Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Parenting Issues Adoption, kids going to college, multiple children, step parenting, empty nesters, pregnancy issues and more. stay at home parents, working parents, so much to discuss here!

Old 10-22-2006, 06:20 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

Connie, it sounds like your son is taking a step in the right direction. I hope he knows that we are rooting for him to continue to do the right thing. And although he may not want to believe it, sometimes mother does know best.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Connie, I feel like I need to give you a huge ((HUGG)) How hard this must be for you! My teenage dd is bi polar as well as a niece and nephew, and if you didn't know it; so am I.
I know this disease intimately. Trust me on that. My life was hell before finding the right medication. I'm a different person now, and my pain is that I can remember what I used to be like, and what that did to my family. BUT when I was in the disease.. I had no clue...

The only thing I need to say in all of this, is forget Jail and work camps. Please have him placed in a good psychiatric hospital. There are many designed for young adults all across the country. Do it before he turns 21.
They'll stabalize him with meds, ( there are some great new ones for bi-polar like abilify and lamictal...) then they can diagnose and treat the "co-morbid" diseases that so many bi-polars have. (ODD, ADHD, borderline personality disorder) They do "life-coaching" and intensive therapy just like everyone here is talking about! But it's done with his disease in mind. Remember he is NOT a regular kid. The stuff that works with kids who don't suffer a mental illness won't work with him Consistant medication is the key. Then limit setting and consequences that he can participate in planning are what you can do. Once he is stabalized, a contract will probably work beautifully, because bi-polar folks need a sense of control, since so much of their life is out of control.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:13 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

If we could get him into a hospital!!! We tried a few years ago. I will check into again tomorrow... I did talk to a crisis line the other night but here they admit only if the person is saying they will kill themselves or others and then the doctor has the final say so. Today he is really out of control. He is not taking his meds. He wants us to kick him out so he can live with his freinds. He refused to talk to the exgfs mom about where her stuff is..... then he got mad at me since I refused to let him talk to her. Oh I did call the mom a nutcase...... but gosh she is! Like all of his other 'frineds'. I see a breakdown coming ..... I went thru that with dh. I will check into hospitals tonight.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:39 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

Connie, do you feel that your son is a danger to himself or others? If so call the police, they should be able to have him committed for at least 72 hours. That should at least give him time to get evaluated. If he wants out tell him that is up to him, but if he leaves thats the end of it. You don't have to kick him out. (is he of legal age?). If he is, then it can be up to him to leave. Just tell him that you won't stop him if he leaves, but you won't take him back if he does. If he isn't of age, then tell him that you are the parent and what you say goes. He is to get counseling, meds and whatever is necessary.
And Connie, if you feel that you need to talk to someone, please do. Don't let it build up. Talk to your Pastor. Call the crisis line again. If youhave to lie about him wanting to kill himself, do it. Anything to get him the help he needs.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:57 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

He uses thoughts of killing himself to gain attention. This is proven not just my take on it. I talked to his counselor this am and will talk to his doctor tomorrow. Our main goal is to get him away from these friends! They have a hold on him. If and when we get him away from them, the battle will be half over.

The cops here will not cooperate with the mentaly ill. The hospitals here allow phone calls and visits.... I will know more tommorrow after I talk to the doctor.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2006, 08:00 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Connie, the crisis people are correct, there is nothing you can do to hospitalize an adult person unless he is a danger to himself or others. Has he stopped talking his meds in order to hurt himself? If so, that could buy you at least 30 days in the hospital. Otherwise, you are stuck allowing him to do whatever he wants.

Personally, if it were my DS, I would not allow him to live with me and I would allow him to hit rock bottom. He isn't going to grow and mature and get out of these friendships until you do. I did the very same thing to my DS. As soon as the rest of the family stopped helping him and allowed him to suffer the lifestyle that he chose, he started maturing. He is now living with his boss in the Fort Worth area on some beautiful land and working hard and making good money. He is also bowling once a week, going to Dallas Cowboy games, and other things. We are all happy that he is happy. He is coming home for Thanksgiving and Christmas as he has been saving his money to come home. We all thought he'd be dead by now. But, it took tough love.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:02 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sorry for the b2b, but if he is threatening suicide to get attention, you can get him hospitalized as these places will not take a chance that it isn't "just for attention."

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!