Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-20-2002, 07:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Self Tanners (do you or don't you)

How many of you are a user of Self Tanning? How many of you prefer tan the old fashion way - in the sun?

If you self tan, what products do you use and which would you never touch again.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Years and years ago, I used to love to bake in the sun using baby oil. Bow ever since I had my daughter, I do not tan well at all any more...

I have tried self tanners and most of the ones I did use I hated. They streaked or looked orange. I did have a nice one called California something or other and it worked nicely.

So what about you, please share your stories.

Old 07-24-2002, 06:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I've only used a self-tanner once. It was Bain de Soleil. It was a sunscreen/self-tanner. It didn't work "great", but did give me a little color. I did have problems with it turning my hand orange, at it had to dry for 1/2 an hour before I could get dressed or else my clothes would make it streak. That was 10 years ago. I'm sure there are a lot better ones now, I'd go for a spray or foam if I were to try it again. My skin doesn't tan like normal people so nobody every expects me to have a tan, it'd probably look fake on me.
Old 07-27-2002, 06:38 PM
kellyandkids

WHY???

Why do you want to look like an old prune before your time? Skin cancer is a serious epidemic in this self-absorbed country. Model some health conscious behavior for your daughter. This is right up their with smoking as a dumb idea who's time is over.
Old 07-27-2002, 08:15 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi,
I use a self tanning lotion on my legs to help camo vericose veins, and who has time to lay in the sun to get tan legs with 3 kids?! Anyways in the past I've used Banana Boat (get at Wal Mart etc.)with good results, no orange hands, no streaking and the color is good. Recently, I was given a Mary Kay product that works really great. The color is wonderful and there is no streaking or hand discoloration (and no I'm NOT a Mary Kay rep! LOL) Again, I've only used on my legs no where else.Hope this little bit it helps.
Old 07-27-2002, 08:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Neutragena is good!

The Neutragena self tan/bronzer in one is nice - it tans you RIGHT AWAY so you can see how the color takes. THen you can rinse off in like an hour if it is too dark (since I am fair I usually do) and I get a nice color. It is like $9 but lasts quite a while and I don't have to use it too often - maybe twice a week - no major foul oder either.... Many of them STINK. I know the new Coppertone one with the two different colored cremes that blend together stinks!

Jenn
Old 07-28-2002, 05:07 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Self tan products

Hi there

I used to sit out and bake myself when I was younger . However now I have discovered the Coppertan self taning creams and love them. They go on evenly thank goodness. I was nervous the first time I tried them ,thinking I would end up looking like a Zebra. However they have greatly improved the product in the last couple of years. I still sit out in the sun and enjoy it but I'm also wiser now and don't over do it. copper tan washes off if you don't reply it daily but it is a pretty natural looking tan. I have had comments from work pals saying wow how did you get such a nice tan. They were really surprised when I told them my secret.
So for what ever it's worth, that's my opinion.
Have a great day!
Donna:
Old 07-28-2002, 07:26 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am a pale skinned blonde- hardly tan at all naturally and don't want skin cancer anyhow. I have used Banana Boat fake tan stuff with great success. Just takes practice to avoid streaks and orange hands and ankles ! Not all that expensive (WalMart), and worth the trouble. I use the spray on the body and the cream tanner on my face. The spray seems to be darker but I like the cream for more control on the face. I use the Light tanner, not the Dark. You can always apply another coat if it is not dark enough, but you want to keep it natural.

Also- if you got the bucks try Mystic Tan. Some tanning salons have it and it worked great for me. At my local tan spa you get two sessions of Mystic Tan for $25, which is a lot more expensive than Banana Boat at home. The advantage is a fairly excellent tan (follow their directions in the booth!) that lasts about 5 days.
It was truly easy and very fast. I did not expect this to look good on me but I was very favorably impressed. I am pretty fair and this Mystic Tan (it is a booth that sprays you all over- a little scary the first time but totally safe) looked good. I hate the price though .
Old 07-29-2002, 03:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Since I am a latina I am not very fair to where I need to worry about orange lotions. That orange stuff actually looks good on me because I have a lot of "yellow" in my skin tone....lolol. I actually avoid tanning naturally at all - not only because of the cancer aspect but because I look like I just rolled in mud instead of "golden".....lol I always put on sunscreen. I have taken such good care of my face that when I put my face under one of those special blue lights to check for sun damage last year I had no damage at all. I am going on 38 in October!!!

If a man says something and no woman hears it....is he still wrong?

Well, nobody's perfect - Osgood E. Fielding III
SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)

My FC Member Awards!
<hr height=3 color=green width=95%>

Hey, I won!
Old 07-29-2002, 04:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I used to bake in the sun when I was younger but no longer.

Last year my grandmother and uncle both had skin cancer. SO now I have to keep an eye out myself.

As for the self tanners, I have a few different ones here (Californian Sun, Nutregena and another one). I received full size samples of each.

Maybe one of these days I will be adventurous and try them out, using rubber gloves so my hands do not turn orange....

Old 07-29-2002, 10:22 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Has anyone ever used that stuff from the infomercial (I think they have it at target too) called perfect tan or something like that? Does it work good?

gina.