Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-02-2003, 04:04 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

20th Class Reunion

Hi there-

I've been voted Chair person for the planning of my 20th class reunion. We've got a great group of people helping in this, but I'm still finding my self in need of help.

We're planning a family gathering instead of the formal get together. But we are working with a slim budget. So far the rental of the space and the DJ is eating up half of our funds and we still need to get a caterier (bbq chicken, hamb & hd and all the fixins), games for the kids and awards for the classmates.

There are so many things that we want to do, but don't have the funds to accomplish. Is it foolish to ask for sponsor's? We want to make this event a memorable one.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Since you are planning a reunion like a family gathering why not have everybody bring their favorite dish? After 20 years everybody will have something that they are great at preparing. We have a grade school reunion every year and it's for anyone that attended the grade school. The grade school closed it's doors several years ago. We have learned that we won't be around forever and if we don't get together now and enjoy old times we may wait too late. We always have plenty of food with lots of leftovers so there shouldn't be a problem with having enough food. That would be one way to cut the cost. The most important thing is to just get together and everybody have a good. Let us know how it turned out.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:21 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

My DH and I also chaired our 20th High School Reunion. First of all you have to realize that you cannot do it all. Furthermore, alot of classmates would love to help and often feel hurt and left out if they are invited. We broke this reunion down into bite sized pieces that everyone could handle fairly easily without putting the burden on a single classmate. Our committes were as follows:

Program & invitations
Advertisement- phone committee
Friday night casual re-acquaintance social
Friday night D.J.
Friday night finger foods
Saturday night semi-formal
Memoriabilia
Saturday night food
Saturday night Band
Sunday mid-morning nondenominational worship service
Sunday service prayer brochure which listed poems and dedicationals for the names of our dearly departed in which their parents or spouses and children attended on their behalf.
Sunday Family Picnic in the park

First things first, call and ask for help and ask if anyone knows of a classmate or other that could donate printing services, cooking services, d.j. services, band services, religious services, buildings or locations to host the above, equipment for cooking............. My son is a D.J. and the D.J. coordinator gave him a list of every popular song we enjoyed in high school. A classmate took over his parents printing business which provided our printing services. A $50 couple or $25 single fee was charged for the entire weekend and this was more than ample to handle hall rentals, souveniers which were engraved goblets at the semi-formal, stamps to mail invitations and other expenses. Let people help and most importantly hold a meeting bi-weekly to get a report on each committee and see who needs help or what the progress is. Most of all, don't forget to enjoy your own reunion. Advertisements are generally free on your local community bulletin board for the news and radio broadcasts. Don't forget to use your most valuable tool when locating classmates, the computer. Have a great time.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi momoftwo,
I wouldn't let my pride get in the way of asking for all the help that's needed to pull off your reunion. There have to be people you went to school with that either does something themselves or knows of someone who would be willing to donate. You're going to have to charge a fee for each family. You'll have to work out what that'll be so that it will be fair. Some people choose not to marry and they may want to come alone. Then there are families who have no children, but I'm sure you can work out the price issue.

Please do let us know how it turned out and I wish you the best of luck. You're gonna have a lot on your plate until this is done!
Old 08-17-2003, 08:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Momoftwo - I was also going to say to talk to classmates and see what you can get donated or at a reduced cost. You would be surprised at who knows who.

Also on the cost per family or person to attend. I would try to keep this down as it can keep some of the classmates away.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 08-17-2003, 09:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

redcardnialbird & momoftwo

Yeah, the cost is important, but if people really want to see their classmates since the last reunion, they're usually willing to put out the money just so long as it's not extreme! At least this is my view on reunions. I didn't go to my 30th, because I was single since my husband had passed away and they were having a 2-day, 3 night event, which included a dance, picnic and one other event I can't remember. I think it may have been a supper. My girlfriend, who is single, said we could go together just to see everyone, but I felt that I would feel out of place being alone. Next year will be my 40th, and I hope it's a one night/day deal. MY 40th!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2003, 08:14 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

First Congratulations on being voted class chairwoman!!

The family gathering sounds wonderful! You may end up having a larger turn out by including the entire family.

For your food, see if you can locate a local pig roaster you could rent, which would feed more people. When you send out the invites ask everyone to bring a covered dish to share. Or even ask that they bring two; one desert/salad/egg item and one meat dish (hot or cold). You may even want to ask some to bring chips/rolls/condiments. This would cover all your extra needs. You could even include that each family bring their own dinner/place settings (plasticware, plates, cups, beverage). This would cut your cost of needing servers and table settings. Creat a summer picnic atmosphere. With having several age brackets, including the children, a picnic theme would work nicely.

As for awards for classmates, you could include prizes for most creative dressed, first to arrive, farthest to attend, first to attend, largest family, smallest family, ect. Ask local businesses to sponsor prizes, some will issue Gift Certificates while others may include actual products. Be sure to find local "party plan" type business owners as well, they usually are looking for ways to help advertise their business. Businesses could also sponsor prizes for children. By asking for help you keep your cost down and get others involved to add more than what you hoped for.

A great game for kids of all ages is a Candy Throw. Some candy stores will offer discounts on larger portions. Add a few small toys and do the game in age brackets if you are expecting alot of children. All you need are some paper lunch bags, a pen to write the childs name on it, and a big box of candy and goodies to throw.

Melissa Kylor
Old 09-05-2003, 03:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

JoshNZackMom

I want to thank you and everyone else for the ideas you sent. They all sound great and I will bring them to the attention of the reunion committee during our next meeting.

I beleave that we will be making a list of the local merchants in hopes of speaking with them and getting some donations. I myself plan on donating a basket of hot jellies that I make. And hopefully I can get the other members to follow suit. I also plan to approch my boss as I work in a liquor store. He donates to everything else, so I know that he'll donate something to us.

I know it's alot to think about, since the reunion isn't until 2004. But I'm one of those people that has to have everything done and accounted for way in advance. LOL Drives people crazy!!

JoshNZachMom, I would love to except your gracious offer of a donation. Let me know where I should send my information. Not sure if it's appropriate to list it here or if there's another route of doing something like this. I've never done this before and you could say that I'm not really computer literate. LOL I can check my e-mails and hit the 'post reply' button. With a household to run, sometimes I can't do that right. So, please let me know how to go about this the right way. I sincerely appreciate everything and hope to see more suggestions soon.

Thank you again and have a nice day!
Old 07-18-2004, 09:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by momoftwo
I know it's alot to think about, since the reunion isn't until 2004. But I'm one of those people that has to have everything done and accounted for way in advance.

So, did y'all have the reunion yet???

If so, how did it go???

Old 08-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I would also like to know if you have had your reunion yet and what did you serve and what help did you get? I will be helping to plan our class reunion year after next and would like to hear how things went with yours.