Parenting Styles (Today), Compared to Yesteryear

• Let's talk parenting.

What differences do you see (for better or for worse) in the style of parenting present today, as compared to parenting styles of the past?

Margaret
  • Whether it be parenting related, or just a sign of the times, one thing I have noticed about today's generation, is people seem to be less willing to work hard.

As a 60's kid, hard work and effort was what separated you from the rest. If you wanted something, you had to work for it, whereas nowadays, kids seem to be gifted with whatever they want.

Margaret
  • As for today, I don't see much in the way of spanking anymore, whereas when I was growing up, spanking was used religiously.

I used spanking with my own children, yet have mixed feelings about it, particularly with all of the new findings surfacing. Spanking, worked in my home, yielding the results I was after, so I always spanked, however, if I were raising young children today, I would most definitely look at spanking (and it's effects) closer than I did when my kids were little.

Another noticeable change in parenting today as compared to 20 years ago... cloth diaper use. I grew up babysitting in the 70's and everyone used cloth diapers back then. Even throughout the 80's I remember diapers, pins, and rubber pants were still the widely used choice when it came to diapering, though cloth diaper use today is on the rise, which I think is super!

It really is time mothers went back to using cloth diapers.
  • I also really like how safety-oriented baby and children's things are nowadays as compared to yesteryear.
  • As a new gramma, I have noticed a return to natural - meaning, no soothers (unless they absolutely have to) as they seem to be looked at like a failure for not nurturing your child enough. Cloth diapers are making a big come back, but not like ours that we had to fold, they are so wonderful! No store bought baby foods, only homemade. I also was asked to make them homemade wipes out of flannel, they don't like the chemicals used in the store bought ones.

"No tv for my kid" is another - which I think is great. (I confess, I put mine in front of the tv so I could have some peace and quiet now and then.)

I wish the new parents all the best!
  • Congratulations on becoming a grandma, Cooked! Such a fun and happy time that must be.

When it came to raising my children I loved being somewhat self-sufficient in the way I did things. No trips to the store for diapers or baby food, always homemade formula, and anything else I could see to fruition, I practiced.

One thing about those old-fashioned diapers, I always enjoyed folding them, even when I babysat as a teen... and as far as the pinning went, that was my favourite part, and there was no mistaken you had reached the homestretch when rubber pants were pulled back on and the diaper smartly tucked inside the elastics.

Cotton baby washcloths in my house (always), too. You're washing diapers anyway, so what's a few baby washcloths.

While we're confessing, I, too, confess, there were times I used the crib as a means for mommy to enjoy a little me-time. Moms need that every now an then, just as they need a good babysitter whom they can count on and trust, who can come in and spell them off from time to time.