"Love people, not things.
Use things, not people"
Old 09-16-2007, 07:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

ooohhh Lynne, your food lineup sounds great too!

I love pastel baby colors!! What sort of decorations are you doing?

There are so many cute ideas out there for cupcake towers now. I love baking and decorating cupcakes!

All of this baby talk makes me very happy for both of you!! I am past my baby days but I love helping others plan their showers.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 09-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I agree that the diaper cake idea is great. Lots of people do them now and they are easy to make from what I see.

Another idea I saw on another board was to ask each guest (in the invitation) to bring a new or old children's book to help start off the baby's collection of books. You can get a bookshelf and have it at the shower set up for the guests to put their book in.

For favors you can get baby feet soap, they have them here http://www.specialtysoapshop.com & they come in all colors and fragrances. They have other baby soaps too. They are just too cute. My friend's Mom had these at her shower.

You can make a nice pasta salad with cubes of cheese and cut up deli meat in it. I love the stuff. just made it the other day haha
Old 09-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I love the book idea!! What a great way to start a reading collection!!

You could even do this for their 1st birthday party!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 09-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I just love babies and showers! This is some of what I did for the last one I helped with. We played a game called "My water broke!" For this you make ice cubes 1/2 full and put a charm on top and fill the rest of the way and freeze. Put them in individual glasses and hand out when all the guests have arrived. As the party goes on, when their ice cube melts and the charm is released they must yell "My water broke!" Everyone got to keep their charm and was given a piece of elastic to put it on for their wrist.

I made a cheese ball and used a mold for a teddy bear to shape it.

Everyone put their name and address on an envelope (from Thank You cards) and we pulled one name for a gift of a powder scented candle. These addressed envelopes were used by the mom to be for her Thank You cards.

I scrambled names of usual and unusual baby items. EG: paried = diaper.

Check out the Internet by searching baby shower games and food. There are some great ideas out there.

Have fun and congratulations!
Old 09-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I had a shower last week for our new grandbaby coming, and the thank you cards are a great idea. We had everyone address the envelopes for a "door prize" Also, when we have showers, we consider punch a "must". You use rainbow sherbert, pineapple juice (lg can) and ginger ale. Its yummy. Everyones favorite fingerfood was the pinwheels....tortillas spread with garden vegetable cream cheese and a slice of ham lunch meat. Then roll and slice. FYI, on one of our games we had a "tie" so for a tie breaker, we had the two finalists try to guess the weight of mom to be! Good luck!