Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Outer Beauty Make up tips, homemade bath concoctions, hair styles, more...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hello RTNRJK and MsDowser,

I agree with both of you young ladies....I am 49 and will be 50 in Jan. The numbers don't mean anything, they could be a setting on a dryer or the oven! The same for the weight! It does creep up on us and trying everyday to eat healthy should be our goal.
So I am with you both as we strive to be as great as possible!

Good luck to all of us!

janet
Old 06-16-2002, 09:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The Audrey Hepburn Way

I read this in Family Circle magazine, the April 2 issue, and LOVED IT!! Went looking for it, and as I found it, couldnt help sharing:

"TIME TESTED BEAUTY

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
For beutiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day.
For poise, walk with the knowledge that you'll never walk alone.
The tender loving care of human beings will never become obsolete.
People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed and redeemed and redeemed and redeemed.
Never throw out anybody.
And remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you'll find one at the end of your arm.
As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands: one for helping yourself, the other to help others.
Your "good old days" are still ahead of you.
May you have many of them.

This was one of Audrey Hepburn's favorite poems - and she did lived by it!
Wouldnt it be good to make it one's motto?

Big , everybody,

Fatima

fatima

"Stones in my path, I pick them all up: one day, I'm going to build a castle!" - Fernando Pessoa, (portuguese poet)
Old 06-16-2002, 09:54 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm loving this thread! I'm just pulling myself out of my "frumpdom" and I feel so much better for it! I don't go "all Out", but I do put a bit of makeup on, and got my hair cut in a cute style that doesn't take all morning to fix! Once a week I soak in a bubble bath and give myself a facial, manicure, and pedicure.

I'm losing weight(also sick of sweats and baggy shirts!)--and my mil can be a total...well, she can be a bit sarcastic. Well, I noticed at the last family get-together that I was NOT the largest person there, and I WAS the only one "done". So there!:p
Old 06-16-2002, 10:40 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ha! I love it MrsManiac! That's great!

Today I'm already showered, my hair is done and make up on. I'm in jeans, but waiting for my jean shorts to dry. These jeans are a little baggy and I don't like the way they look on me :p but it's better than sweats!

We are having the in laws over for a BBQ today, plus having cake for Tony's birthday (my eldest son). I'm searching for a recipe for tart shells right now. I love lemon curd tarts and have to make some!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 06-16-2002, 11:41 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

I think if we all work together we will keep our spirits high !!!!

Try to do something fun in the next day or so. I'm taking my husband to the movies tonight and we went out for breakfast for fathers day. My dh thinks the day is for him but I am going to enjoy every minute of it also.

Being happy will help us to feel good and want to look good.
Tell me what you all are going to do that is fun this week!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2002, 02:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Frumpy week

I'm PLANNING a frumpy week! DH is at his new job upstate and I will be working to get the house ready for the movers again this week. I hate moving and since he won't be here don't care if I'm frumpy. I just want to survive! :p dd 2 did take me to see Scooby Doo the movie with her and my 2 granddaughters and that was fun.

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 06-17-2002, 07:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Amanda you're my idol!!

Starting this thread was a fantastic idea. And what a good timing for me, I've decided not long time ago that I've must change my life and reading all the posts give me a boost.

I've seen myself in a lot of the posts and I must say that I cried Fatima when I read what happened to you with that rude person, it happened to me twice and I know how it's hurt. I came to a conclusion that those persons should felt very low to be in need to be rude with people to feel better about themself. I also love the poem and I think I'll use it as my motto.

[QUOTE]An English professor wrote the words, "Woman without her man is nothing," on the blackboard and directed the students to punctuate it correctly.
The men wrote: "Woman, without her man, is nothing."
The women wrote: "Woman! Without her, man is nothing." /QUOTE]
Thanks for the laughs Cindy.

Keep on your great jobs everyone and don't forget to have fun in everything you do, this is the only way to continue to do it.

Jo
Old 06-17-2002, 07:38 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Its 10:30am and so far so good. Today is my first day home without children and without work. (I'm a preschool teacher and I have the summers off) Today I decided to clean my bedroom and make it enjoyable to be in. Getting rid of things I don't need. Opening the windows to air it out and bring the breezes in.

I know it is hard to get started but once I started it is fun. I took a break to talk to you guys and I'm going back to work in about 10mins. I give myself little breaks and healthy snacks ( I had a banana) and water breaks!!!!!

Today I'm going to make a room I enjoy to be in and it makes me HAPPY.!!!!!! If I'm happy I don't eat !!!!! If I don't eat I can lose weight. Plus if I keep busy I won't think of garbage food.

I did go to the movies yesterday and had fun !!!!!!

Everyone enjoy your life !!!!! Live it to the fullest!!!!!
Old 06-17-2002, 07:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

chuckle you are all so great!

Thank you so much for the feed back! I do agree it takes a very low self esteem to attack people like that!
As for those nasty two women, my husbands friend's wife is NOT a friend of mine - besides, even before this incident I didnt liked her al all, she does get in my nerves... grrr... that time I only met her by accident on the street, when I was coming back from having a cup of coffee after diner with my mother in law... thats a very portuguese habit, we are always taking expressos, us and the italian... Now about my mother in law, things are very different... she was always kind of supportive when I was working. I know she doesnt aproove me too much, but I dont give it much of a thought...or at least didnt... since we've decided I'd be a sahm, my ds who was usually with her during the day, stoped going to her house every day, and started going there for the whole day once a week, and we all dine there on saturdays. She has been so mean since there - almost a year now...
I hate the victym type, and dont want to give you the wrong impression here: I'm not saying "oh poor me, people are so nasty, poor me...", but believe me, sometimes one wonders... lucky me I have a husband who always stands by me, and supports all my decisions, otherwise... I guess this marriage would have ended a long time ago !!! She is always making subtil remarks, about the way I take care of the kids, and as they are so subtil, I pretend I didnt understand it... as for dh, he wont addmit it and gtells her so - but not in too many words, no one speaks directly in that family...lol. So she has now tryied a different approach : she says it to my son. So now he's been feeling quiet insecure, he's always affraid to get sick, and dont let me get out from his sight, cos he says he's affraid that I die... (he's only 5...that is not natural) and makes remarks on the time he goes to bed, the time nan says he has to go... I'm going nuts! I'm thinking if this doesnt end, he'll stop going there that day of the week he goes, but that would raise other problems... And she does not treat both my kids the same way : she doesnt like my dd (11 yo)...
Bah, just went far away from the subject! Just wanted to thank you for your support... and end up venting! Thanks for bearing with me!

Big to you all,

Fatima

fatima

"Stones in my path, I pick them all up: one day, I'm going to build a castle!" - Fernando Pessoa, (portuguese poet)
Old 06-17-2002, 08:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Nope Fatima you don't sound like a victim! I just want to reinforce for you that being a MOM is the most important job you'll ever have! If you can be a SAHM then GREAT, go for it! I'm cheering all you SAHM's! 2 of my daughters are divorced so have no choice but to work so I am a SAH Nana. We have our struggles but ultimately the Mom's set the rules. You m-i-l sounds very insecure (and maybe guilty? Did she work when you dh was a child?) and an honest talk is called for. My dh's family is just like yours though. No one ever tells anyone anything so therefore hurt or angry feelings never get dealt with in this family.
Anyway just wanted to root everyone on in their determination to lose the frumpies.

I personally am big on venting so feel free to let it ot any time as far as I'm concerned. Maybe we should start a whole new thread that is devoted to venting all of our frustrations!

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member