Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Parenting Issues Adoption, kids going to college, multiple children, step parenting, empty nesters, pregnancy issues and more. stay at home parents, working parents, so much to discuss here!

Old 11-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbszy
From what you say, your son may be ADHD but he very well may be GIFTED also. A smart, bored child can get into a LOT of trouble at school (and drive a teacher up the wall!) Do work with your son's teacher to make sure he is challenged!
Becky - what barbszy is saying is 100% TRUE! Please heed what she said to you.

My now 13 yr old DS went through the same thing in Pre-K. The naval base pediatrician wanted to give him medication based only on the teachers report.......WITHOUT any testing. I refused and insisted on testing with a licensed child psychologist. The psychologist wrote a letter to the school and BLASTED them for pushing for medication when my DS was, in his opinion, clearly gifted and not being challenged.

After the school implemented the plan outlined in his letter, there were no more problems. In fact, they wanted to send my son to 2nd grade from Kindergarten. I refused to allow him to skip first grade.

BTW - my son also loves being the "comedian".

Don't be too hard on yourself...just do what you think is best for your son.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have two children on meds for ADD/ADHD right now...the first one I knew would need it; the second one, I fought from being put on them.

My now 16yo has been on meds since 2nd grade. He is also gifted AND has a writing disability (dysgraphia -- his brain works too fast for his fingers/hand to keep up when writing down info). I would not have known this if it hadn't been for the way testing was done back then -- thru the local county mental health dept. Nowadays, the testing goes thru the pediatrician due to workload (and who knows what other reasons); therefore, they don't do the IQ testing and other functionality tests.

He did become over-medicated at one time, so I strongly suggest you educate yourself as to the maximum meds of whatever type allowable for your child's age and weight (if that's the way you decide to go). I have done that now and was able to use that information for my daughter who was put on meds last spring when she was 8 (in 3rd grade). I wasn't happy to put her on meds, but it has made the biggest difference. She went from D's to straight A's and got the "most improved" award at the end of the school year awards program last year after only being on meds for about 2 months.

Also, my son has been receiving counseling since he was put on meds. He also had a 504 thru the school system, allowing him extra time on tests (among other things) due to his disability. It helped him to succeed in school which boosted his self-esteem. We, as adults, really don't think about it much, but self-esteem can really be destroyed by something like this.

See if you can get someone to test him for other than the ADHD, and best of luck to you. Also, there are websites about giftedness and learning styles and ADHD, that you can glean information from.

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I believe in toughing it out as long as possible without medication. My son is 15 and is just now being put on meds to help him control it because the older he gets the harder it is to deal with. Now the docs are saying maybe ADHD isn't all there is....maybe bi-bolar or...... so I think we are not alone in this and maybe others have been partially diagnosed as well. Parental involement is best as long as possible.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My 15 year old son was questioned as being ADHD in kindergarten, 3rd grade and 5th grade. The teachers that wanted him tested were the three teachers that shouldn't be teaching! One of these teachers had requested over 3/4 of her class be tested!!!! My son was the class clown, talked to birds outside the window and still got very good grades.

In all the other grades, the teachers wanted to put him in the gifted program! (He's very advanced in math and science)
If the teacher that requested testing is a good teacher, then get him tested, it can't hurt to have him tested, can it? Just remember to give him lots of hugs and encouragement.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:41 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My 26 yr-old DS was and is dignosed with ADHD. He also has Tourette's Syndrome, so he could not take the stimulants for the ADHD. As a child, he was FULL of energy anf life. There was NEVER a dull moment at our house! lol He was the Dennis the Mennis of his time as he was extremely curious by nature and would get stuck up in chimney's, have a leg stuck through the ceiling while investigating the attic, and so on. We never medicated him for the ADHD.

I personally think you child could be as Barb's stated. If the behavior is unacceptable, there are many behavior modification programs available as well for parents who do not want to medicate their children.

Back then, his curiousnous was a huge pain. Today, we sit around at the holidays and tell some of these stories and laugh. They can be a great way of bonding the family if he isn't hurting others or property.

Good luck!

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 11-12-2005, 05:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

There are many opinions here with many experiences.
I speak from mine.
I would say to do some basic testing. But educate yourself first.
Know what kind of tests are being used and know what you are looking for in results and findings.
There are a few different tests that are used.
Being active and immature are not that uncommon in the first grade. Know the differences. Be informed about your options. Find a child advocate that is used to dealing with these issues if needed. One of the best things I ever did was to find one.
Don't be afraid to medicate if needed. You would not deny a child with diabetes or seizure disorders. I was afraid and against it but it made a world of difference in my son and he has made honor roll since.
Finding the right meds is another hurdle you may face.
Informed and educated choices will be important for your son's future.
Best of luck!
Robin in NC
Old 11-21-2005, 05:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ladies, thank you so much for listening and for your responses. Week before last my son had a bad week. On thursday, his behavior report said that if he didn't behave on the friday field trip, we would have to discuss alternatives. My hubby and I stressed the importance of him being good for the next day, too much I think. On friday, on the bus before leaving for field trip, he said he didn't feel good. I had to go pick him up so he missed field trip. Apparently that morning he was cutting out a picture, the teacher called him to come on, he wanted to finish so he lost time off recess for the next week. I think he was so worried about being good on field trip and since he had gotten in trouble first off.....he was scared to go. I felt so guilty, I know we over-stessed the situation to him. Last week Friday they had a play in classroom on America. My son was a native american and they had to memorize parts. Hubby and my sister and I all went and I watched carefully-we all did. He was fine, acting no different from any other kids. He spoke out of turn once but so did others. He did his part great and afterwards the teacher told me he was the first to memorize his lines. He was very gung-ho, excited, even loudly saying "good job" to one kid whose mom didn't make him a costume which I thought was sweet but in no way was he distracting at all. So....we're continuing to wait and see. I think when we get back from Thanksgiving holiday, I will set up appointment with doctor "cause like ya'll say, it can't hurt. It will be done outside of the school. Thanks again for all your advice and just for listening. I'm so glad this week is a short week!! Happy Thanksgiving to you all-we will be traveling.
Becky
Old 11-21-2005, 06:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Adhd

Something to keep in mind....
ADHD kids don't have to be bad or act out all the time. My son can be good for hours and then get out of control then regain his control again.
This would go for kids with other issues as well.
The off times don't have to show up all the time.
Something else to consider and I know this is my opinion but his behavior can be related to things he eats. Especially things with certain dyes in them.
Red and Blue seem to be the more common of the offending.
Diet can play a big part of behavior in sensitive kids. The less preservitives, dyes, sugars, processed foods, etc the better off things will be.
Robin
Old 11-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My son was hell in school. Homeschooling didn't solve all of the problems. Part of the problem was being picked on by bulllies, part by teachers that should have never been teachers. Also after years of dragging him to one doctor and counselor to another finally one listened to me. My son is ADHD, bi polar, clinicly depressed and I think we have just gotten started .........

My advice? Become educated like the other ladies have suggested. Never let anyone push you into what your son 'needs'. You are his mother. You have the gut feelings and the brains and the love the good Lord gave you to take care of him. You will figure this out.
And you have all of us here, to help when we can, listen when you need to talk, and shoulders when you need to cry.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:27 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Robin, I did read about the artificial flavoring and coloring so I have been trying to cut that stuff out. It's hard though to find things that don't have any. I am also washing our clothes now with dye-free detergent and softener. But I think from what I read, you have to be consistant and cut it ALL out and then gradually add stuff back in which is hard. Especially since he gets stuff from people whe I'm not around. Luckily his sunday school teacher now gives him sugar-free candy but I bet it has coloring.