Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Outer Beauty Make up tips, homemade bath concoctions, hair styles, more...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-26-2002, 09:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb Milk Bath

Milk baths are truly a marvelous bath item, and is one of those things that can make you feel pampered. You can make them for yourself, or as gift, perhaps in a basket with other handcrafted bath & body goodies.

Depending on the ingredients added, milk baths can range from simple to luxurious to decadent. They can be made with either dehydrated whole milk (cow or goat) or the powdered milk from the grocery store (e.g. Carnation Dry Milk). My preference is the dehydrated whole milk because it will contain more of the butterfat than the milk powders at grocery stores, which are skim milks.

Milk is a great ingredient for skin care. Many people claim it helps soothe their itchy skin, psoriasis, or exzema. The butterfat in milk can also help moisturize your skin.

For a simple, quick and easy milk bath, add 1/2 to 1 cup whole liquid milk or cream to the tub while it fills. Or you can add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk powder to the tub.

Other ingredients can be added to the powdered milk to make a mixture, which can be mixed in a large bowl with a spoon or spatula, or placed in a large jar and shaken to mix (after putting on the lid of course!). These ingredient include finely ground oatmeal, dried herbs (whole or ground), salt (epsom or sea), fragrance oils, essential oils, and even vegetable oil (such as apricot kernal) or vegetable butter (such as cocoa butter). What you add is a matter of preference and what benefits, if any, you'd like the milk bath to impart.

Once you have the milk bath mixed, you can put it in a jar to pour or scoop out as needed, or you can package it in individual bath sizes. For individual baths, package the milk bath in a muslin bag with a drawstring closure, or you can package it in heat-sealable tea bags, such as those used to make your own tea bags.

I'll be posting some recipes soon for mlk baths. If anyone needs supplier websites for milk powder, essential oils or whatever, just let me know and I'll post some.

Carol
Old 06-26-2002, 11:22 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Special Notes & Explanations for Making Milk Baths

* Ingredients -

Oatmeal - Use regular, not instant; can be finely ground or not as you prefer. Always package milk baths containing oatmeal for individual baths as it can clog drains if it isn't.

Herbs - You can use whole, crushed or finely ground herbs. If you use whole or crushed herbs, package the milk bath for individual baths so the herbs don't clog the drain, or cling to you or the tub. (Ask me how hard/aggravating it can be to get all the clingy bits of herbs off your body or out of the tub! ) Finely ground herbs do not usually cause a problem.

Essential Oils - These are a wonderful and useful addition to bath products. You can add simply for fragrance, or for the skin care and/or aromatherapy benefits they can provide. Do be careful in using essential oils. Remember that just because they are from plants and are natural, it doesn't necessarily mean they are safe to use. There are a number of essential oils that should not be used. Many can be sensitizing and/or irritating. And even too much of a good thing can cause problems.

Salt - It's a matter of personal preference as to whether or not you add salt to your milk bath. Some people do, and some people don't. I personally don't since I'm wanting the benefits of the milk and other ingredients. If I want the benefits of salt, I make bath salts. You can use either sea salt or epsom salt.

Vegetable Oils & Butters - This isn't the Crisco (or whatever your favorite brand is) that you use to cook with. What I'm speaking of here are mostly "specialty" oils, although many can be found in grocery stores! Unless you like slippery or slick tubs and skin, I suggest light bodied oils, such as Apricot Kernal, Grapeseed, Fractionated Coconut, and Peach Kernal. Other oils you could use include Meadowfoam, Kukui Nut, Hazelnut, Sweet Almond, Avocado, Hempseed, Macadamia Nut, and liquid Shea.

You can also use vegetable butters, which are becoming more and more popular in bath & body products. These include cocoa, shea, kokum, illipe, mango, sal, and avocado butters.

I can't tell exactly you how much oil or butter to use because it's mostly a matter of preference, and is dependent on the total amount of dry ingredients. I'd start with 1 or 2 teaspoons per cup of dry mix. Mix and test it to see how it feels. Adjust the amount up or down based on that.

To use a butter, melt and drizzle over the dry ingredients. To use an oil, drizzle over the dry ingredients. Mix well, including sieving the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve several times. This will both help mix it all together and break up clumps.

Fragrance Oils - Be sure to use only those fragrance oils that have been formulated for bath & body products. Do not use flavor oil, potpourri oils, or scents for candles.

* Packaging -

For individual baths, use muslin or organza drawstring bags, or heat-sealable tea bags. Muslin and organza bags can be typically found in 3 sizes (3"x5", 4'x6", 6"x8" or thereabouts). Use the two smaller sizes for packaging milk baths. Exactly how much milk bath the bags will hold will depend on the ingredients used. For example, milk bath that contains unground oatmeal and/or whole or crushed herbs will take more room than milk bath containing only milk powder and essential oil. Heat-sealable tea bags typically come in two sizes. The smaller size is not suitable for bath products as it's rather small. It's primary purpose is for brewing individual cups of tea. Use the larger size tea bag for milk baths. Be sure to not overfill the tea bags as they may not close and seal properly.

For milk bath that is pourable or scoopable, package it in jars or other containers. If you'd like to scoop the milk bath out of the container, consider using a wide-mouth jar, perhaps an apothecary or bail lid style.

* Usage - This is mostly a personal preference, but it also depends on the ingredients used and whether or not you have any skin sensitivities. Usage amounts range from 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup. If you're unsure about how much to use, start small. If you tolerate the smaller amount well and without any obvious problems, then increase the amount. If you really dislike having to measure out, and want to avoid accidently pouring out too much, use indivdual packaging.

Carol
Old 06-27-2002, 05:00 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Milk & Honey Bath

1 cup heavy cream
1/8 cup honey

Optional:

a few drops of rose fragrance oil or 1 drop rose otto
organic rose petals, fresh or dried

Gently warm cream over very low heat. If using rose petals, add to pot with cream, and once cream is warm, remove from heat, cover, and let stand 15 minutes, then strain and discard rose petals. Add honey and stir well to mix. Use immediately by pouring into tub as it fills. If desired, add rose otto or fragrance oil to tub.

Makes 1 bath

Dry Version

2 cups milk powder
1/4 cup honey powder
1/8 to 1/4 cup dried organic rose petals, whole, crushed or ground, optional
rose fragrance oil, optional

Mix dry ingredients together. Add fragrance oil if using and mix well (see note below). If using whole or crushed rose petals, package for indiviual baths (see message 2 in this thread). If using finely ground petals, then you can place in a jar or package for individual baths as you prefer. To use, add 1 individual bath package or up to 1/4 cup to tub as it fills.

Fragrance Oil Note:

I start with a few drops, then sniff after mixing. If the scent isn't strong enough, then I'll add a few more drops and mix. I generally work with 5 drop increments.

The best way I've found to add fragrance or essential oil into milk bath (or bath salts) is to place my dry ingredients into a large jar, add my fragrance or essential oil, screw on the lid, and shake until it feels like my arms are going to fall off. Rest 5 minutes and shake again!

Carol
Old 06-27-2002, 08:02 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Salt Scrubs

Salt scrubs are really easy to make. It's just a matter of experimenting to determine how much salt and how much oil you prefer. Ingredients can be found at grocery and health food stores, places like Wal-Mart, etc.

For salts, you can use epsom, sea or even table salt. The type of salt isn't what's important. The whole purpose of the salt scrub is exfoliation, so any salt will do. However, use small-grained salt as the larger grains would be a killer.

For oil, you can use any vegetable oil you can find ... olive, canola, soy, sunflower, etc. The more expensive oils, such as avocado and apricot, are good too, but aren't really worth it if you're buying from a health food store (mark up is unreal). If you can visit an international or Asian market, look for almond oil. You can generally find it a good price. This will be regular almond oil, not sweet almond, which is a further refined oil and more expensive. Regular almond oil is a heavy oil, much like olive.

Experiment with small amounts until you find the salt to oil ratio you like. Some people like it drippy with oil, some people prefer less oil. It's all a matter of preference. A good ratio to start with is 2 parts salt to 1 part oil. For experimenting, work with tablespoons as your measuring part. Each time you try a new ratio, test it out and see how you like it. Once you find the ratio you like, you're ready to add extras, which aren't necessary, but can be nice.

If you want to add scent, use only fragrance oils that are approved for bath & body use (not all are and using candle or potpourri fragrance in a bath product can cause serious injury), or use pure essential oils. Add the fragrance or essential oil by drops. Essential oils should be used at a maximum of 15 drops per ounce of oil. When it comes to scent, remember that one, it really isn't necessary for the scrubs, just a nice to have extra, and two, less is more.

Essential oils can be added for their benefits. For example, peppermint makes a refreshing foot scrub, rosemary is stimulating, lavender is great for general skin care, and grapefruit is good for devitalized skin. You can combine essential oils for their effects.

You can also add a bit of liquid or gel soap, usually added at about 1/2 part. It can help emulsify the scrub (hold it all together), but really isn't necessary. It also helps cut the slipperiness or greasiness of the oil a bit.

To use salt scrubs, gently rub a small amount on the area you wish to exfoliate. The larger the area, the more scrub you need. Rub until the oil is almost all absorbed and the salt starts to fall off your skin as you rub. Rinse to wash off any remaining salt, dry, and apply lotion, cream or oil. This method prevents the slippery tub mess, and allows your skin to absorb oil.

Precautions: Do not use salt scrubs on open wounds, areas that are irritated already, or on areas with acne (exfoliation like this is a big no-no for acne). Do not scrub too briskly ... remember that a salt scrub is abrasive! If irritation occurs, discontinue use immediately. Do not overuse fragrance or essential oils in your mix ... either can cause problems.

Store salt scrubs in a glass container if you use essential oils. Many essential oils will eat most plastics over time. Mix scrubs thoroughly before using, and pour or scoop out only what you need at one time. Put it in a plastic dish that you can take to the tub/shower. This will prevent injury that can be caused by glass breaking in the shower, plus pouring/scooping out what you need instead of sticking your fingers in it will help prevent contamination of the scrubs.

Have fun!

Carol
Old 06-27-2002, 08:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Salt Scrubs for Feet

4 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon liquid or gel soap
5 - 10 drops essential oil

Mix ingredients together in a glass bowl.
Makes enough for 1 or 2 applications, store any leftovers in a glass jar.

Notes:

If you prefer drippy salt scrubs, add more oil.

I use liquid or gel Castile rather than store-bought soap.

Essential Oils & Blends:

Refreshing - Peppermint & Spearmint; Peppermint & Tea Tree

Stimulating - Rosemary; Rosemary Mint (Peppermint and/or Spearmint)

General Skin Care - Lavender; Egyptian Rose Geranimum; Chamomile (Roman or German); Lavender & Chamomile

Devitalized - Citrus (Lemon, Sweet Orange & Grapefruit)

Carol
Old 06-27-2002, 11:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lavender & Oats Bath

1/2 milk powder
1/2 dried lavender buds
1/2 cup oatmeal
10 drops Lavender Essential Oil *

Place ingredients in jar. Screw on lid, and shake well to mix. Package for individual baths.

* There are many types of essential oil in the Lavender family. These include Lavandin Grosso, Spike Lavender, Lavender 40/42, High Altitude French Lavender, and Bulgarian Lavender.

The most expensive are the French and Bulgarian Lavenders. Lavandin Grosso and Spike Lavender are usually the least expensive.

Lavender 40/42 is a blend of Lavender oils to create a standard that is consistent from year to year (most essential oils vary in scent, quality, etc every year due to climate, soil and other factors). This oil usually falls in the middle of the other two price ranges.

Which should you use? That is a matter of personal preference and what you can afford. Many people find the French and Bulgarian Lavenders smell sort of "mediciney" (or as I've heard one woman put it, like her great-aunt Matilda). The best thing to do is to visit a shop where you can sniff several different types to find which one you like, or order small samples (often called "sniffies") from an online supplier.

Carol
Old 06-28-2002, 06:05 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Body Scrub

1 cup salt
1/2 cup oil *
15 - 45 drops Essential Oil **

Mix ingredients in glass bowl. Makes enough for 1 or 2 applications, store leftovers in a glass jar.

* Add more oil if you like drippy salts.

Essential Oils:

General Skin Care - Lavender, Rose Otto, Egyptian Rose Geranium, Cypress, Roman Chamomile, German Chamomile, Rosewood

Dry Skin - Carrot Seed, Cedarwood (any), Clary Sage, Jasmine Absolute, Egyptian Rose Geranium, Lavender, Palmarosa, Rose Otto, Roman Chamomile, Rosewood, Neroli, Sandalwood, Ylang ylang,

Oily Skin - Roman Chamomile, German Chamomile, Cedarwood (any), Egyptian Rose Geranium, Clary Sage, Lavender, Lemon, Peppermint, Niaouli, Frankincense, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Lime (distilled), Grapefruit, Lavandin Grosso, Spike Lavender

Normal Skin - Atlas Cedarwood, Egyptian Rose Geranium, Jasmine Absolute, Lavender, Neroli, Roman Chamomile, Rose Otto, Rosewood, Ylang ylang

You may notice some essential oils fall into more than one category. No, it's not a typo. Many essential oils are beneficial in numerous ways, including for different skin types.

Use just one essential oil, or a blend of two or more.

** Due to the high cost of Rose Otto and Jasmine Absolute, use no more than 1 or 2 drops total (a little goes a long way), or buy what is known as a 10% dilution of the otto or absolute in a carrier oil, which is more cost effective and allows you to use a little more.

Carol
Old 11-26-2002, 02:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Bath Fizzies

Original Poster: ChrisG
New Neighbor

Bath Fizzies

In one bowl mix.....

2 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. citric acid
1/4 cup baking soda

Mix all of the above together

In a coffee cup......

Melt 1 cup of coconut oil in the microwave, just until melted.
Add whatever kind of essential oil scent and color you want.
and mix with the coconut oil.

Add 3 Tbsp. of the liquid mix to dry mix and form into balls.
Let them dry overnight.

The coconut oil is solid like shortening, and you can get it at health food stores. I haven't purchased mine yet.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Original Poster: Harriette
Friend of the Family

Fizzy Bath Crystals

8 oz wt cornstarch
8 oz wt citric acid
16 oz wt baking soda
up to 1 tsp fragrance oil

Mix cornstarch & citric acid together thoroughly. Add oil as desired. Blend in baking soda. Package and label.

Note: Remember oils are stronger than potpourri scents. Package preferably in a fairly airtight container - old mocca tins covered with wrapping paper, painted, etc., make good packages in lieu of canning jars. Can use food coloring to go along with your scents.

Use 1/4 to 1/2 cup per bath.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Dragonspearls, where do you buy essential oils? I'd realy like to try some of these!

Thanks
Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member