Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Party Ideas Tired of the same old birthday and holiday parties? Share your ideas and creativity here!

Old 09-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Castle Cake!

I found this cake while looking for something to make for Halloween since my DD wanted to be a Princess this year. I thought that it was so cute!

***see note on bottom of page

CASTLE CAKE

Directions:
1. Grease and flour baking pans; line muffin cups with bake cups. Prepare 1 recipe cake batter (see White Cake recipe below); divide evenly between prepared square pans. Bake in 350 degrees F oven about 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Prepare second recipe white cake batter; fill prepared round pans and muffin cups half full. (You need 5 cupcakes for the castle cake. You will have enough batter to make a few extra cupcakes.) Bake in a 350-degree F oven about 20 minutes for cupcakes and about 30 minutes for round cakes, or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool cakes and cupcakes.

2. Prepare Creamy White Frosting as directed (see Creamy White Frosting recipe below). Tint about 4 cups frosting purple, 1/2 cup frosting green, 1/2 cup frosting orange, and 1/2 cup frosting yellow. (You should have about 1 cup white frosting remaining.) For square cake, spread about 1/2 cup white frosting on top of 1 square layer; top with other square layer. For round cake, spread remaining white frosting on 1 round layer; top with remaining round layer. Place about 1 cup of the purple frosting in a decorating bag that has been fitted with coupler; set aside. Place each of the other colored frostings in decorating bags fitted with a coupler.

3. To assemble, place square cake on the cutting board. If desired, make a moat around cake with foil and plastic wrap. Place round cake on cardboard cake circle. Cut 8 drinking straws to same height as square cake. Insert 4 of the straws near middle of square cake. Insert the remaining 4 straws on the outside corners of the square cake. (Straws add support for top of cake and cupcakes.) Place round cake on top of square cake, centering on bottom cake and resting cake circle on straws. Frost both round and square cakes by spreading with remaining purple frosting.

4. To decorate, fit decorating bag filled with purple frosting with medium star tip; pipe swirls around edge of 5 cupcakes, top edge of round cake, and top edge of square cake. Gently press candy corn, points up, into frosting swirls on round and square cakes, leaving space on corners of square cake for cupcakes to stand. Using more purple frosting, attach pieces of white candy bar to castle for door and windows. Pipe another row of frosting around base of square cake; press gumdrops into frosting.

5. To finish cupcakes, press an ice-cream cone, point up, into the frosting piped on each cupcake. Fit decorating bags filled with green, orange, and yellow frosting with small round or star tips; pipe windows and other designs onto cones. Use ribbon, toothpicks, and tape to make flags. Attach flags to points of cones using a little frosting. Place 4 cupcakes on corners of square cake and 1 cupcake on top of round cake. (If desired, decorate any remaining cupcakes for additional servings.)

6. If desired, make trees by decorating additional cones; arrange around castle. For drawbridge, position large piece of white candy bar over moat; arrange gumdrops around moat. Attach string licorice to drawbridge with some piped frosting. To serve, remove straws as needed when cutting cake

***My daughter has decided that she wants to be a butterfly now instead of a Princess. The cake is still adorable!!

Enjoy!!!
Attached Images

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Nine Year Member

where did you find this cake?? I'd like to send a link to a friend of mine who wants to start a business making cakes at home-she's a decorator already at Wal~Mart. Maybe I can get her to make this for my dgd next year-since Gabby always says she's a princess....
Old 09-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

This Cake Is So Adorable!