Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues Adoption, kids going to college, multiple children, step parenting, empty nesters, pregnancy issues and more. stay at home parents, working parents, so much to discuss here!

View Poll Results: How much do you spend on back-to-school shopping?
0 - $50 9 45.00%
$51 - $100 3 15.00%
$101 - $250 3 15.00%
$251 - $500 4 20.00%
$500 or more 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
How much do you spend on back-to-school shopping?

Can you believe that it's that time of year again? School will be back in session in many places in just a few weeks.

Do you go all out when it comes to shopping for clothes for your children or do you shop during sales?

Do you shop yard sales and thrift stores, too?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Last edited by ajrsmom; 07-16-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:36 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I put that I spend between $251 and $500. I have only started buying my GKs school clothes last year. I ordered all their clothing, sock, shoes, underwear, coats, and school lunch bags, online. It is supposed to be clothing that will last the entire year. We live in a hot, dry, climate so short-sleeved shirts are good all 12 months. Now that the kids are with me, I will do what I used to do with my children.

I bought their coats 1 size too big. That way, their coats would last 2 seasons. This was good since in hot climates such as mine, the children do not wear coats as often as children in other areas. If they are taken care of, these coats look good for 2 seasons.

The school clothes usually includes dress shoes, tennis shoes, socks, and shoes. Since my GKs have birthdays during the summer months, I bought them school clothes in addition to their birthday gift(s). Then, I wrapped their clothes in birthday wrapping paper so they had more to open.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 07-17-2009, 03:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

At first I thought this was on school supplies. Then I read the post and realized you're talking CLOTHES!

Don't get me started.

My kids wear uniforms, which means a big up-front cost every time they grow; I love uniforms and the benefits of them, including better student behavior (I've been a teacher and have seen this personally), easier decision making in the morning and less conflict for Mom about what the child will wear to school. BUT unlike regular clothes, you generally buy uniforms in a big bunch and your choices of where to buy are very limited.

Big DS only needs shoes this year. His school requires a certain shoe. That will cost me about $85 JUST FOR SHOES that he will wear this one year.

I already paid $88 for new gym uniforms (4 pieces each, shorts, t-shirt, sweat shirt and sweat pants) for DD and Luke.

DD only needs a couple of golf shirts. That will be $38 for two.

Luke needs 3 pants, 3 golf shirts, 1 sweater. His total will be $165.

That brings me to over $375 and I haven't bought shoes for the younger 2 yet.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Well for me I don't HAVE to buy clothes or supplies but I do pick up shirts for Steven as well as some of the supplies. I also buy the shirt of the school generally one for him and one for me lol. Cost it varies
Old 07-18-2009, 01:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have 4 daughters in 3 different schools (1 Primary for the 2 youngest, 2 different High schools for the older 2)this year where I live in London. All in uniform. Some of it I can buy at ASDA (Walmart) such as the shirts for the younger 2 (Yellow shirts), skirts for all in their various colours (We have grey, black and navy blue!), shoes for all I can get there too, although there is a very cheap shoe shop in town I can go to, which is more suited to my eldest who is a vegetarian and won't wear leather like her mum! The older 2 have shirts they have to have especially for the school, and the jumpers/sweaters too, but they aren't too expensive. But as you can guess, all 4 uniforms really do add up :D
Old 07-18-2009, 06:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I spend between $250-$500, but it's generally closer to $250 than it is to $500. My boys don't wear uniforms, but they go through shoes so quickly because they're so active. Depending on sales and such, I either buy one good, sturdy pair of tennis shoes that lasts them several months, or if I get a BOGO deal, I'll buy each two pairs of the shoes and let them alternate as they see fit.

I do have to buy PE uniforms for DS#1, but with solid-color tees and gym shorts on sale at Wal-Mart for $4 apiece, that won't be too bad.

DS#1 is going into junior high next month, so you know what's become important- the dreaded name on the clothing label. I went to our local mall one day to drop into the Hallmark store and noticed that the Aeropostale store had a really big sale going on. I bought him two shirts for $17 with tax, which wasn't bad for a big label like that. Well, the store put me on the e-mail list, and I get lots of e-mails about specials- a few of which offered a bunch of their shirts for $5 apiece. I bought him a few more shirts for that price.

I do most of my school shopping at Kohl's, Wal-Mart, JCPenney, and Famous Footwear. If I shop smartly and spread things out a little over the summer, I can get a really good school wardrobe for the boys that lasts them most of the year.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Well . . . I just bought all of DDs school supplies at Staples today - $150. She wears uniforms and this year (going into 7th grade) she gets an entirely new outfit. Our school has a uniform resale but I'm sure I'll have to buy a few new pieces in as well - that will probably run about $150.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I don't have any school age children any more and only have 4 Gks to help out with right now. I give their mother money and let her go get what they need to help them out. 1 of them will graduate in 3 yrs and the youngest won't start for 3 more years. All the rest have already graduated.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:08 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dressing a 15yo dd is much more challenging than both her older brothers combined. I budget alot for school shopping - but that includes the entire day out. It's always been a "holiday" for us - starting with breakfast out, a snack midday, and a big late lunch/early dinner. We usually go the weekafter July 4th sometime - sales, sales, sales!! Whatever money is leftover goes toward a new outfit later in the school year.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I voted $51-100 as I pick up the school supplies when stores have them for loss leaders so I probably send about $20 for 2 kids.

For clothing I shop garage sales and consignment shops first then fill in whats needed at department stores on sale.

DD1 received a large bag of jeans from a friend that is several sizes bigger so she is okay there and most of her shirts fit from last year though we have gotten a few 'new to her' shirts. We were able to pick up VANS tennis shoes on sale at 50% off so she has her shoes already for school.

DD2 wears a lot of hand me downs but I do get some "new to her" clothes also to fill in where the clothes at home don't work. She does need tennis shoes yet so we will need to go shopping in the next couple of weeks.

Grandma has in the past has boughten the girls their winter coats though last year they each had been given hand me downs from a lady at church so Grandma saved some money.

Roberta