FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Party Ideas (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/party-ideas/)
-   -   Throwing a birthday party for yourself (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/party-ideas/13366-throwing-birthday-party-yourself.html)

trainlady 12-08-2004 10:36 AM

Throwing a birthday party for yourself

Throwing a birthday party for yourself....what do you think....OK or tacky?

hugs,train:hearts:

debknechtel 12-08-2004 11:01 AM

Donna I don't think there is anything wrong with throwing a party for yourself. The only thing I would is ask that guests refrain from bringing a gift or make a donation to my fav charity.!!

Sounds like fun Can I come!!!

Hugs
Debbie

katydid987 01-23-2005 11:35 AM

There is never anything wrong with celebrating yourself - whether it is a birthday, an accomplishment or just because you're you!!!

Plan a terrific party and invite all your friends and family. Thank them for sharing in your life and making it special.

katie

LovedMom 01-23-2005 03:37 PM

My birthday has come and gone and I really was thinking of something like this...a birthday party for myself and invite those whom I want to come. I may want to do it for real at the end of the year (I'm a December child)....

~LovedMom

Lifestar 01-23-2005 08:22 PM

I will be 48 this year (yikes!) But when I turned 45.. and it was clear no one else was making plans, except for Fathers' Day ( which ALWAYS falls on the same weekend as my birthday) .. I decided to throw myself a party..

Let me explain..

In my circle of friends, ever since we were all 25, we have been marking every 5 years with a celebration of each other's b'days. Wether it was a party or an evening out..whatever.. every 5 years, we did something special.. There was a group of between 6 and 15 of us that would gather to celebrate and torture the birthday person..

As we got older,, through divorce, relocation and even death, our numbers shrank, and our finances dwindled..and circumstances a few years ago weren't the brightest.

But I refused to be depressed. I was determined that despite my circumstances, I wasn't going to let my birthday ( my MIDLIFE) get the upperhand. I was going to CELEBRATE my life..and mark the midlife passage in style, and with my friends and family in a way I wanted to ..

I invited everyone. All my family, my neighbors, all my friends.. I invited people I hadn't seen in years,,and some actually came! lol

I invited 100 people and 65 showed up. They wore Hawaiian shirts and most brought nothing but a smile and some good humor. A few of my closest friends gave me small gifts of these little treasure boxes I collect... But that was quietly and privately presented.

I alsed all my guests to be perpared to share a funny, humerous, or pleasant story about me.. ( shy folks were excluded) that was their gift to me..

sooooo.. On the day of my birth, I had nice little celebration with my immediate family. The kids baked a cake.. it was a lovely day. That weekend, I sent the kids to stay with a sitter for the night, and Dh and I transformed my back yard into a TIKI lounge. I had cooked for three days, and hung raffia and lights everywhere.

My BD is in June, so the kid's swing set became the tiki bar, and the porch became the food stations. I ordered Hula Hoops and plastic Leis and sunglasses from Oriental Trading Post. I got colorful decorated straws and sparklers and my BD cake was a "sponge Bob" cake. I rented tables, chairs and a borrowed a car-port tent from a neighbor. We decorated the tables with rafia skirts and floating candles.. A neighbor brought over some (illegal) but safe fireworks.. ( I live on the border of some state-owned Corn fields, so ther was plenty of room for the night to glow..

It was amazing. It was a kid-free zone, So we all got to kick-back and relax. I hadn't done that in 12 years!! I had a blast playing hostess. My brother bartended.. I got some awesome cd's tht were perfect for the evening ( beachboys, 60's music, and some tiki and hawaiian music too) ..

Listening to everyone share stories.. family, friends from school, work, the neighbors, old boyfriends, ambulance corps buddies, people from all the aspects of my lie=fe.. it was so fulfilling.. It was wonderfully worth it.

Two days later I injured my back very badly,,and I was laid up for several months. ( That's when I found FC, BTW!) Ithink if I didn't have the memory from that party to hold onto, I wouldn't have made it through that injury..

Having that party was the best thing I could have done. It was such a wonderful gift that I gave myself!!

Obviously, don't think that it's tacky to host a b'day party for yourself.. IF you know why you are doing it.

For me it was obvious.. I was ushering my midlife crisis in one door, and out the other ! lolol.. or so I thought. ..
ROFLMAO

Anyway, whatever you decide, go with it... and when yur birthday does come.. enjoy it!!

Catwoman 01-24-2005 01:02 PM

I don't think there's a thing wrong with throwing a birthday party for yourself. You get to do whatever the heck you want!

Val, your luau/tiki party sounds like it was a hoot. I bet you guys had a blast.

momofjems 01-24-2005 03:25 PM

Sounds like it is unanimous and I agree. If I did throw a party for myself, I would request no gifts just smiles and good wishes and hugs.
I did throw a party for myself a few years ago, just with my sister and hubby, their son and dil, his young daughter and my hubby and kids. We had fun, I fed everyone, I think we a barbeque. I just wanted all my family to have fun and I wanted to get to know my nephew's wife more, she is about my age.

LovedMom 01-24-2005 07:54 PM

The more and more I hear about throwing myself a party, the more I can't wait to get to the end of the year already (hehehehe) to throw me one!!! i guess I have a lot of time to plan and decide on my theme...the luau did sound great, however, I gotta try something else...i'm already in hawaiii!!!Lol!

momofjems 01-25-2005 04:21 AM

How about a themed party like asking your guests to dress up like in the '60's and decorating your party area with old records and playing music from that time or maybe have them dress up in western wear and playing country music? Or if you don't want gifts for yourself, have them bring gifts for donations to some worthy organization
Just a thought.....gets me thinking

hummingbird_0331 01-25-2005 06:20 AM

I think its fine!

I mean someone should do it for you thou, if they care about you!
But hey I have helped hubby plan mine and everything else so GO FOR IT!! PLAN PLAN PLAN~