Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Parenting Issues Adoption, kids going to college, multiple children, step parenting, empty nesters, pregnancy issues and more. stay at home parents, working parents, so much to discuss here!

Old 12-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Going through puberty at such a young age

I am no expert but I'm pretty sure that my son has started going through puberty. He is only 10.

His emotions are all over the place--crying one minute, arguing and fighting the next. He has headaches and body aches and is having growth spurts like crazy.

I am asking the moms here who have been through this already with their sons, what other signs and symptoms should I look for?

What did you do to help ease the transition?

I wasn't prepared for it to start at such a young age.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 12-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We went through early puberty with all 3 kids. Our son was about 10 1/2 when he started too. It settled out for a while then all H*** broke loose at about 14. I gave hugs and hot baths and hot water bottles to help with the growing pains. We never belittled him for his emotions which were always up and down, sometimes at the same time!
Our daughter has just started her cycle at 10 also and is dealing with it better than I am. To quote her, "It's no big deal, I just can't swim."
My advice is to roll with the punches and try to remember what it was like for you and your friends when you went through it. Good luck!

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 12-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Thanks for the advice!

For a few months, I couldn't understand why he was so emotional, then one day, it hit me. I felt awful for not seeing it coming.

Some days here with him seem like he!! I can't imagine it getting worse. What else did your son go through? How old was he when he mellowed out for good--or has it happened yet?

Yay for your DD handling things so well! I can't imagine my daughter starting at 10. They are still so young.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We cannot knock ourselves for things we cannot foresee! One never knows what is going on with our kids. It could be a bad day, bullying, crushes, hormones, who knows? They are certainly not going to just tell us. It is also normal and acceptable to be who we are while they are going through things. We are people too and we tend to beat ourselves up for it. As far as mellowing out, 19 and still waiting! Every child is different and we love them all. Be strong and remember that you are a wonderful mom!

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tami, my DS was textbook in his development. But, my DD had breasts at age 8!!! It really freaked me out. I heard that the animals that we eat, such as cows (beef) are given hormones to produce more milk. Those hormones make children hit puberty earlier than they should. I wonder if changing to organic beef would help? I am not sure of all this, but it is worth looking into.

Another thing, you could have him talk to you about why he is crying. If he doesn't know, that is okay. Emotions are okay. But, if his behavior isn't acceptable, you should deal with them before they get out of hand. You could model for him ways that would be more appropriate in dealing with his feelings rather than arguing or fighting. If you have a video camera, you can always show him what he looks like when he acts that way. He might be embarassed to see what others see. But, be sure to show hom alternative ways to behave.

Good luck! I am SO glad I am past all that! lol

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Assistant Moderator

ds1 didn't hit his puberty growing years until nearly 14 then he grew and the attitude that came with it all. His attitude and emotions seemed to go in cycles, it was catching the cycles that was the fun part but once I caught on I seemed to handle him differently/better. His growth went from shorty of the class to almost the tallest in a couple of years and his weight did not change at all in those growing years. That caused him problems.
ds2 is a different kettle of fish, he has been doing all these things for the last year, he's almost 13. He is not far behind in growth to his 4yr older brother but he has put on healthy kilos. I'm having trouble with the fact that I was waiting for his years to come up and didn't see it coming this time as I did with ds1 as last ime I was trying to look for it, but we are working on that. No 2 kids are the same LOL
One thing I have learnt is that you make the best decisions you can with the information you have at the time, and you can't wish you'd done things differently as it only gives you regrets that really you shouldn't have.

I do think talking with them is good to, I explained to him that it his first time as teenager and for us it is a first having a child being a teenager, we are as much in the dark about it all as he is.
Stick with it and as previously said, roll with the punches and deal with things as they come about. Pick your battles.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

This is good advice. I have a 8 yr old who will be 9 in Feb. I was wondering when all of this was going to happen. Also when is it a good idea to start having the "talk" with him?
Old 01-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherof2
This is good advice. I have a 8 yr old who will be 9 in Feb. I was wondering when all of this was going to happen. Also when is it a good idea to start having the "talk" with him?
I found with my children that I would answer their questions as they arose. If they were old enough to ask they are old enough to know. However, before he gets to the age of having "wet dreams" it would be wise to inform him that it is normal to awaken to a wet bed. You could advise him to put the sheets and underware in the laundry and nothing will be said. That way he won't be scared when it happens. I always went to the bathroom in front of my DD, even during that time of the month. When she noticed "things" I would explain the monthly thing to her. That way nothing was a surprise and everything was always known and accepted, like taking baths. I hope that helps.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 01-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Assistant Moderator

I'm with DeBora, as the question arises and enough to keep them going until the next stage. Each child is different in their personalities, DS1 will talk about everything and anything, DS2 is much more within himself and is embarrassed only dad can help there, but ds1 was happy to talk to me..

Old 01-05-2008, 04:33 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My DD had "buds" when she was 5 & started her period at 9. I was concerned, but her dr. said she was fine - just developing at her own pace. She has 2 older brothers, and I have found with all of my children that giving them suggestions of ways to express their emotions is a big help. My oldest DS (who is an introvert) journals. My next DS listens to music or plays guitar (he can't really play, but he tinkers). And my DD, now 11, sings - all the time. My 10yo DD draws (and slams doors). They are all developing talents and expressing themselves. They're multi-tasking, and they don't even know it.