Luau Birthday Party - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Party Ideas Tired of the same old birthday and holiday parties? Share your ideas and creativity here!

Old 07-20-2006, 07:35 AM

Luau Birthday Party

Any suggestions for luau themed birthday party for a 9 year old? Thats Miriam's request this year.

Coll
Old 07-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Hi coll, If you will do a search on the message boards for "luau party", it will bring up a lot of different threads with tons of really good ideas.

I was going to post one for you but then I realized that they are spread out and it would just be easier for you to do the search that way you can look at each thread.

Have a great time with your party! It sounds like such a fun theme.

One more thing...... I was in the Dollar Tree at the start of summer and they had a pretty big selection of luau decorations over by the party supplies. Not sure if they still have anything but it might be worth a try.

Many party stores should be starting to have sales on this theme now that everyone is focusing on school and Autumn already.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-20-2006, 09:33 AM

Thanks Tami. I have already gotten some things from The Dollar Tree.
Will be looking through the threads in a bit.
Wish we had a pool to add to the fun, but the luau will have to do.

Coll
Old 07-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Moms Menu also has a thread on having a Luau Party. I do believe that thread has some links that might also help. I hope any of the threads will give you some ideas! Good luck!
Old 07-22-2006, 03:58 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Aloha .......what a fun idea......party cities have a lot of decorations for tropical /luau parties everything you can think of.....look up recipes of guava punch which is great i dont have the recipe right off hand.....check on line for a list of hawaiian names and you can make up cute name tags for the kids with their hawaiian names....what i always do is like they do when you arrive in the hawaii islands have a lei for each person coming and when they arrive place the lei over their heads around their necks and say aloha...if you are outside and dont mind a bit of a mess you can cut starfish shapes out of posterboard and have the kids glue corn meal onto them...looks like a real starfish...cloring sheets of the ocean , lilo and stitch always have a lot of them...i used to make up coloring packages for when the kids were waiting for other guests to arrive. at stores we have wegmans you can have cakes custom made you can get one with a sailboat and the ocean some palm trees....look for hawaiian music party cities have cds for that as well. get a big grass skirt to put around the table.....i had even found a huge grass umbrella to put ontop of my patio umbrella....look for information on doing a hula and teach the kids that day.....hula limbo , tropical musical chairs music from the little mermaid works too sebastian sings a mean under the sea... :-) have blue plastic silverware....and you can get those ice cube shapes that are shaped like palm trees etc. beach boys music is fun and tropical sounding ..every game you come up with can have a tropical hawaiian theme....also you can trace around their feet on poster board ,glue sand onto them and you h ave footprints in the sand. that special craft foamy like squares are great for making flip flops trace the shape of a foot can be the childs cut piece for the top of the shoe and decorate with markers or glitter depending on how brave you are....luaus have lots of cut up fruit maybe the cut up fruit in the water melon is an idea.and cute little umbrella for their guava punch or whatever they are having to drink are fun as well. pistachios, and macadamias are tropical macadamia nut cookes with white chips are very good. you can get some tiki torches or special candles ....if you have some jars the kids can add sand to the jar then add some small seashells then a small candle to the center to take home. the real luau i saw in maui was fun but you cant really have guys dressed in grass skirts playing with fire at a kids party.....each movement in the hula has a meaning i'm sure you could find info about a hula and what the movements mean on line.....tropical parties are a lot of fun they are my favorite kind to have. i went to maui and got that aloha spirit,in fact during some of our rough winter days we have hawaiian night , watch some travel video have some pop with cute umbrellas in it.....maybe pick up a couple of palm plants to make it look more authentic there are lots of decorations out there for luau types of parties..have fun ,hope i've been of help.....i have a friend i e-mail in maui she shares the stories of the warm temps and the breezes off the ocean and they are fascinated with snow so we trade i send her pics of cold and snow..its easier to enjoy snow when you dont have to deal with it for 6 months and its in pics. mahola
Old 08-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Happy face Great ideas for decorations and an activity to do too.

Coll, you can find lot of items at orinetal trading company online, also so many dollar stores carry items like that, since flip flop items are so popular this year. You could even make flip flop coasters as I saw them on a site once. Really easy to do out of colored foam. Also you could buy cheap sandals for a $1 and ribbon and have kids decorate their own sandals to take home, just get various sizes of sandals in order to to this. They kids could decorate them anyway they want with things like beads too, along with the ribbon. I hope this helps you. I am including photos of items mentioned.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2006, 09:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Happy face Fancy flip flops using permanent colored markers, also a flip flop game

Craft Project Directions:
</B>
To make this craft project you will need a pair of flip-flops and some permanent paint pens or markers. Take one of the colored markers and color a design on the flip-flops. Let it dry and then select another color and repeat. When you are finished decorating the flip-flops, let them dry for about 15 to 20 minutes. Enjoy!

You can do bobbing for flip flops, just buy various sizes and number them and give cheap dollar store toys to the winners who get a flip flop with their teeth. I think it would be great fun. Also buy cheap sunglasses for the kids and adults to wear at the party. I hope that helps with your theme.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

coll we did my dd grad party as lua it was fun i got small bowls and put gold fish in them and them took sand and put on the tables around it with shells and then to hold the pop or sodas which every you all call it with got a blow up pool it was fun there is some pic on my site on the signute page ..
Old 09-05-2006, 04:39 AM
Nine Year Member

Lava Lava Island was a popular theme last summer for Vaction Bible Schools so you could call around to some area churchs to see if you could borrow/rent some of their decorations. We had palm trees, grass skirt curtains around the game area, blow up sea animals, active volcano (used dry ice), 3 foot suns, etc.

Roberta
Old 10-20-2006, 06:59 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Here are some ideas for Hawaiian food:

Spiced pork
Rice
Steamed vegetables
Barbeque foods
Fresh fruits- pineapple, strawberries, melons, papyas
Fresh vegetables
Crab salad
Roasted bananas
Macadamia nuts
Hawaiian sweet bread

Dee
http://www.fun-theme-party-ideas.com/luau-party-idea.html
Your fun party ideas can earn you $100 in party supplies!
http://www.fun-theme-party-ideas.com/theme-party-ideas-contest.html