Breast feeding in public

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • It's one of those topics that come up on the news every so often, mostly when a complaint is made against a mum for breast feeing her baby in a public place and not being to discreet about it.

What are your thoughts?
    Have you ever done this?
    Is there a time and place where this really is a no no?
  • Yes, I have nursed a child in public, but not without a blanket or other cover.

I know I was managing to be discreet enough when a friend of my husband's came over to see the baby and I had to say, "How about in a few minutes? The baby is feeding right now." He had no clue.

I do think that the baby's needs have to come first, and that moms should not be forced to sit in a restroom somewhere to feed the baby. That said, Moms can and should be discreet.
  • I can't say I ever actually nursed in a public place. If it had ever come down to it, that I needed to I would have.

I think it is perfectly acceptable, as long as one is discreet about nursing.

I think that once the child is a certain age that it is not necessary in public any longer. Unless one is at an all day type of outing. But, if someone is someplace for about 2 hours, and the baby is about 6 months, it is then unacceptable. Unless like I said it would be at a place where they are there for a longer period of time.

I think that once a child is about 9 months, it is no longer acceptable to nurse in public.

Just my two cents!
  • What brought it up here was a lady was doing this at a public swimming pool in view of primary school students/classes doing swimming lessons, a teacher complained and of course the media ensued.

I have not done this with either of my children, there have always been special baby rooms to feed with microwaves comfy chairs and nappys to buy if you needed, it depended on the shopping centre as to how comfy those chairs were but there was still a separate room from the toilets, and they were clean.

If I needed to and there was no where put aside I'd do it if need be.
  • I have seen women breast-feeding in public with a blanket over everything and I have seen women breast-feeding with their breasts exposed. As long as their is a blanket covering the blanket, I have no problem. Children have to eat whenever they have to eat, as long as the breast is covered. jmo
  • I tried to avoid having to breast feed in public but did it when necessary. I always used a blanket to cover up and was very discrete. I refused to breastfeed in a public bathroom. Honestly, would you want to eat your meals in a bathroom? lol. Once I asked to use a dressing room in a store and when I explained why the store clerk was so helpful and even got me a comfy chair to sit on. I think as long as someone is discrete it is perfectly acceptable to breastfeed in public.
  • Yes I have too well in the past considering I am a spring chick of 72. But I was discreet also. When I was a young girl there was a neighbor lady that sat out on her porch feeding her dau who was in my opinion (then and now) way toooo old to be nursing in the first place let alone out on porch with nothing covering her or breast. She was young sis of a friend of mine and was pushing 2 yrs old. It seems the mom nursed till she got pg with next one. So that taught me those things needed to be done differently
  • When I was working, if a mother asked if she could use a dressing room to nurse, I always said yes.
    As to nursing in public, as long as a blanket is covering everything, it is okay.
  • I am okay with it as long as they are covered.

I too had people wanting to see the baby while I was breastfeeding. I was covered and they didn't have a clue.
  • It's what they were made for. I don't think you have to bare your front totally. I had a blanket to throw over ,but honestly my daughter breast feeds and alot of the time I don't even notice. When I wanted to see my baby I didn't cover with any thing. Once you are started no one sees anymore than a low cut dress.
    discreet is the way to go, but they were made for that and I don't see why it should offend anyone. And children can accept facts as they are if told correctly. I feel it is much better to teach them what god intended those parts for.