Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Parenting Issues Adoption, kids going to college, multiple children, step parenting, empty nesters, pregnancy issues and more. stay at home parents, working parents, so much to discuss here!

Old 03-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Juvenille Rhermatoid Arthritis

But then what happens after HS?

Good question..! We are having that problem. Ds doen't want to do anything. Today he told me IF he can't go to town tomorrow.... he will stay in his bedroom with the door shut ALL day. What a big baby..... Dh said tonight maybe ds needs to put in a hospital where they can watch his meds better. He is manic so much of the time. I wonder if that is what we will have to do with him. That will be hard right now with dh having surgery on the 4th.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh Connie.. I wish I knew what to offer you in the way of advice..

We considered hospitalizing DD when she was first being diagnosed.. But she was too "healthy" to be admitted..

We ended up putting her in to intensive day-treatment instead. It's a school/hospital program administered through our BOCES, and it was wonderful for her..

She didn't want to go back to school after that.. She liked that it was one-on -one and pretty stress-less. She did her homework and went to therapy..

Then getting transitioned back to regular school was sooo hard.. And you know I took her out of school and had home instruction for a month. Now she's classified ( finally) and back to school in mainstream special ed classes.. But now here we go again with the homework anxiety!

There has to be another way for kids to learn.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My 8 year old son David is ADD/ODD and has been classifed with slight mental retardation. The last I am not happy about and am in the process of having him dx slight atusim. This will be this summer since we have to go 40 miles away for 3 days in a row for all day interviewing and testing. He does not like change in his daily schedule. We have a very tight schedule we stick to at home and at school. Long weekends are hard to get him back to schedule never mind taking him out of school 3 days in a row.

Since he was first dx with the ADD/ODD 4 years ago we have kept him off meds. I am hoping to keep him off them. His doctor agrees with me right now. Just at his last appointment a couple of weeks ago we discussed getting him theropy. Right now I am trying to find one that will ecept our insurance and that my doctor can trust.

We have a tember problem with David which is expected with the ADD/ODD there are times where I have to grab him and wrap my arms and legs around him until he settles down. He gets frustrated very easly mainly with his 6 yr old brother. I have to keep them apart most of the time.

He is in a self contained class room at school 12:1. Just this year has he shown any great improvement. He is in 2nd grade and is doing the second half of first grade work. He is learning to read (when he read his first book to me I cried. I was so happy that he could do it.) At home everything we do is a learning experience for him. My youngest dd5 will say mom we already know how to do that. David adores his baby sister and will tell her her moms just reminding us KK. Its his way of telling me mom please show me how again.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:33 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Kimmer have you thought about the possibility of your son being Bipolar? The things you talk about sound like Heather.

She has a difficulty if her schedule is thrown off. The week before Easter break was very stressing to her because I was home sick on Monday and her teacher was out Monday - Wednesday. Then it also was a week before a holiday.

I would like to hear more about this 3 day testing. How did you find out about that? Where is it being done?
Old 03-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hello everyone. I have some websites that I thought someone might find useful. I have been to each one of these, and some I like quite well. If you have any that I don't know about, please let me know. We can learn from each other!
Days at my house are like this: and . I have had to restrain my son too, AND carry him out of K-Mart, and I have walked out and left a buggy full. It's day's like these I have to remember that I prayed this child down from heaven and God answered my prayer! Thank you Lord.

www.nami.org

www.dbsalliance.org

www.bpkids.org

www.bipolarchild.com this is the website of Demitri Papolos, M.D. and his wife Janice They also have a book "The Bipolar Child" that I bought because it has an absolute wealth of information, including how to get SSI for your child.

http://www.<a href="http://www.bipol....about.com</a>

www.bpchildren.com

www.wrightslaw.com theis site also has yellow pages for children w/ disabilities
www.yellowpagesforkids.com

www.mhsancturary.com/bipolar

www.bipolarhappens.com
www.nimh.org
www.bphope.com this site also has a magazine that I subscribe to.
www.ocfoundation.org this is for OCD's

Well, I hope that we all can find the support that we need. I know that we all love our children and want the best for them. God bless us all!

The nami and dbsa sites have quite a few materials you can order, with quite a few of the being free.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Gee can I relate to this thread. My 12 (almost 13) year old DD is ADHD and bipolar. She is a lot more manic than depressed, very seldom depressed and her depression almost seems like normal behavior since she is manic so much of the time. She was having some problems at school so we finally started homeschooling her last month but she has a lot more problems at home with yelling, namecalling, slamming doors, stomping, hitting, telling us she doesn't have to do what we say, stealing, lying, etc. It gets real crazy around here sometimes and I want to run away. Her counselor has even discussed putting her in a group home with us but I just can't do that. I keep thinking one day things will calm down but any time she doesn't get things done exactly the way she wants them done we are going to have a fit that can last up to an hour or more and we may have 5 or 6 of these a day. Last month we took her off all the meds except the Ritalin cause I just couldn't see that they were doing any good. We have been on a number of the ones ya'll have mentioned especially the Depakote, that one has pretty much been a constant. Somedays I just don't know what to do and am glad ya'll started this thread. Her psychiatrist has not been much help, just constantly changed her meds and would never offer behavior modification to us so we recently quit seeing him and am looking for another one. I worry about when she grows up also, how will a husband ever be able to live with her temper and fits, how will she ever be able to hold a job (when the boss tells her to do something she doesn't want to she will throw a fit). She is very smart but in school decided NOT to do most of her classwork and just took the test and usually made "A's" on them but with all the other zeros on the classwork ended up with not very good grades. Sorry this is so long but today has just been a day already.

mouse
Old 03-27-2005, 11:25 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hello Mouse,
God Bless you. Sometimes it's just not worth chewing through the restraints. I have days like that with my son.
My ex's son has not been diagnosed as bipolar, but I sure think that his is. His behavior sounds just like your daughters. There were times I would have my daughter and stepdaughter put the dresser in front of their door at bedtime because of his tantrums. Fortunately, nothing ever did. He never did threaten the girls, just his older brother and my now ex.
Sometimes I think that you can really "mark" an unborn child. I was absolutly terrified while I was pregnant with Jonah, because of the fits. I had never seen anything like them. Jonah has the tantrums too, I'm working hard, hopefully to teach Jonah haw to make better decisions, and learn how to work through his anger.
I always wanted to make a diference in the life of a child. Here's a chance to do it, I guess. Fortunately I have a better psychiatrist NOW, and a wonderful LCSW.
Do you have a support system? I hope you have some help so you can have a respite. I certainly will be thinking of you, and I will try to pray for you, that God will hold you in his hands, so that you may be able to rest in his bosum and draw strength.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hey angsharp,
What a very sweet message. It really made me feel better. I do have very good support from Lacy's counselor, we see her every other week and she calls me at home to see how things are going. My two best friends and my sister know about the struggles we go through and are a big support when I just need to talk. Also there is my DH and we give each other breaks from time to time, when I am really at the last straw he will take over and if he is starting to get angry I take over. He works from home which helps a LOT. All our family live in Texas so we don't get to ever really go out without taking Lacy with us but we have gone to eat a couple of times in the last month and left her at home and she was mad but did fine. We had a house to come home to anyway, she didn't destroy it. We have been a threesome for 12 years now and Jerry and I decided we just had to have some time alone.

The way you described your house in the earlier post made me laugh, it seemed so much like my house. Also thanks for posting all the web sites, I am going to look at them tonight or tomorrow morning. I also want to get that book "The Bipolar Child", I figure the more information I have the better off I'm going to be. I will say a prayer for you and your family also. I don't think you live that far from me. Do you live anywhere near Chattanooga? We live on the GA side of Chattanooga.

hugs,
mouse
Old 03-27-2005, 03:55 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Cheryl I had a friend ask me about him possibly being Bipolor but I have not done enough research on the subject yet to go to the doctor about it.

As for the 3 day testing it will be done at a hospital in Syracuse NY. When David had his last doctors appointment and I told my doctor what I suspected and I had research to back it up he just called someone that he trusted and got us an appointment for when I wanted it.

My kids go to a family doctor that has been my doctor for 20 years and I trust him completely and he knows me and the kids (well my whole family) very well
Old 03-28-2005, 06:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Special Needs Child

I have a 5 year old son with Hearing Impairment and ADHD. He wears both right and left digital hearing aids and is currently on Adderall. Our house is also a whirlwind of excitement, joy and at times FULL OF STRESS, crying, shouting and never peaceful or quiet. My son's dad gets regular breaks from the routine. He goes to play paintball with the guys, goes to friends house to watch sports, etc... I very seldom if ever get time away to myself. Both my husband and I work (we have to make ends meet) so that is my break. We recently joined a parent support group, one for special needs and one for ADHD, these are what keeps my sanity intact. You all should check and see what kind of support groups are meeting in your area, they are the greatest way of getting support, we are kind of new, but some of the parents at the ADHD support group share babysitting duties with each other, it is so hard to find daycare for special needs children. I am looking forward to eventually making a friend who we can swap off with each other for. Just try to focus on the postive things with your child and not the negative and remember we are extra special parents!!!