Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Organizing Needs hints and tips on organizing your house? Are you a clutterbug or do you pile things instead of filing things? Help out where you have succeeded or ask for help from this great group of friends!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle How I Oganize my ride

A lot depends on the trip. But for everyday I always have Hand gel and lotion and chapstick in my center console. It is so important to have hand gel. After the kids go to the park or the mall or anywhere, it is important to clean thier hands. Do you know how long hepatitis b can live on a surface? It s scary! For fun I let each child "pick " their favorite hand gel scent! Samantha likes raspberry and Rob likes honeydew melon
Christine^
Old 02-08-2003, 06:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I keep emtpy plastic bags in the car. When I stop at the gas station I fill one bag with garbage which can conveniently be thrown out and another bag with items that need to be brought in the house. I do this at least once a week and this keeps my car relatively clutter free.

I keep a bookbag for my oldest daughter filled with "busy" items, (books, arts, crafts, stuffed animals, electronic games...). It is easy to clean up any of her toys by simply placing in the bookbag or the plastic bag of "for the house" items.

For the baby I keep a spare diaper bag in the car including a bottle and formula.

For the toddler I try and keep a spare set of shoes and socks in the car since she always takes her shoes off and it is difficult to find all four shoes and socks in a rush,

I keep a roll of papertowels and windex in the front in the storage drawer under the seat and I am always ready for a quick clean after straightening up.

Last edited by misaacmom; 02-09-2003 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:26 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I keep a blanket in the trunk. In the back floorboard, I have a basket that I keep all of the things that we need (toys, colors, coloring books, tissues, wipes, etc). This really keeps my car from being junky because everything goes in the basket!
Old 02-09-2003, 08:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Keep the car organized tip

I'm a retired teacher and now both substitute-teach and tutor, so I keep a lot of frequently-used materials in the car----don't have to schlep them in and out of the house that way! One thing I use everytime I'm in the car is the hard plastic small wastebasket sitting on the floor behind the passenger seat----I place used tissues and wrappings, etc. that have no where else to go and I empty it weekly. Another invaluable tip for me is a small chalkboard next to the kitchen door which briefly lists all the things I want to be sure I have with me: purse, waterbottle, lunch, keys, sub folder, etc., etc.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:58 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Glove compartment: Manual, insurance/registration, map of Michigan, small first aid kit, straws and napkins, container of antibacterial wet wipes

Console: box of tissues, umbrella, emergency ponchos(for kids), a few dollars and change for pay phone, mini flashlight

Backseat: old baby wipe box with crayons, paper, small books, and some travel-games

Trunk: Rubbermaid box with basic tool kit, flashlight, jumper cables, antifreeze, oil, windshield washer fluid, old shower curtain to lay on, fix-a-flat, and an air pump that hooks into my lighter. In another box I have three blankets, two gallons of water, a larger first aid kit(includes snake-bite and bee-sting), airtight food packs. In winter I toss in extra gloves and hats and scarves. There's also the spare tire and jack(in the bottom, under the "floor"), a small gas can, a folding shovel, and in the winter, a bag of sand in case I get stuck.

In small pouch next to driver's seat(sshh)--a small but very sharp hunting knife.(We have to travel thru a prison area to visit my mom--it makes me feel a lot safer to know I can defend my kids if neccessary!).

I do have some small trash bags(scented, no less lol!) but usually we just toss our trash into the bag it came out of and pitch it at a gas station.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:56 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

If you have kids then get each of them their own organizer for the car. They make organizers that hang over the backseat of the car that have several different compartments to them. This way each child has their own space and are in charge of keeping it neat. You can also use small tupperware totes to have the children store their belongings. You may even want to keep a spare tote with emergency activities for the kids to do in case they get out of control such as cassette tapes, walkmans and headphones for each kid (they are really cheap), Color Wonder markers and paper (the ones that can only write on the special paper so it won't make a mess in the car), car games, etc.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:45 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Let's see..... In my ride there's:

In the glove box:
A flashlight
A tablet and two pens
A Tire gauge
Paper work (Owner's manual, service manual, Travel Consents to allow our foster children to ride with us, etc.)
Gloves
Extra sunglasses
Baby wipes
Windex window wipes
Gum
Napkins
Straws
A few plastic utensils in plastic wrap

In "cubby holes" throught van:
Tissues
Change
CDs
Hand lotion
Map/Atlas
Bible
Air freshner
scraper/brush

Compartment under passenger's seat:
My husbands harmonicas

In the back of the van:
A small rubbermade container with emergency supplies inside:
Window defroster spray, gloves, hat, scarf, granola bars, first aid kit, blanket, etc.

A small garbage can sits alone. I keep a small address/phone book in my purse.

I think that about sums it up. I may have forgotten one or two things but this is the most of it.

Old 02-11-2003, 06:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Driving in Las Vegas

Being in Las Vegas, you don't have to have much for emergencies. However, we do travel a lot to California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Minnesota throughout the year, so here it goes.

In my door compartments I have my trash liners, easy to take out to throw away as I leave my car. My sun shades are stuffed in a little spot on the left side of my driver's door. I have a city map stuck between the passenger chair and the driver's controls. In my ashtray I have coins and some small bills. Under my radio I have a little slot where I keep my garage door opener.

In my glove compartment I have: owner's manual, napkins, start card for my radio when the battery gets replaced, insurance and registration, bank deposit ATM envelopes, pens and pencils, a small memo pad with improtant phone numbers for emergencies. On my rearview mirror I have my Scooby air freshner. ALways plugged into the cigarette lighter is a phone charger for my cellphone.

On the floor, behind the passenger seat, I have a humungo box of tissues. Behind the driver's seat, I have my daughter's bucket with shovels, rake, and small Bob the Builder machine figures, a playground ball, and a small backpack with small toys and books for the road. In the back window I have a screen up, to block sun off of my daughter's head. On that shelf, I have a box of those Bibsters, large and small, for my daughter and my infant nephew. I also have a visor for me and an umbrella for rain. One car seat in the back seat with 2 balnkets, one for my daughter and one for adults.

For the trunk: brake fluid, window wash fluid, 2 quarts of oil, antifreeze/coolant, power steering fluid, a gallon of water, WD40, an emergency kit (crackers, cookies, fruit cups, small water bottles, all replaced when expired), a set jumper cables, spare tire with jack and crowbar, stroller, Kidnapper for my daughter (like a sleeping bag), Extra complete pair of clothes for all of us, plastic bags, a small tool set

And would you believe that I still have plenty of room in my trunk? I drive a Daewoo Lanos, by the way!
Old 02-15-2003, 06:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow! There are some great organized ladies on here! I have been taking notes reading all the posts here. I definitely need to update my vehicles. We have 3 and I bet not one of them is fully equipped. We have 3 little girls that are very active and like entertainment while we are driving.

I'll work on getting us to the point a lot of you are! Thanks!

mommy to
Maria - 7
Monica - 5
Megan - 3
~~~~~~~
Old 02-16-2003, 07:47 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I got a blanket for each car on friday...a store I frequent had fleece throws on sale for $4.99. I got 3 one for each car. Now I need to work on the other things but I have not figured a way for flashlights not to die so quickly in the car. Anyone have ideas?
Ruth

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!