Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Organizing Needs hints and tips on organizing your house? Are you a clutterbug or do you pile things instead of filing things? Help out where you have succeeded or ask for help from this great group of friends!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Organizing Your Ride

The Organizing Your Ride Giveaway!

How organized is your vehicle? Do you know where your owner's manual is? How about emergency items? Do you have a blanket in your car in case of a breakdown in cold weather? How about a simple box of tissues?

Tell us how you organize the items in your vehicle, what has made things easier for you, and you may just be the winner of this great 5 Pocket Auto Organizer from FamilyCorner.com! Contest runs through February 15th at midnight PST. Post as many tips and hints as you like. U.S. and Canada may enter. If you are outside of the U.S. and Canada, you may enter but will be subject to shipping costs should you win.

Good luck and have fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Prize:View prize
Old 01-24-2003, 08:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Although my house isnt as organized as I would like , our car seems to stay pretty organized.

The owners manual as well as our insurance cards are in the glove compartment. The cards are in a small hardback cover slipped in beside the owners manual in the space provided in the compartment. We also white napkins ( which can double as paper in a real pinch), wet naps, pens and a flashlight in there too.

In the trunk we have a small box that holds jumper cables, winshield washer fluid, bungee cords and yes, a blanket. The jack for the car and a full size spare tire is there too.

When my son was born( up until he was potty trained), I kept an extra diaper bag in the trunk too. I filled it with an extra set of clothes and a jacket, a couple of diapers, wipes, a small container of dry baby formula and an extra bottle, a bottle of water, extra pacifier, small blankets and emergency food. As he got older, I had extra clothes, 2 toys that he could use in the car, wipes and blankets. I cant tell you how many times this came in handy......including one impromptu swim and 2 times when he had a stomach virus and we had quite a mess to clean up!

We also just bought a small garbage container that hooks around the back of the front car seat for my son to keep his sunglasses, hat, mittens and anything other small things that he has....this gets emptied every day at the end of our trips.

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 01-25-2003, 02:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

This is what we keep in our vehicles:

One of the small phone books in our door pockets. You can usually get them at the cellular phone companies.

Proof of insurance in the glove compartment.

Straws and napkins in the glove compartment.

An umbrella or two in the back end (SUV).

An ice scraper in the back end.

Some empty grocery bags for when shopping at Sam's in the back end.

A couple of magazines in the seat back pockets for when we are waiting.

A city map. You never know when you are going to have to find a place that you might not be familiar with.

A bottle or two of drinking water in the cup holders.

A sun shade in the back end.

A hand towel or two to wipe up spills or condensation off cups.

A small tablet of paper, a small pad of post-its, and a pen.

Some empty envelopes from the bank for the ATM or night deposit so we can get it ready ahead of time.

And of course, the most important - our cell phone!!

That's all I can think of at the moment. Kathy
Old 01-25-2003, 03:14 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Are you ready? With six of us, the van gets crowded.

In the door pockets, the entertainment book.

A box of kleenex between the seats.

Napkins and lullaby tapes in a drawer by the radio.

Spare change up there too. And a seat belt clip.

Local map, phone book in a drawer under the seat.

In an organizer behind one seat, markers, coloring books, reading books and a magazine, in case I have to wait somewhere.

I took an old soft sided lunch bag and tied it underneath the headrest to the handle. The garbage has to be somewhere that I can reach.

In the back of the van, there is a big organizer, with jumper cables, an old towel to wipe down the doors after washing the van, a big blanket, empty plastic bags for Aldi's, a spare diaper, a small hand vac that plugs into the outlet in the car.

Usually there are spare french fries somewhere too.

Oh, I forgot there is an under the bed rubbermaid container under one of the seats. I put whatever needs to be returned, such as library books, etc.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:43 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

Where to begin?

In my glove compartment, I have two maps-one of the entire state and one of the city. I also have my owner's manual with my proof of insurance in it. There are also travel-size wet ones for sticky little hands. There is also a brochure from cell phone provider that I can use to call for free towing, a free gallon of gas in emergencies, and other benefits. I keep several withdrawl and deposit slips in there in case I'm in a hurry.

On the sides of my front doors there are two pockets. I keep napkins and Kleenex in there, and a small bottle of perfume on the driver side for me just in case. :p

I have added one of those car organizers to the front under the dash that has 2 cup holders and a section for CD's. My car only came with one built-in cup holder, and I needed more so now I have 3. And I use the section for Cd's, well....for CD's!!!

On my armrest there is a section that lifts up. I put lotion in there, eye drops, and a medical emergency bag that I got from my college that has band-aids, sterilizer, tweezers (for splinters at the park!), and other great goodies. In that bag, I also add freebie medicines that I get from the internet such as Advil. They come in individual packs of two capsules, so they are great for in the car. I also have a pen and a couple sheets of scratch paper. I also have a few McDonald's toys in the lift-up compartment, because even though I don't have children, I do a lot of baby-sitting and driving for field trips at the schools I work for. There is also a little tray that fits on the top of the lift up tray that has a penny holder which is always full.

My car also has a change holder for nickels, dimes, and quarters, so I try to keep that filled too for emergencies.

I have added one of those car organizers that fits over the back of the front seat. It has a big pocket to hold magazines and books, so I always keep some in there in case I get caught waiting. I also keep ALL of my records for work that has ever been done on my car in a folder in there. These records can come in handy later, because if you are like me, I have no idea what anything is, or when it was fixed, so it is easy to look up if I need to.

I keep a Winnie the Pooh fleece blanket, and a neck pillow under the back seat for anyone that nay need it.

In the back of my Explorer, there is a side compartment that I put the net for the trunk in, and I keep bottles of water back there because you never know when you will need them. We do a lot of camping so if something gets in someone's eye it can be washed out, or for burns, or simply being thirsty! I also have two towels for drying off the car after washing it, or for sitting on at the park.

I also have a box of emergency goodies in the back....it has jumper cables, a emergency sign to put in the window if I need help and one for if I go to get gas and don't want the car towed, a tire gauge, two bottles of oil, transmission fluid, a huge container of water for the radiator, funnels to pour in the fluids, paper towels, and power steering fluid.

There is a Tupperware container in the back with teacher supplies also---there is a ton of stuff in the box...crayons, markers, scissors, glue, construction paper, books, and the list goes on.....

I also have a sunshade in the back.

The jack and thing to crank the jack up (I have no idea what it's called) are in a compartment in the back, and under the hood of the car is the long bar for lowering the tire down from under the car. I never use them, but I know where they are so my fiance can!

That's it really I guess. I really want a new organizer though. Teachers can never have enough compartments to store all their goodies.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:06 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Me too! I also have a gas can in the back in case of emergencies.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Ya'll have me beat hands down on all the emergency stuff (I have thought, 'We need this', just have not done it...lol, alot of good that does)

THe main thing I do to keep the car organized is to clean it out EVERY single time we come home. THat means all trash, cans, bottles, papers, mail, anthing that does not serve a purpose in the car gets taken out and put up where it goes.

We have the insurance and owners manual and tire gauge in the glove box, along with a bottle of gaviscon for hubbys heartburn.

WE keep the car chargers, complete with splitter, for the cell phones and kids gameboys plugged in cig liter all the time.

On the back of both seats, we have little organizers, bought at walmart for about 5 dollars each, and they are for the kids. THey hold drinks, plus a little tray that folds out to put food or whatever, plus little pockets for their toys,etc, to hold. Very good investment, keeps cokes from spilling, etc.

In the trunk is a case of bottled water, bought at discount bin, instead of paying $1 a bottle at the stop and rob convenience stores. Antifreeze and oil, too. Need to put jumper cables in.

I am putting phone books in the car, too, just gathered them up, because I found out this week that it costs $1.25 per call to information on our cell phone. Wont be doing THAT again.....lol
Be blessed and safe,
Beckie
Old 01-26-2003, 04:35 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

giveaway

My van is not clean but I do keep jumper cables, blanket, I do know where my registration, and such is.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:43 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

decluttered

I run a cleaning business. I need to be as organized as I can be with a DH and two DD's needing me to drive them to their various functions. I have resorted to buting rubbermaid totes with lids. One is filled with sleeping bags and pillows in case we get stuck somewhere, I have one filled with food(after the emergancy preparedness course I was involved in for the millenium), and I have a change of clothes for the girls. I carry recycle bins on the back seat of the van for washclothes, cleaning supplies, and for recycling. Glove box has vehicle papers, extra feminine pads, small first aid kit, gloves, and a few kids tapes if the natives get restless in the back. I love my van. I live in it more than my home sometimes. I am still trying to get the girls into the habit of taking their things out of the van when we get home right away before they pile up but there is still room for improvement there.
Old 02-01-2003, 03:43 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I keep the owners manual in the glove compartment, extra windsheild washer fluid in the trunk, the spare tire is checked regularly and there is a jack....I always have a box of tissues and I have a small flashlight but who knows if the batteries still work. I have a windshiled scraper. That is about it. Oh wait...I also have a collapsable shovle I keep in there in the winter, almost forgot.
I keep saying I will put a blanket in the car but I never seem to get around to doing it and lord knows I have extra blankets. When I am traveling to work in bad weather I put a change of clothes as well as my toiletries case in the car in case I have to stay near or at work, I do work 25 miles away. Once I was so glad I did I had to stay at a hotel since you couldn't get out of the city for the number of accidents on the roads.
I keep my parking garage card for work in a compartment under the radio along with my auto garage door opener.
Is this organized enough??/
Ruth