Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Healthy Living > Beauty > Outer Beauty

Outer Beauty Make up tips, homemade bath concoctions, hair styles, more...

Old 10-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Dry, Dry, Dry everything!!

I swear that everything on my body is dry now....hair, skin, nasal cavity causing itching...etc. I have a dry cough as well.

What are some easy tips that you use and like to help with things like this?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 10-21-2009, 03:01 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

I have always had dry skin. I use a moisturizer from Mary Kay. It is the only thing that works for me.

Charlotte
Old 10-21-2009, 05:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tami I do not take too hot a shower as that will dry the skin...I don't dry off fully either, I apply moisturizer while there is still some water left on me. For my feet twice a week I lather them with good old vasoline and cotton socks overnight...works great. Your home may need a humidifier if the air is dry to help with your cough and skin. I also drink lots of water.

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 10-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by debknechtel
Tami I do not take too hot a shower as that will dry the skin...I don't dry off fully either, I apply moisturizer while there is still some water left on me. For my feet twice a week I lather them with good old vasoline and cotton socks overnight...works great. Your home may need a humidifier if the air is dry to help with your cough and skin. I also drink lots of water.

Hugs debbie
There's two HUGE downfalls for me....I love taking hot showers and I don't drink nearly as much water as I should. I will have to work on that.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 10-23-2009, 05:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I don't have a humidifier nor a place to put one so I put a pot of water on the stove and let if boil. I sometimes add orange peels or vanilla & cinnamon to the water to freshen the air as well as add moisture to it.

Roberta

Old 10-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

some easy tips for Dry dry dry everything

I like to have a lot of fluids on hand, especially water based: decaf coffee no dairy products added; Decaf tea w/honey; water, and Orange Juice. I keep samples (purse/ bag size) aloe lotion in all of our cars, and what ever purse/bag I am using for the day. Each car has aloe / lanolin wipes in the car (not ever roadside bathroom has soap at their faucets); wash with liquid soap w/lotion, use warm water when bathing, washing hands, if you don't use dish-gloves and/or a dish washer for cleaning, reduce the heat factor when hand washing or at least the amount of time your hands are under the hot water rinse. Where lose fitting cotton clothes (less irritating and snag able on dry sore skin). If you can't use Ivory, Dove, Camay (etc) type of bath soap - find one that says for "sensitive skin" and use that. Lip balm isn't just for lips anymore... if you don't have lotion available rub a lit lip balm on small dry patches (do not use if you have cracked skin),
Oatmeal soaks are great (special formulated Beauty products)! Stay away from perfume /cologne use. For the dry nose, saltine spray helps reduce the amount of nosebleeds (my DH uses), use a humidifier in the home. Have a meal which includes a "broth" base in it (chicken soup is a favorite).
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 10-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Try eating a little bit more healthy oils, olive or coconut. Drinking more water helps a lot. I use prue mango butter or coconut oil on my skin. Do not use lotion with water in it. It will dry your skin out more.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

You mean like just plain old coconut oil form the store? Where would I buy mango butter? My skin is really dry.....

hugs, train
Old 01-08-2012, 03:15 AM
Head Moderator
FamilyCorner Addict

I use A & D ointment on my feet and then socks over them when I go to bed (A&D ointment is usually in the diaper rash aisle), pots on my wood stove with water to add moisture to the air (we do this the whole time we are using the wood stove), DH and I both like creamy baby oil for anywhere on your body you need moisturizer. Not as messy as regular baby oil, but seems to work as well and not nearly as expensive as some of the items advertised for dry skin.

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 01-08-2012, 05:53 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I ordered mango butter online. Coconut oil from the store is what I use. I buy it in the grocery section.