Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues Adoption, kids going to college, multiple children, step parenting, empty nesters, pregnancy issues and more. stay at home parents, working parents, so much to discuss here!

Old 02-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My Husband (DH) and I worked out a few simple oddities around "parent" related holiday's - we give each other a gift or card (both some years) from the pet(s). Last Christmas (2008) was especially hard for all 3 of us, our oldest girl kitty passed away the week before Thanksgiving ( we had had her since November 1991, 10 months after we were married), leaving us with an almost 9 year old boy kitty and us. So for Christmas, our birthdays and our anniversary we lavished our remaining cat with gifts (talk about SPOILED), and attempted to bring another girl kitty into the house (that's another day). So for now we are still 3. On Valentine's day SK gave his dad a home made heart shaped valentines card - us humans went out to dinner, SK got a 1/2 can moist food all to himself & treats when we came home (treats = always when we are gone for more then 4 hours). Before November 2008 though, I received flowers or gift baskets for "meowy day" (mother's day to everyone else) and on Father's Day the cats bought him special little gifts - like silly putty. For Easter, we give toys to everyone in plastic Eggs - SK likes the plastic eggs better then the toys anyway, and cards to each other. On grandparents day we send a grandma card to my MIL (has 2 dogs and widowed since 1999), and on Holiday's / other family celebrations, we send out cards with all 3 names signed... my parents don't care about pets the same way we all do, so they miss out on the fun gestures we send back and forth (to my In Laws side).

I know it seems / sounds funny at first, but when the couple that has pets for children are on the same "care" ppage, after a while you can't help but get into the "giving" of every Hallmark holiday, besides if the card companies didn't want to sell their products and animals weren't concidered children on some level... Why are there cards for sale to owners/guardians from the family pet in relation to parents other family members?
Seriously, check out store card stock and online e-cards, then go out and make every holiDAY a special day.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins