Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Party Ideas Tired of the same old birthday and holiday parties? Share your ideas and creativity here!

Old 09-05-2007, 02:36 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

How many kids for a party? HELP!

Hi,
My 5 year old just started kindergarten and his birthday is only a month away. I need some advice on who to invite! We live in a pretty small town (pop about 1200) and I'm worried about anyone being upset if their kid isn't invited. But his class also has 20 kids! They wouldn't fit in our house and I don't know what I would do to keep them all entertained. Also, there is no where to rent for a bday party in our town, it's too small and the pool is closed for the year.
The nearest city has options but I don't know how many parents would want to drive their kids 45 minutes to a party.
I'm really tempted to just have a party for him with family this year and maybe send a cake to school on his bday. But he gets upset at that idea.
Is it a bad idea to only pick 5-10 of the kids in his class for a smaller party?
Old 09-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I remember reading when my kids were little that their age was a good number to invite. So if he will be 5 then 5 friends. Alternatively, just the boys (that seems common at that age.) Will this be one of the first parties for his class for the year? Other parents will probably thank you (although maybe not to your face) if you set the standard at some rather than all. When you decide come back. I'm sure we can help plan an excellent party that they will all be raving bout, whichever way you choose to go!
Old 09-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I was going to post the exact same answer that Meg did.

Is there a way that you could send cupcakes to school for the class on his birthday? Maybe that would stop everyone from feeling left out. If you are really inclined, you could make up goodie bags for everyone or give the birthday boy pencils to hand out to everyone.

Also, try to hand out the invitations directly to the parents or make a phone call to them. This way, it helps from hurting everyone's feelings when the invites aren't handed out by your son at school to just a few kids.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good point on the invites . Nothing worse than waiting for yours and you don't get one! I used to make cupcakes and blutack them to the cake board in the shape of the number (5). They were still in their paper of course!!
Old 09-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Our school has a policy that if you are a boy or girl you either invite all the boys or girls or you don't hand the invites out in school. If you are only inviting certain boys or girls they require you to have your child ask the kids they are inviting foe their addresses. At only 5 that might be complicated. So, I would just invite the boys or stick to the family only party. Your son is young yet and still making friends. He will have plenty more parties where you will be spending money,money,money. I tried doing the party thing every year with kids from school but it got to be too much with 4 kids. Then they all were going to other kids parties and that cost. So, we stick to family and only friends when it's really special. For example, turning 13,16,18 and of course graduation. I live in a small town too and we have some that like to do big every year, to see who can do better than the other. That is just ridiculious, so thankfully I've made friends with the other moms that aren't like that. If you need to meet other parents and your son other boys to play with then I would definately do something simple. The most I ever did was having clowns come to my sons birthday party and they put on a show with live animals,did face painting and animal balloons. This was also affordable. You could play pin the tail on the donkey, do face painting yourself or have a pinata. Hope this helps. Let us all know how it turns out.

Tara
Old 09-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I think that at age 5 the kids won't really be upset. My mom always had our closest friends at our parties. 5-7 kids tops. She always sent cupcakes to school and no one every complained or got upset that they weren't invited. Also, no boys were every invited to my childhood parties only the girls.