Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues Adoption, kids going to college, multiple children, step parenting, empty nesters, pregnancy issues and more. stay at home parents, working parents, so much to discuss here!

Old 10-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

pulling a child out of college

Dd is plain to sick to attend college. We have filed paperwork with out health insurance along with information from our doctors. Has anyone had to pull a child out of college due to health reason? I have tried talking to the college and have gotten little information. Today I was told we will have to pay the PELL grant back also. I can't stay ahead of the medical bills then this. Any advice?
Old 10-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Maybe if she takes online courses she could keep the grant and transfer it?

You might want to consult an attorney to see where you stand with this.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hee hee

My daughter and I were in violent crash 2 wks into her fall freshman semester. The college was aware of the crash because it made the papers and news. After release from hospitals I called her advisor and school administrators. They walked me thru process of medical withdraw involving doctors records and letter stating she had to recover and should withdraw. The grants she recieved were prorated for time she attended and held in her account till she restarted in spring semester. It was a hassle but worth it to keep her on track.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

As of yesterday she has lost 28 pounds. I will know if our insurance will keep her on this week. I think they will. The doctor sent nine papers of information to the insurance company. When I have that answer I am call the president of the college and dealing with him. He will make everyone work with us. She will go back but not full time. Maybe next semester maybe next fall. It will take her longer to get all the college she wants done but she will get there. Different strokes for different folks, right? lol Thanks so much!
Old 10-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

Don't lose hope. My daughter went back after 6 months and is finishing her associates now and will transfer for her bachelors in january. She chose to take summer classes to catch up some credits because her 1st semester back was not as full as necessary. She is plugging away so just be patience and it'll happen. Most colleges are happy to work with truely sick students.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Is it possible for your daughter to defer for a semester? If she does that instead she may be able to keep the grants. Sometimes you can even defer for a year.

~Mother Theresa

Old 02-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

The college would not work with us, our old insurance would not work with us. Gregg's new insurance is a gift from God. We have three years before she needs to be in college full time.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My DD and I are currently going thru the same thing....she developed very swollen lymph nodes (under armpits at first then to other nodes)in november and couldnt drive, sleep or hold her arms fully to her sides.
She was in aweful pain for weeks and I work full time, college was hour away (she had moved out from home at that time) she moved back home and we are also a hour away from college. I couldnt drive her back and forth, she couldnt write for long and couldnt use her arms to work on the computer.
She was finally refered to an oncoligist. They did test and a byopsy thinking she may have hodgkins...........we were scared to death......but we just last week got the results back negitive on that (THANK GOD).........

BUT..............the college is also making her pay back her pell grant money..and may not give her an open spot if she decides to return next year...........
She and I are both heart broke over this.........

I was sorry to hear your story......We also do not have health insurance (she has medicade but only until the end of March as she will turn 19..........I dont know wha we will do about health issues nor college ...........

(is there an icon for pulling my hair out?)