FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Parenting Issues (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/parenting-issues/)
-   -   toilet paper issue question? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/parenting-issues/16881-toilet-paper-issue-question.html)

bar_bar 04-09-2006 09:01 PM

toilet paper issue question?

I'm having to deal with issues that I didn't have to when raising my children

One is toilet tissue paper.
How do you teach your child not to use so much? I've talked and talked but she just not getting this.. She is 5 yrs old and loves to play with it and use way to much..

any suggestion?
thanks in advance for your suggestions.. I'm all ears.

DeBora4BobbyL 04-09-2006 09:27 PM

Bar_bar, have you thought about teaching her to count X number of squares per use? For example, she could use 6 squares to pee. If she needs to wipe twice she could use 3 squares 2 times. It would help her with math skills as well as to be conservative in her use with the TP. Also if she just HAS to have some type of paper to play with, you could get leftover paper from a library or school to let her color or whatever with. I don't know if it will help, but it's an idea.

ellenmelon 04-10-2006 03:43 AM

We use thin toilet paper bec of the septic. I hate getting my hand wet. It tears for #2. So we went to baby wipes, one or two per use and it goes in the trash can. TP for pee and wipes for poo.

When my dds were little they each went through a TP play phase. Maybe give her her own roll to play with whenever she wants and ask her to leave the one on the holder alone.

Also, if she is sitting there awhile and play is boring then provide some reading or other distractions. One dd used to play with her barbies and another would 'read.'

barbszy 04-10-2006 04:16 AM

I remember we talked about this on the Frugal thread once. One solution I saw there was to "squish" the roll before putting it on the roller. That makes it harder to spin it and get tons at a time.

bar_bar 04-13-2006 02:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thank you ladies
Yes I been working with her on trying to count and it seems to be working a tiny little bit. LOL
I think the may thing is I know she is 6 but with her being on a 3 yr old level in most of her things, it makes it hard....

I've shown her the amount as well.
the idea of the smashing the tp roll to make it harder to unroll might work, but if it makes her upset and angry then I have another angry issue to work with her on... and we are working on so many angry issues already.

haven't thouht about giving her her own roll,

Again thank you ladies for your assistance.

ajrsmom 04-13-2006 09:02 PM

I just saw this on TV yesterday. It might be a little more expensive but might be worth a try:
http://www.cottonelle.com/products/kids.asp

DeBora4BobbyL 04-13-2006 10:13 PM

Tami, I'll have to say, that is the cutest idea! Even if there isn't a problem, this is an excellant idea to teach children the concept of not wasting TP. I cannot wait to get some for when my DGD comes to visit. Thank you for sharing!

Lee 04-14-2006 08:07 AM

Tammi, Seems an ideal way to teach, but I know I am to thrifty to spend the xtra money! Right now it is not an issue for us, as my ds always wants me to do it! We are working on changing that, any suggestions for that problem? He will be 5 this month. I tried the wet flushables at the beginning but he hated those!
Leighann

ellenmelon 04-14-2006 12:18 PM

I wonder whatever happened to diaper wipe warmers? I think if the wipe is warm it might be received a bit better?

In Mexico, they pre dispense the tp. It is folded into neat packets and put in a basket. The attendant hands a little flat packet to you if you hand her a peso.

At least we now know that just about every child goes through the tp is a glamorous toy things.

DeBora4BobbyL 04-14-2006 01:22 PM

Unfortunately, I've never been to a place with a bathroom attendent in Mexico or the US. However, you have made me remember the "rules" concerning tp in Mexico. Every stall had a trash can because we weren't allowed to flush it in the toilet. Their sewage system couldn't handle it. It was weird trying to remember that I could flush tp in the toilet and use as much as I wanted here in the US.