Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Party Ideas Tired of the same old birthday and holiday parties? Share your ideas and creativity here!

Old 03-19-2007, 12:56 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Help with Birthday Party

I'm a single Dad with a three year old looking for some advice on planning his birthday party. I'm looking to have a small gathering of 8-10 people. He doesn't seem to have one preference on what he thinks is his favorite cartoon or show. What are the hot items right now? Also, since I don't have alot of time to shop for this stuff, is there any place you might suggest to order the items from? I've heard of a few website for party supplies but want to know what other people have for preferences and why. Price, shipping, etc...
Thanks for any help.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

First off welcome to Family Corner ...we have a few dads on the site.

My kids are a little older but I think Thomas the tank engine is still pretty big, as is Diego, cars may be too I have always found the fire fighter themes are a big hit.
If you are not able to make your own cake just about any grocery with a bakery will have a list of cakes they can make. I am not sure of web sites to buy stuff..I always tried to save a few dollars and found that many dollar stores have everything I need to make a great party. I of course being from Canada am not up on the all the stores in the states. I am sure some other members will have some great ideas.

Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 03-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

What about a fire fighter party with hats and a pinyata. do you have a party store near you? you can take him there to see what he likes and find all kind of party ideas there.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

If you have a dollar tree store near you ,you might want to check that out as they have some party things .As for online party stores sorry I can't help you there.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Nice to see another Dad here with us!

I have a 3 (almost 4) yr. old who loves Dora and Diego. Both boys and girls love them.

Blues Clues, Bob the Builder, Fire Trucks, Army Men, bike theme, race car theme, motorcycles, trucks like dump trucks, cement mixers...ect.

One show that my daughter absolutely loves is Big Foot Presents Meteor and the Mighty Montster Trucks show.

Another really easy party theme would be to use all primary colors everywhere....a few balloons and music.

3yr. olds get bored easily. There main "wants" is to open gifts and to play! (maybe cake too. ). Don't stress yourself over this party! Have fun....they are only that small for a little while!

I would recommend buying a cupcake for the little one to use to blow out the candles and to eat. You would not believe the number of people who have told me that they refuse to eat a piece of cake after a young one has "blown" out (I should say spit on) the candles on their cake. My husband and I watched this very thing happen when my nephew turned 2 and my DH will never forget it.

I have to agree with the Dollar Tree for great accessories like small gifts like coloring books, story books, cars, and plates, napkins decorations to go with your party theme or favorite color.

I know that a lot of people purchase things from the Oriental Trading Company online. I can't speak from experience, though.

Once you decide what style or theme you are going to use, if you would like more ideas, please let us know!

I hope that you will join us in other areas of the forums too. We are always in need of a Dad's opinion around here!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have ordered from Oriental Trading and have been satisfied BUT you have to give them lots of lead time or pay through the nose on shipping. A lot of the same stuff can be found in dollar stores, party stores or Walmart.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:11 PM

I've never personally ordered from BirthdayExpress.com but my sister uses it for her children's birthdays. They have a wide variety of themes. Plus they have all the essentials needed-plates, napkins, favors if you want them.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I really like the idea of primary colours or just pick two or three colours that you/he like.
Keep it really simple. It can be really frustrating as a parent to put a heap of work into something and have the kids not want to do it.
The kids at my playgroup (which is a 2 -4 yr old range) like games like ring a rosie and duck, duck, goose. Musical statues is fun too. No games where kids go out or 'win' as such at this age. A really simple treasure hunt outside could also be fun. Hide lollies or small gifts and let them find them, bring them to a central location, then a grown up can out them equally in take home bags.
Will the parents be staying? That is usually good with the little ones.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:26 AM
Nine Year Member

Some Skating rinks let you have birthday parties.
All you would have to do then is a birthday cake, drinks, balloons. And pay for the skating. Then have a parent stay with their child to help with the skating. Then instead of a goodie bag or treat sack. Take a photo of the child skating and either give out the picture at the end of the party or send in a thank you note. Usually by the end of the party the kids are really tired out.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Welcome Spottedsharklover,

My kids always loved the parties MCDONALDS puts on...the kiddies get their favorite food, and they get entertained too..then the kids played in fun room. The best part is, all the mess is left there. lol

Chucky Cheese is another place to have birthdays.

janet