Visit for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back Forums >

Parenting Issues Adoption, kids going to college, multiple children, step parenting, empty nesters, pregnancy issues and more. stay at home parents, working parents, so much to discuss here!

Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2006, 09:11 AM
mememe222's Avatar
FamilyCorner Newbie
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1
Humble Seeking advice for incarcerated dad

My ex husband (who I am currently back together) is incarcerated. We have a 7 year old together, and he has 3 other children from a prior relationship. These children are twins who are 9 and a younger one being 8. Their mother is denying my son visitation with his brothers. Being their ex step mom, I have no rights. The father is due to be released from prison in approx. a year. He is our connection to the step children and sibling visitation. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to where I could find some information on non custodial parental rights. I have searched the internet up and down, and have had no luck. Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated. As you will notice in my attachment, I have tried so hard to enable my child the right to visit his brothers. I don't know what else to do.
Attached Files
File Type: txt bvb.txt (17.8 KB, 537 views)

Last edited by mememe222; 12-18-2006 at 09:17 AM. Reason: to attach a file
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2006, 09:23 AM
DeBora4BobbyL's Avatar
Welcome Wagon Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 16,010
Unfortunately, you have no rights ever in a non-custodial situation, even for your DS. Your ex is the only one how might be able to fight for the rights for his DS and his other children. While he is incarcerated, he is a ward of the state and therefore, probably has no rights at this moment.

Does the prison that he is in have a psychologist? What about a lawyer? That would probably be the best place to go for him to seek advice. Every state has its own laws for this type of situation.

However, your child has no rights to see his siblings and the other siblings' mother has no duty to allow her children to see your child.

The short of it is, you have no non-custodial rights anywhere that I know of. Out of curiousity, does your state allow your DH good time? When you say approximately 1 year, is there a chance he can get out sooner? Also, if the reason for his incarceration is a violent crime of the person, that also might affect the ability for him to visit his children in the future if his other ex wants to fight it.

I hope I was able to answer your questions. I know it is not what you wanted to hear though.
Reply With Quote

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
20 year old seeking advice from parents wustlmolly Adolescence 2 12-01-2016 11:43 PM
Need advice about stepdaughter(sorry, long) TLWE Step-Parenting 5 09-08-2016 01:13 AM
20 year old seeking advice from parents wustlmolly Adolescence 1 07-15-2008 02:36 PM
Need some advice... MommaMia Step-Parenting 2 05-10-2008 04:56 PM
I Need Some Advice Please? Breezy Crafty Corner 3 10-15-2004 10:31 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:35 PM.

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.


Our Family FunBook is packed full of ideas from parents just like you!

Our members say that they have never found a friendlier message board community than ours!

Our kid's craft section is filled with easy ideas for creative little minds.

We have tons of free printable coloring pages to keep your little ones happy.

We offer a wide variety of free newsletters delivered right to your inbox.

Our Household Hints & Tips have a wealth of information on cleaning, organizing, and more!
Go to the funbook Go to forums Go to kid's crafts Go to printables Go to newsletters Go to Hints & Tips

Home || Newsletters || Advertising || Terms of Use || Privacy || Services || Submissions || Contact Us || Media Opportunities || Link To Us || Shop || Feedback || Staff || e-Cards || Reminder Service® is sponsored in part by...

Visit our friends --> MomsMenu | Main Street Mom | She Knows | Baby University | Personal Fitness Zone |

Copyright Notice | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use/Disclaimer