Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Getting Organized > Organizing

Organizing Needs hints and tips on organizing your house? Are you a clutterbug or do you pile things instead of filing things? Help out where you have succeeded or ask for help from this great group of friends!

View Poll Results: Is the FlyLady form of organzing and decluttering working for you?
Yes, I love it, I've never had a cleaner house! 47 53.41%
No, the emails drove me batty! 6 6.82%
Yes and No. I couldn't stand the constant emails, but I have implemented some of the ideas! 20 22.73%
No, it's nothing I wasn't already doing. 3 3.41%
Never heard of it! 13 14.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:50 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Remember flylady's word you are never behind & can always start over! sounds like everyone had a good visit. Have a good day!
Old 07-09-2002, 10:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Yup, Joyce, dont get too worried about the home blessing hour! You know what I use to say to myself? "Dont think about it, JUST DO IT!" ... but dont stress over it!

All you gals have a rest of a nice day. And you Joyce, have a good weekend if we dont talk again before it begins !

to you people

Fatima

fatima

"Stones in my path, I pick them all up: one day, I'm going to build a castle!" - Fernando Pessoa, (portuguese poet)
Old 07-09-2002, 07:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

;-) Hello Gals

Sounds like all doing will here. With all the flybabies and ladies. All did good here but I didn't get my fly mission done. Had to stay to long at scouts.

This be Tree
Old 07-09-2002, 08:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hey, everybody, hope you all are resting well by now...well, I guess it's earlier in some parts of the country, so hope you all just get a good night's sleep!! I'm home again, don't have to go back to work until Friday at 2pm, and feel like a kid out of school, lol.

Thanks for the good wishes, Fatima, and my "week-end" will be great, believe me. Most of them are, I just got side-tracked last week because Dearly Beloved was home for the holiday...and he doesn't do home really well, lol. He likes to get out and go, go, go. I'm just the opposite, when I'm home, I really want to stay there!! I'll probably do the House Blessing over two days this week, but I'll take your advice and NOT STRESS over it, lol.

Mtsstoll, good advice indeed, and hopefully I'll jump right in again in the AM. How long have you been a Flybaby? It's about three months for me, I think, altho it may be closer to four by now...I'm not really sure. I think I started flying this past April, when I decided I was tired of sitting around depressed, in my gown unless I was going to work, and letting the house control me...instead of me controlling the house. I'd tried flying about a year ago, didn't want to do the routines or wear shoes...duh...but this time I got serious. The shoes really make a major difference for me, as I can't walk in my moccasins any more...I have severe arthritis and two degenerative discs, so I need the support of good shoes. And I HATE HATE HATE wearing shoes, sigh!!

Tree, I took the liberty of reading your first journal entry, and I'm not surprised that you didn't get to the mission...you've got an unbelievably full plate, don't you? You didn't even schedule any break time for yourself...you gotta take those breaks, you really do. I didn't do Monday's mission because I'm not willing to tackle my hotspot in the kitchen yet...it's my desk, and I didn't do Tuesday's because, well, just because, lol. But it is one I've been needing to do for a long time....clean the silverware tray...mine is soooo grungy. So, I'll do it over my days off, I promise, lol. Now, you take a break, hear me?

Klcrn, I'm so glad the visit went well and that they got back safely. I worry so about my son when he comes to visit and then drives back to Florida. I guess it doesn't matter how old they get, does it? About the 'fridge and the unknown stuff in it: years ago, a friend of mine opened my fridge and pulled out a bowl of gray fuzzy stuff. He looked at it, and said, "I don't know what this is, but I've got some at home just like it!!" and put it back in the fridge!! I cracked up, and at the same time, just felt pretty good knowing I wasn't the only person in the world with gray fuzzy stuff growing in my 'fridge. I'm proud to say, there's nothing gray or fuzzy or growing in there right now...but those beans are really, really close to it, lol. Ok, out they go tomorrow, I promise!! And I'll do the sink before I go to bed tonite.

Adizkide, how are you doing? Still here flying with the rest of us? As you can see, we're still not perfect, we're still struggling, but I think all of us are doing better than we used to. Progress, not perfection!!

Ladies, I'll see y'all later, hope y'all rested well and are having a good day.

"If your life seems to be all tangled up, stop struggling...sit still...God will untie the knots." __author unknown
Old 07-10-2002, 11:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I feel like I'm molting!!

I feel like my feathers are falling out and I don't have the strength to fly.

Let me explain--1st--I know that technically, we're not suppose to whine but I'm feeling ssoo frustrated right now--I need your advice--

2nd-I know-I know---BABY STEPS!! But even babies need help getting pick up at times ;-) !!

Yesterday I thought I was making real progress in my kitchen--I cleaned my stove, microwave, countertops and CLEANED MY FRIDGE!!! jb829-I know about the moldy stuff, I threw out 1/2 of a garbage bag full of furry leftovers on Monday, so with the fridge decluttered I figured I'd clean it. OH MY GOD!!! the slime and growdy(sp) stuff that I found was unbelievable!! I didn't know that the one bottom piece came out, so I never cleaned under it! Somehow as I was wiping down the inside I bumped the tray and it loosened up-no wonder my fridge had this "something crawled inside and died" smell the last few days. (I'm sad to say that after what I found, I can't swear that something didn't!)

Anyway to make a long story short-sort of--all was going well until I decided to take our big shelves down and put up smaller ones to make moving around in the kitchen easier. My DH didn't understand my reasoning-(the larger shelves made it hard to get into the basement with a load of clothes, etc.-and since he's allergic to laundry-need I say more!!) so he coped an atitude from the start which got everybody else in a "mood" . The shelves I tried to use were cheap and unsteady but I had already taken the other ones to the basement and DH had something to say about that!! We finally got the shelves done at about 8:30 and DH griped about dinner being so late. In the rush to get dinner, I knocked the glass rotation plate from the microwave on the floor and broke it!! And then, I slopped over the dirty water I was using to mop the floor and then dinner was only so-so. I finally got things relatively under control, took a shower and went to bed.

This morning when I got up-I walked into the kitchen and thought--"Hey, this doesn't look to bad" but then I turned aound and looked at the dining room-all the stuff I taken out of the kitchen to straighten IT up was now piled in the dining room making IT a mess!!!

I guess what all this is getting to--DOES IT EVER COME TOGETHER!!!!! All you FLYLadies, will it ever get to the point to where you stop just moving piles around the house??

I know that a lot of my problem is that I have NO storage spaces-I only have two closets in the whole house-both in the 2 larger bedroom and I don't EVEN want to start in the basement!! So I have no where to hide my piles. I have tried to brutally declutter but there are somethings we just have to keep.

Are the other FLYBabies out there having the same problems and what are you doing to solve them??

I'm trying ssoo hard to flutter but I seem to be in a downward spin right now. Just when I think I'm getting the hang of it--my hotspot becomes a raging inferno.

Thank you for listening--I feel much better all ready just being able to vent to someone who understands--I love them with every fiber of my soul but my family is CLUELESS!!

Later.............Love you guys!!!
Old 07-10-2002, 02:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I don't post on this thread much, but I keep up with the conversation daily. I hear you, and I am here to listen anytime!! Keep you head up, klcrn. (At least your fridge is now clean. )
Old 07-10-2002, 06:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Klcrn Hi Gal friend. I know what you mean. And I'm here to lean on. I feel over my head some times too. The Kithcen allway my hardest room. I clean it ALL the time I get burned out on it. Between cooking 3 meals a day plus the extra baking I do for the store It seem all I do is tackle that kitchen

But I do have the laundry monster in control, 1 load a day and I do have my paperwork in control. So that 2. Menu is planned and that helps.

So hang in there We Can Do It.

This be Tree

Jb249 I promise to sedcule in break time check out Thurs. plan After I get it posted
Old 07-10-2002, 06:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: I'm somewhere between the Port of Indecision & Southwest of Disorder
RE: I feel like I'm molting!

klcrn
Welcome to the world of 'crash and burn'! You're not molting you're melting! Cangrats on what you did accomplish, but you took on more than you could finish in an hour. It will all come together. Your DH is probably thinking, 'Here we go again.' If you are like me you have started your clean up, clean out, and get organized so many times that it is sort of old hat and a how long will it last this time. Remember that you are doing this for yourself. For your own peace and the peace and cooperation of your family will follow. My DH doesn't cop an attitude, he just ignores any thing that doesn't fit with what he wants right then. I do the floors and he comes in with dirt and/or mud caked in his shoes and never slows down through the whole house or as soon as I get the kitchen clean he has to wash his face and hands in the kitchen sink. Needless to say when he walks away from the sink I have to go back and clean up everything for 3 feet on each side & in front of the sink and then he decides that he wants peaches and ice cream so he peels the peaches over the compost pail and drips juice on the floor all the way to his bowl and on the counter all around his bowl. Ah, then the ice cream drips mingle with the peach juice and more drips from the counter to the table. I have to keep a clear plastic tablecloth over my nice one if I want the table to stay looking even halfway nice. When he gets through it looks like a 2 year old just learning to feed themself has been there. He will take his dishes to the sink, but never will he put them into the dishwasher, even when it is standing open for him.
We are a retired couple and at 59 years of age I decided to take charge of my clutter. Chaos is too hard on the nervous system at my age. Whether he is deliberately trying to sabotage my efforts or whether he just doesn't think I'll hang in there I don't know and maybe he doesn't either. But I intend to hang in there in spite of it all. This time it isn't about anyone else it is for ME. So vent when you need to, we are here for you, but just remember that it is baby steps, but don't take on but one project at a time and when it is done, stand back and admire your accomplishment, pat yourself on the back, you deserve it. If you have a crockpot, find some good recipes and use it to your advantage. Be sure to plan time for you, even if it is just 15 mins to sit down and read a chapter in a good book, an article in a magazine that caught your attention, or for a real upper, take a tablet and list what you have accomplished and relax. Then you are ready for your next baby step.

God bless and keep you. One day you will turn around and look and you will have a clutter and chaos free home. You can do it!!
Old 07-10-2002, 08:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Klcrn, bless your heart, baby, you sure had a time of it...and as far as I'm concerned, whine away!!! Sometimes I just don't care what FlyLady says, I have to whine. Since I'm human, and since you're human, you have to whine sometimes too, so just come here and let us be your whining board, as well as your rah rah friends. And a great big RAH RAH RAH to you for getting the 'fridge clean...my beans are still sitting in mine, lol.

I do have one of your problems, tho...we live in a teeny, tiny one-bedroom house, and Dearly Beloved is a pack rat. Ok, so maybe I am a little bit of one, too, lol. We have somewhere between 400 to 900 square feet here, and I think it's probably closer to 400. I have a desk in the kitchen, so there's no room for a kitchen table, and my counter space is so small that the microwave is on a shelf on my bookcase in the living room...which is a MAJOR accomplishment. It sat on the floor for almost a year, until about three weeks ago when I decluttered the bookcase...I gave away five cartons of books. Ok, truth...two of them are still on the LR floor, sigh.

It's all about baby steps, just like the others told you, and doing just a little at a time. FlyLady herself says it took her a little over NINE months to get her home in shape...one room she decluttered by throwing away TWO things a day. We didn't get into the messes we're in in one day, we're not going to get out of them in one day. Keep doing the 27-Fling Boogies, throw the stuff away, you literally cannot organize clutter. My closets are still packed full, even after giving away two huge garbage bags of clothes, shoes, purses, and after numerous Flings. A lot of the stuff that's packed away in boxes now is stuff I could cheerfully toss, but Dearly Beloved gave it to me, and if I even suggested getting rid of it, he would pout for weeks and weeks...ask me how I know that one, ok?

Anyway, kl, I'm here for you, I'll listen any time you need to vent...it's not really whining, it's legit venting in my opinion. Get a good night's sleep, and in the morning, dress to the shoes, shine your sink, make your bed, and swish your toilet. Then take some time with God...pray over this...meditate...read the Bible...I do it every morning, and the mornings I miss, well, it just doesn't feel as good that day. Then after your devotional time, tackle one thing for 15 minutes. Baby steps, baby steps!!

Jole Blonde, are you sure we aren't sharing the same man??? I laughed out loud at your description of him, especially about the dishwasher...man, can I relate!! So usually I'm the one who cops the attitude!! Does it do any good? Well, no, of course not, lol. So you are right, we just have to do this for ourselves!!

Tree...good for you!! I'm going now to check your schedule for tomorrow...I don't have one yet...and no, I didn't do my Weekly House Blessing today...in fact, all I did was my morning routine. But I went to lunch with a friend, and then she and I went to a thrift shop, where I bought four books....$4.25!! Had one of the best days I've had in a long time, so I don't feel bad about the house...it's still here, lol.

Hope y'all have a good rest tonite, and I'll see y'all sometime tomorrow. Hang in there, klcrn, ok? I love ya, and I've got faith in you...plus I'll send up a little prayer for you!!

"If your life seems to be all tangled up, stop struggling...sit still...God will untie the knots." __author unknown
Old 07-11-2002, 12:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Oh Ladies-THANK YOU SSSOO MUCH for your words of support I needed to hear them ssoo badly. After I wrote I almost edited my post and erased it-I felt so silly. My DH always said I remind him of a firecracker--I'm little (5'0"), go off with a big bang and then I'm done! After I posted, I felt so much better just putting it in words that I pulled myself together and finished making dinner, washed my uniforms and ironed 5 out of 8. It was like I had renewed energy.

I think I was just having a residual "hangover" from yesterday--I forgot to tell you the final kicker between the so-so dinner and my shower!! I had no idea that a 65 pound dog could throw up 75 pounds of barf!! And did she hit the kitchen floor (even tho it was freshly mopped)?? NNNOOOO, she had to hit the carpet in the dining room!! So there I was-on my hands and knees-scrubbing dog puke out of the carpet while DH and DS#2-3 were screaming-eewwww(sp) Katie just threw up. Does DUH come to mind!!!! I can laugh about it now but last night it was all I could do not to cry!!

I know that it will take time-I have NEVER been a good housekeeper. Growing up, my mom worked all day and now as a mom myself, I think it was easier for her to do the cooking and cleaning herself rather than to take the time to show me how. I was always a bigtime tomboy (still am) and would rather spend my time playing football (tackle of course) with the guys and climbing trees that doing GIRL things like cook and clean. I guess in the long run, it was really my loss, I never learned how so when it came time for my own home, I didn't know where to start. FLYLady seems so perfect because she "holds your hand" and takes you step by step-just what I need!! My DH and I have been married 21 yrs and we've lived in clutter the entire time. I guess I kinda ripped on him yesterday but really he doesn't complain that much. A lot of guys could really be nasty about it. He just goes with the flow most of the time. I'm really VERY lucky. As long as the bed's cleaned off so he can sleep and the food is relatively edible he doen't grouch much. I guess we all have our moments!!

But seriously-thank you so much for being there for me! I was in tears by the time I finished reading your posts!! The chances of one of us ever meeting face to face are a kazillon to one but I do consider you all friends !!

One of my favorite sayings is--If you never talk to a stranger-how do you make a friend? If you think about it-you most charished loved ones were at one time strangers--even your children!!

I'm off again for 4 days and this time I'm taking it slow and easy--one baby step at a time!!

If any of you need a shoulder (ah, monitor) to whine on--please allow me to return your kindness--email me anytime.

Please take care and until later--Happy FLYing to you all............