Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Party Ideas Tired of the same old birthday and holiday parties? Share your ideas and creativity here!

Old 07-25-2006, 07:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Donation Party

For my dd's 9th birthday party, her guest list included more than 30 kids (plus siblings)! We were planning a pool party at a local hotel and there really was no limit on the amount of kids that came. She is an only child and so we have encouraged her to be a friend to everyone, which means that everyone is invited to everything! She has friends in school, at church, in step-dancing class, and in our neighborhood.

Also, because she is an only child (and only grandchild on both sides of our family), she really does not want for very much. After talking about the amount of kids she wanted to invite and what that would mean in the way of gifts, we came up with a compromise. She chose an organization that she wanted to help support and we requested that everyone make a donation to that organization rather than bring a gift for her. This way, we would be helping someone less fortunate and she would still get gifts from her immediate family.

She chose the local humane association and they supplied us with a list of items that they had a need for. She wanted a "The Dog" party and we just included this list in her invitations.

Her very generous Aunt & Uncle gave a large donation to the organization, but all of her friends brought items from the list. The kids said they all had fun going to the pet store and picking out gifts for the animals.

We delivered all types of stuff from food, cat litter, bowels, collars, pet carriers and toys. The staff at the humane society were overwhelmed and our daughter loved that she was able to help all these animals! She truly understood what it means to give something of ourselves to help another.

She is already considering what organization she'll choose to donate to for her 10th birthday party.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:50 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

That is a neat idea! The kids were able to buys gifts, which is fun to do and your DD was able to make a contribution to society.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
This is one of the best party ideas that I have ever heard of!! How wonderful for your daughter to be so thoughtful!

The humane society is a wonderful choice.

A nursing home would be another place where members would truly appreciate gifts and if allowed, visits from the kids.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Tami - that's a great idea! Wouldn't that be great if we could have the party there??? My dad has 2 german shepherds that are trained to be visitation dogs that he takes to nursing homes each week. I should check with them to see if we can do something through them. Thanks for the idea!
Old 07-25-2006, 08:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowemommy
Tami - that's a great idea! Wouldn't that be great if we could have the party there??? My dad has 2 german shepherds that are trained to be visitation dogs that he takes to nursing homes each week. I should check with them to see if we can do something through them. Thanks for the idea!
You're welcome! When is her BD? Please let us know what she decides to do and how everything turns out!

Good Luck!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Tami, her b-day is 3/31/97 (she is too much like me and likes to start planning as early as possible).

I just sent an email to my mom & dad to get some information on the organization that they work with for the dogs.

My dh and I believe in service to our community and we want to instill the same in her. It really does my heart good to see these qualities shine in her.