Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Organizing Needs hints and tips on organizing your house? Are you a clutterbug or do you pile things instead of filing things? Help out where you have succeeded or ask for help from this great group of friends!

View Poll Results: Is the FlyLady form of organzing and decluttering working for you?
Yes, I love it, I've never had a cleaner house! 47 53.41%
No, the emails drove me batty! 6 6.82%
Yes and No. I couldn't stand the constant emails, but I have implemented some of the ideas! 20 22.73%
No, it's nothing I wasn't already doing. 3 3.41%
Never heard of it! 13 14.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I love Flylady. There is no criticism, no "you have to do it this way". I have never really told my dh that I "work" with Flylady. He would not understand that someone I have not really met has helped me so much. So this is my secret.

I love that I can start-over with Flylady whenever I want(can). I don't feel that I am being left behind when I can't be home.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:28 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Connie, Congrats on joining Flylady! Be prepared for all the e-mails. I think the website said they send about 10 each day. I switched to the Daily Digest but I think I might switch back. I kind of like looking in my inbox & seeing a reminder from her throughout the day. I didn't get yesterday's e-mail until this morning because I was already asleep when it came last night.

I introduced my dd's to the House Fairy this morning and they were so excited! They ran upstairs & immediately made their beds. We'll see how it works. I opened a thread about www.housefairy.org yesterday to see if anyone else has had any luck using it.

I didn't get dressed this morning, I'm still in my pjs. DH worked last night so he was asleep & I'd already made enough noise cleaning the bathroom. I thought I'd better get out of our bedroom before he got too grumpy about me waking him up.

I cleaned my bathroom & dd's bathroom and I put the breakfast dishes into the dishwasher & wiped my sink dry. I've also done one load of laundry. Not bad since it's only 12:30. There's still room for lots of improvement, but it's more than I would have usually done on a Sunday morning.

Have a great day!

Mindy

Unnecessary possessions are unnecessary burdens...Chinese Fortune Cookie
Old 02-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Happy face Sheila Shine

Mindy,
That's great--all those things you've done, add up to a much improved home, don't they? I'm sure you'll continue to see improvements everyday if you just do "something" each day (at least 15 minutes worth).

I buy Sheila Shine at my local Ace Hardware store. It's not cheap. I pay about $8. for a can but it does last a long time and the results are soooo worth it to me!

Keep up the good work!
Mari
Old 02-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Assistant Moderator

So far today I have throw away some paper on the desk, spent time with my dh ( important since he has been working a lot) and given dh a massage. I need to work giving massages into my daily life plus cleaning and organizing my house. Then I fouond out I don't have classes tomorrow so I took a nap!
Old 02-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Mari, I'll have to check Ace Hardware & see if they carry it here.

Connie, good job sorting through the papers. I went through a stack yesterday. I hate stacks of paper, they seem to take over my house. I'm glad you were able to spend time w/ your dh. Mine's been working crazy hours so I know how it is. Since you don't have school tomorrow that's like "found" time. Take advantage of it.

I need to go empty the sink. DH fed the girls dinner tonight & I came home to dishes in the sink...AAAHHH! I'm going to load the dishwasher, switch the laundry from washer to dryer, and try to get some sleep.

Have a great evening all!

Have a great day!

Mindy

Old 02-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Assistant Moderator

Didn't do very well yesterday but doing okay today. I don't always get done what the emails say but I get something done. I am happy with that.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Connie, I don't get everything done each day either, but I'm doing more than I normally would have. We have to remind ourselves of Flylady's motto...Progress, not perfection!

I talked dd's into cleaning up 5 things from the study (which is another playroom for them) this morning. It helps that the House Fairy visited yesterday and left them each a puzzle in their bedroom. They also found some things in their playroom upstairs & in the basement to donate. I gave them a bag for throw-away things but I think it's still empty. Oh well, it's better than nothing.

I went through my bedroom and threw away some old magazines. Then I looked in my closet and found 10 more things to add to the 2 large bags that will be donated to some charity...Goodwill, Amvets?

Then I went through my dd's drawers and shuffled the things that don't fit dd1 anymore to dd2's drawer. The clothes that don't fit dd2 anymore went into the bag of clothes that will get passed down to my sister's niece. I love recycling clothes!

I'm feeling both proud of myself & embarrased. I went through 2 boxes that have been sitting in my closet since we moved in here...4 years ago! They were both boxes of bathroom things from our 1 1/2 bathrooms in our old house. Both of those had medicine cabinets and we only have one med. cab. in this house, in the girls bathroom. I never found new homes for the things in this house. So, pretty much everything in the boxes expired in 2003 or before so almost everything in the boxes got pitched. Lots of old, partial bottles of lotion, old toothpastes, meds, and just a bunch of junk. I felt so great that I spent the time (finally!) and went through that stuff...but that's also why I'm embarrassed. Those boxes have been taking up room in my closet for 4 years! I have 2 more boxes in my closet from the move to still go through. They're boxes of decorations, mementos, knick-knacks, etc. My decorating style has changed since my old house but these are the things that I didn't sell at my garage sale. Now I have to dig through the boxes and really decide what I can live without and what I can find a new home for.

I also took down my shower curtain & liner in my bathroom. The liner went in the trash (gross!) & the curtain in the washing machine. I'm also washing the rugs from my bathroom & from the girls' bathroom. So I've done a lot of laundry today, but no clothes. I'll have to try to do several loads of laundry tomorrow. I was already behind so it's really piling up now. Three hampers full! Ugh!

All of this started this morning by sweeping the floors & taking out the trash. I just kept going and finding new things to tackle. If I find any more energy I'm going to vacuum later today. If not, the floors will still be there tomorrow.

Have a great Valentine's Day!

Have a great day!

Mindy

Old 02-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Assistant Moderator

I cleaned my toliet and the bathroom mirrors.
I am getting the laundry done.
Planned out a new project for homeschool.
Finished my flashcards for college, even studied them for a while. And walked for five minutes on the treadmill. Pretty darn good. Oh, dd baked cookies and the ham is cooking for a Valentines Day dinner tonight.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Way to go, Connie! All that work & you still did the treadmill. I'm proud of you!

I did some more decluttering today. I worked on several areas, threw a lot of things away & added some things to the donation bags. My dh did a double take when he walked in tonight and asked if he was in the right house. The house is still very cluttered, but I'm feeling great about the progress that I've made.

I need to go start a load of laundry & then watch Survivor, we recorded it on the DVR. Wonder who will go home tonight!

Have a great day!

Mindy

Old 02-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Assistant Moderator

I have been doing very good on the laundry and keeping the kitchen tidy. I do have help with my kids being older.

I didn't do much today we had a family crisis but such is life.