Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Parenting Issues Adoption, kids going to college, multiple children, step parenting, empty nesters, pregnancy issues and more. stay at home parents, working parents, so much to discuss here!

View Poll Results: Do you know someone with autism?
Yes, I have an autistic child 6 5.08%
Yes, a relative has autism 12 10.17%
Yes, a friend of mine has an autistic child 31 26.27%
No, I don't know anyone 72 61.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2005, 03:46 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi there

I'm supporting 4 adult men, all with severe autism and other disabilities. One is deaf and blind. One is paraplegic. None of them are verbal. Two have been in an institution since early childhood, and the other 2 since their late teens.

Everyone is now out of the institutions and living in group homes with maximum 4 clients in each.

I'm constantly amazed at their abilities!

Cheers

Lene
Old 03-31-2005, 06:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

When my son was in the 3rd grade doctors at Scottish Rite Hospital said he was mildly autistic. I think they are wrong. I think he was just inmature and a little behind socially. He was in private speech and did speech classes at school for 5 years and his large and small motor skills were slow to develop. He also use to have eye tics when he was real nervous but he has always made straight "A's" in regular classes in school and has tested several levels above his age group. He listens when I call him. He still likes to walk around in circles when he is nervous or thinking about something really hard or even when he is bored. But his speech is fine now, he no longer has the eye tics and his motor skills have pretty much caught up to his age (he is 15 and in 10th grade now.) All his teachers love him and always say how intelligent he is during conferences. He is a great kid and very loving, still kinda inmature but I have no doubt that will catch up in time. He has a number of friends that are just as inmature as he is, must be the age.

mouse

Last edited by mousebyte; 03-31-2005 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:37 PM
dolls123

I don't know anyone who has autism
Old 04-01-2005, 01:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't personally know of someone with autism but I work for a facility for the mentally challenged and will soon be involved with an adult with autism

Hey, I won!

Old 04-01-2005, 05:07 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

From what I've read, there is no definitive test for autism. It's all so subjective - I'm guessing a lot of kids are misdiagnosed.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We have a little girl in our kindergarten age Sunday School class. This family has been visiting our church and we are new to this condition. We have had to enlist an adult to only oversee this child. She will sit quietly and then abruptly get up and move around the room, over and over again. One interesting observation: there was an occasion that another teacher opened a cabinet door briefly to get materials out and closed the door back. Later, another teacher mentioned getting the blocks and this child went straightway to the cabinet and pulled them out. We all looked at each other amazed! She can be disruptive but we are seeking information from parents about her particular autism. There is lots of energy needed for her care.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

No, I don't know anyone with autism.
Hugs & Happiness~~~ Paula

http://summdaysummway.blogspot.com
Old 04-01-2005, 08:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

No, I don't know anyone with autism.
Hugs & Happiness~~~ Paula

http://summdaysummway.blogspot.com
Old 04-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Friend of the Family
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't know anyone with autism. I pray for the ones who have been blessed with such a special child. God chose the right parents that could handle a situation such as this. I could not do it. I would totally depend on God for his help and Mercy.

Old 04-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have had the pleasure of working with 4 autisic children 2 severly autisic 1 strongly and one mildly. 3 of them ranged to slight to almost prefect verbal. the 3 of them did not need alot of assistance in many things. The severly autistic child wore me out daily. She needed help for everything. She is the reason that I have gone back to school to get my teaching degree in special education. She was everywhere. When she would see me come in to the classroom she would run right to me. I worked as her one on one aid half a day.

My son I beleive has mild atusim or autistic tendencies we will find out this coming summer we will go through 3 days of testing and interviewing.

My son also has an autistic child in his class room. You would not be able to tell that he was autistic unless you spent alot of time with him. He is somewhat verbal and a joy to be around. They have been in class together for 3 years now. they are in a self contained 12:1 classroom there are children with many different disabilites in this classroom. At the beginning of the school year I was taking my girls medications into school for headaches and beestings. I seen this child with his aid in the hallway. His aid works with my son unofficially also. We were talking and I said hello to the child and his aid asked if he was going to say hi to me and he just kept looking at me a few mins later he grabbed my hand and said "hello Davids mommy". He made my day. He had not seen me in 3 months and remembered my name.

What some people don't know is that autistic children are actually very brilliant children that there mind is just faster than their bodies and they have a million things going through per second and just cant comprehend them all. Thus the reason of autism.