Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Parenting Issues Adoption, kids going to college, multiple children, step parenting, empty nesters, pregnancy issues and more. stay at home parents, working parents, so much to discuss here!

View Poll Results: Do you know someone with autism?
Yes, I have an autistic child 6 5.08%
Yes, a relative has autism 12 10.17%
Yes, a friend of mine has an autistic child 31 26.27%
No, I don't know anyone 72 61.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2005, 08:26 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Autism - Are you affected?

Does your child have autism? One of your relatives? A Neighbor? How has it affected your life and what advice do you offer to others looking for answers?

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 03-31-2005, 09:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The only time I ever was around someone that had Autism, was when I used to work around mentally challenged ladies at a care-home where I worked once. She was most definitely in her own little world, but she loved to communicate through pictures to tell her care-giver what mood she was in that day, or whether she wanted a snack, something to eat or drink, etc. When she was angry though, she had a terrible temper, and she would lash out by biting herself, or very possibly, the person who was taking care of her. When she would be like that, the only thing we could do was to hold her arms down (or try to), and speak to her calmly. I think the thing that stressed her out was that they rotated the workers every week, so that different people would be taking care of different ladies, and this particular lady with the autism would get "attached" to her caregiver, and I think it upset her when a different caregiver would be taking care of her that week. When they say "actions speak louder than words," this lady couldn't speak a single word, but her actions communicated very well.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:04 AM
Nine Year Member

My nephew is Autisic as well as having eye sight and speech problems. He wasn't diagnoised until he was nearly 10 but then he was put into a special school that dealt with neurological problems and did very well. He was able to be mainstreamed back to the public schools by the 8th grade.

He is 21 now, doesn't have friends, will never be able to drive (can't see good enough besides the Autism) he can work part time in a very controlled setting but finding a company willing to give him the monitoring needed has been difficult.
Roberta
Old 03-31-2005, 10:13 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My ds has high functioning autism as well as other diagnoses. Always knew it was something close to that, except no one would tell us a definitive answer until a few years ago. He is almost 13 and doing very well considering the late diagnosis.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:36 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

A child in my son's daycare is showing signs of autism. He's 3, but doesn't communicate or look you in the face. He can count, add subtract, multiply, and would run around in circles for hours if she let him.

And he never responds when you call his name. The daycare provider suggested to parents that they might want to get him checked for any medical problems - at first she thought he might have hearing problems. But the father (who is a doctor) refuses. He says he doesn't want his son to be "labeled".

It's so sad because this boy could be getting help now!
Old 03-31-2005, 10:50 AM
Nine Year Member

Early detection and treatment is so important. My sister still feels guilty because the doctors kept saying there was nothing wrong with my nephew but we all knew something was. So much could have been done for him in the 7 years she argued with the doctors and school system that he wasn't "normal".

He would cry and scream when he had to leave the house, autism plus he couldn't see more than 2 feet in front of his face and no one knew. Would drag his arm along the walls... couldn't see the door ways. Pace in circles or rock when things stressed him out. He still today does that plus suck his thumb if things are really bad.

Roberta
Old 03-31-2005, 11:05 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My nephew, as well as my former brother in law, both middle school students, have Autism. They both function very well but each have their own traits that seem to affect them "more'. They are alike in some ways but quite different in others. I also have a friend whose young son with Autism was in my youngest boy's Headstart class. My youngest son was born with developmental delays and we were concerned about the heavy genetic factor of both sides of our family having a close relative with Autism, but he was declared to only have global developmental delays with a sensory problem. He was diagnosed at 2. Now as a 5 and a half year old getting ready to graduate kindergarten, he is catching up fast -- only gets a small amount of extra specialized instruction during mainstreamed class, and has Speech therapy weekly with his Occupational therapy has dropped to once monthly. He is just doing great! Autism has touched our family in many ways, both with our members and as something we are always aware of...because perhaps if we hadn't been looking for it, we may have not caught the delays early enough to make the dramatic differences we are seeing now.

~~*Jennie*~~

~Mama to Patrick, Luke and Ethan~

*Wife to Scott*
Old 03-31-2005, 11:29 AM
Friend of the Family
FamilyCorner Admirer

My nephew has autism and was high functioning, but distant. My sister took him to a doctor in Florida who tested him for food allergies and gave her a list of foods to avoid. He is on a gluten-free diet along with other avoidances and will now talk to me (even though I only see him 3 times a year), hugs without being prompted, and tells stories. It is amazing!!! The first time I saw him on this new diet, it was almost scary about communicative he is. My sister is now working to eliminate chemicals from her home to see if he is affected by those also. Something to think about!

Wife to Bob 6/26/93
Mom to Jonathan & Adam(1996/1999)

My FC Member Awards!

Honorary Members

Old 03-31-2005, 12:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My 10 yr old son is Developmentally Delayed. He likes routine and to have things just so. When I've been shopping, he insists on putting things back where they belong. I always wondered if he was Autistic but he was checked and isn't.

He is in a special class at school. He doesn't speak well and because of it most people think he is younger than he is. He gets therapy at school for speech and occupation. His teacher is a young teacher and has expected more out of him than any other teacher he's had in the past so he is learning a lot.

He also has had seizures for the past 6 yrs. The seizures are called "Absence." While having the seizures, he spaces out. Usually it lasts a few minutes and he becomes conscience again. But sometimes he doesn't and we have to rush him to the Emergency Room. We've been told that he may outgrow the seizures. We hope and pray that will happen.

We just take it one day at a time.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

No I don't know anyone who has autism.

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!