Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues Adoption, kids going to college, multiple children, step parenting, empty nesters, pregnancy issues and more. stay at home parents, working parents, so much to discuss here!

Old 05-18-2009, 11:28 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Teaching Phone Manners

When did you teach your kids phone manners? How did you teach them? Do you get your messages from your teenagers?

Did you teach them phone safety?

I started teaching my kids how to answer the phone as soon as they wanted to answer it as a toddler. I don't allow my kids to answer my cell phone, unless I ask them to.

I always told my kids to never say they were home alone when they got older were able to be home with out an adult.

Charlotte
Old 07-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I do not have human children, but recently I taught my seven (7) year old niece that it is not polite to pick-up the phone and chat in someone else's conversation, esp when she had to ask who she was talking with. I was calling my mom long distance to let her know what our travel plans were when my niece jumped on another extension, my mom nervously laughed and casually mentioned she was on, and which point my niece asked (over the phone line) who she was talking to, I proceeded to ignore her (even though she is my baby), finished my conversation w/my mom, waited for my mom to hang up her line, and proceeded to tell my niece it was rude of her to join in on other peoples conversation w/o being asked by one of the talkers. She apologized and I said goodbye. The problem is is that her mom allows this type of behavior (even though her dad does not), and to some degree so does my mother.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 05-17-2013, 04:12 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

My nephews Gabe and Eli answer the phone by saying Hello, who's calling please.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:15 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Update to the 7 year old... she is now 10 and has her own Cell phone (as does her 8 year old brother, they were suppose to be for emergencies only), and (she is on) Face book....I am not connected with her on either one. I was "told" because I am not a mother of human children (long, hurtful stuff)... Anyway, neither answers their house and "others" phones. I have not witnessed her verbal use of the phone, but she does "text" all of her friends quite a bit (this was witnessed during this recent Mother's Day weekend (2013))....
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 07-01-2014, 09:28 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I started teaching at a young age... around age 3. It made for some incredibly funny events surrounding answering/chatting to person on other end (usually family), but my kids learned, and if DH and I were gone (when they got older) we taught them to say, "mom/dad is busy right now and can't come to the phone".

I also had an emergency list of numbers pasted to the wall above the telephone, and always wrote down numbers for my kids as to where we were if we were out visiting.

As for my kids calling others, I taught them to say, "hello, is so or so there (please)". Always please.