Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Parenting Issues Adoption, kids going to college, multiple children, step parenting, empty nesters, pregnancy issues and more. stay at home parents, working parents, so much to discuss here!

Old 11-29-2014, 09:21 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Breastfeeding, when done discreetly and respectfully, I don't have a problem with.

Same goes for diaper changing... there are times when a mother cannot wait to get to the car or back home again to take care of a wet/soiled baby, so a pants change has to be done while out (I've been there many times), though I do recall the glares and stares some made as if they had never seen a mother change her baby before.

You cannot please everybody.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:23 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I was glared at when I breast fed my baby in my van. I wanted to get out and kick someone's behind.

I would rather change a baby in public than have everyone know my baby needed changing.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:19 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Totally agree!
Old 11-29-2014, 06:52 PM
Assistant Moderator

I wouldn't breast feed my baby openly in public but I would find a very quiet corner or a baby feeding room, all shopping centres here have great ones. Yes I did breast feed.

I would not change a baby in front of people out openly in public I would go to a change room or find a very quite place. For me it's about cleanliness for baby, for me and for others as there is a bit of juggling to go along with a pram, a new nappy and old nappy and baby wipes. I did the whole cloth nappy bit too.

I have no problem with others breast feeding their babies in public but I wouldn't do it.

I have seen people change nappies in food courts and I can say it wasn't a nice, clean experience, their hands, the table, their food, ewww! If it was a car park, a park or open area then yes I would but people in a shopping centre in my opinion don't need to see that.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:21 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Here in the US, we don't have baby feeding rooms. When my kids were little it was hard to find a public bathroom to use. I am so glad times have changed. I changed most of the diapers in my van.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:30 PM
Assistant Moderator

For my eldest 24years ago they had baby feed and change rooms, microwaves, big basins and nappy dispensers.
I must say they are much more comfortable now and have better chairs, more microwaves, toddler play rooms etc. and they are rooms with doors depends on how popular the centre as to how big the area is.

If they don't have specific change rooms they do have the larger disabled toilet areas that have a special fold down baby change table, even 90% of any public toilet block has those. Restaurants had/have these as well as I remember changing him while were were out with ds1 a long time ago.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I see the fold down changing stations but that is it.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:13 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

In all the years I breastfed, not once did I ever feel the need to breastfeed in public. Feedings were taken care of at home... as for outings, I bottle fed, unless visiting, and as far as diaper changing went (while out), I always made every effort to change diapers in the car (away from others), unless of course that option wasn't open to me.

Changing a baby's pants in the open/in front of others, I never gave a second thought to, however, gawking and staring eyes never failed to irritate me. I think I got more stares, because of the old-fashioned diapers I used. Some people I'm sure were gobsmacked that a mom in modern times was still using pins and rubber pants!

As for visiting family/friends, diapers were dealt with on the spot, usually on the kitchen floor in front of whoever was present, which never failed to spark-up a conversation about diapers.

Last edited by Miss Money Penny; 12-01-2014 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:37 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

As for those tacky fold-down changing tables in public bathrooms, I never used one (ever) when my kids were in diapers. My thoughts were always, "ewww... how many dirty babies bottoms has that table seen without it being sanitized"!

Our church bathroom, it has a long counter, long enough where two moms can stand side-by-side and change diapers at the same time. Ask me how I know! LOL! Plus, our church (back in the day) still had an active nursery, so for those wishing to have babysitting/childcare, it was available... and may I add, the nursery was staffed with experienced hands (moms) who were familiar with and well-practiced in the art of cloth diaper changing. Rubber pants, pins, and all!