Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Outer Beauty Make up tips, homemade bath concoctions, hair styles, more...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Yesterday dh interrupted me...
I did say that I woke up in taht graduation party, but thats not true. I only got aware of the problem, and then played dead ...
Months ago there was a workshop in the mall, to raise funds to breast cancer research, and as a contribution, I decided to make a quick wardrobe makeover with a stylist, in order to know what I should wear. Now, of course he said I was correctly dressed - I know better than to go there with what I usualy wear - and then he gave some good ideas. Now I am a sahm but I used to be a fashion designer, too, but one cant see one's mistakes as well as someone else does. And a few weeks ago I caught a BBC TV show called "What Not To Wear", that also gave me some highlitghs. And puting it all together, I guess I'm more body/fashion-concious than before. It doesnt mean I dress as I should, but at least I'm aware of what I do wrong, when I do it ...
Even lost 12 pounds!
I'm trying also to get back to basics - in more ways than looks...- and you can see how I'm trying to get it in my organizing journal,here at fmily corner, http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...&threadid=2167 . I'm really trying to get things right - I'm the most routinless, unorganized person in the planet!

Well, and that's the hole story!
Big to you all,

Fatima

fatima

"Stones in my path, I pick them all up: one day, I'm going to build a castle!" - Fernando Pessoa, (portuguese poet)
Old 06-13-2002, 05:03 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks for sharing your story Fatima, and for everyone else's support

I did feel better yesterday, and I do believe it was because I didn't feel so frumpy. Got up a little late this morning, plus I have a project I HAVE to get done, but I am still going to do what I did yesterday. I don't want to fall back into that funk. And it would be so easy to do!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 06-13-2002, 06:08 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just wanted to send great big {{{HUGS}}} to all of you! I do know what you're all going through. I'm a homeschooling mom to my own 5 as well as daycare provider from 6am-6pm to several others. I've gotten myself in the rut of "well, the kids don't care what I look like!" but then, like you all, I find myself looking around at all of the neatly "put together" moms at the baseball games, etc.....
Thanks for the wake-up call! No makeup on yet, but I did fix my hair this morning! LOL
Hunter (12)
Tucker (10)
Tanner (8)
Isabella (5)
Old 06-13-2002, 07:42 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good for you Samantha! I just came back from working with the dog and picking up Tony from summer school. I only have an hour till I have to pick up Kristen, so I'm off to shower and put on my makeup

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 06-13-2002, 08:30 AM
FamilyCorner Groupie

hello everyone

I was just reading the posts on this thread and you could have been describing me ... the ' used to look good all the time' to the 'gone frumpy now' looks. Then a few months ago i went to the thrift store in town with my mom to drop off some of her old clothes she didnt want and i saw this very pretty dress that i just fell in love with. It is a calf length dress with red roses on a white background...buttons all the way down the front and a lace/tie thingy ( lol) at the back. Well i was so used to wearing jeans and bulky sweaters and sweatshirts that i didnt think i would look good in this dress . It only cost $2.00 and it was BRAND NEW...still had the $129.95 price tag still on it lol well i bought it and put it on and this feeling came over me ... i dont know how to describe it umm i was feeling like i was a very pretty LADY again Since then i have worn my sweat pants only when me and my mom go for a walk in the mornings ( Friday , saturday, sunday, monday and tuesday mornings only as my mom works two days a week) and then i come home, shower ,find a nice dress or skirt and shirt to wear and i am set to go lol yes you probably did notice that i didnt mention make-up... i do know how to put on make-up as i am an aesthetician but i dont like wearing make-up too much .... i dont even wear lip stick lol i will however put on eye liner occasionally and a colored lip gloss .

I just want everyone to know that you arent alone in this frumpy period of life... i lived it for *argh* i dont know how many years and then that dress seemed to just scream out to me and it made me realize that i am pretty in a dress ( ok maybe not with all the razor cuts on my legs but hey lol it is a start ) and it was a new beginning to my life

Stick with it ladies you can break out of the 'frumpy rut' we have all been in I am living proof it can be broken lol

Keep up the good work and we are here for moral support for everyone

Sue
Old 06-13-2002, 09:09 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Good for you Amanda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am in the same boat. I spent the last four years having babies. I Had nothing but oversized shirts and sweatpants. I used to spend an hour on my hair and make up, but now I just don't do anything unless we go somewhere and then I just shower, put on some makeup and airdry my hair. I finally went clothes shopping ( never have been a shopper) for the first time in 4 or five years. I hated P.E. in school but now I force myself to do a workout tape, or weights, I try to do this 5 days a week. When I was pregnant I felt crummy so I never wanted to leave the house, and I'm trying to get out more now............. I've always been a homebody. It's hard to change but if we keep trying, we'll get there eventually.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:30 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Yikes! I think I wrote that! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels that way. I stand in front of my closet daily and try to decide which t-shirt I will wear today.The one with less holes or least noticeble stains? I am a SAHM to a 2 year old boy. No matter what I wear. it will end up dirty anyway! I think that's part of the problem. As for showering everyday? Forget it! I'm lucky my teeth get brushed! I feel as though I have lost the person I used to be - young and thin(ner) and attractive! LOL! Well, at least I can work on the thinner part - I'm down 13 lbs. thanks to Weight Watchers. I know this is a temporary problem but geesh! sometimes I feel like the lady in the commercial -"Calgon! Take me away!" (for those of you that remember that!) Keep up the good work Amanda - but one little bit of advice if I may...don't try to change too many things at once - just take it one thing at a time and it won't seem so overwhelming!
Old 06-13-2002, 09:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Ladies,
I usually lurk but post sometimes..This one got to me.
SHAME ON YOU!! (now don't take me serious) I was a hair dresser for 35 years and I just got in the habit of always putting on make up and doing my hair.
I haven't worked for 4 years but I still put on my make up I don't leave the house with out it. (sometimes it only take about 5 minutes )
I wear T -shirts but I don't own ones with stains or holes they go in the trash or to goodwill. I did have a weight problem so I'm taking care of that.(about 70 lbs in 1 1/2 years.(one year on WW)
I think its great that you guys are now aware of how much better you feel if you " gussy up" (thats my grandmas words).

I still have 15 lbs to go.

Sorry this is long but I want you all to know that I am in your corner.
Good Luck too you all.

I'll be watching to see your progress.((((HUGS)))

Dawn
Old 06-14-2002, 03:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I hear ya!!!

I am sooooooooo hearing you. I have been married for 6 years (together for 11 years) and I got myself into a "comfy" mode. I got a real wake up call this past Jan when he decided to leave. I had the usual feelings of loss, devestation, abandonment, blah, blah, blah. Then I looked at myself in the mirror and realized how "comfy" I had really become. Weight gain was the worst!!! And because of the weight gain my entire wardrobe consisted of cargo pants, shorts and T-shirts. Make up was only applied when I went out for an evening, which was almost never. And the hair.....well, let's just say the hair leaves alot to be desired!!!

I am making some changes to my daily routine because of this wake up call. Some of the changes include weight watchers, a daily shower routine, that doesn't seem like a huge deal but when you add to kids under the ages of 4, a simple shower can turn into a two hour event/ordeal. I have also joined a gym. THe only problem I seem to have with the gym is actually getting there.

Keep me up to date on things, and I will do the same.

Katie
Old 06-14-2002, 04:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

That's Me

Amanda, thank you so much for starting this thread... until then I
truly thought I was the only one that looked like something the
cat dragged in
I'm starting to get on the right track - I've joined a gym (the 4th
one in 7 seven years, but this time I'm really going to use it !) and I'm really trying the shower in the morning, put on makeup thing.... I guess that's something I have to work harder on, hopefully it will just become part of my routine!
Thanks for all of your stories, ladies... you're all very inspiring and supportive
Keep up the good work!!

~ Laura
Mom to:
Justin - 9
Haley - 4
Hannah - 2

"The soul needs friendship, the heart needs love..." Ed Habib