Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Organizing Needs hints and tips on organizing your house? Are you a clutterbug or do you pile things instead of filing things? Help out where you have succeeded or ask for help from this great group of friends!

Old 11-23-2002, 09:50 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Organizing ds's LEGOS

As my ds gets more and more specialized Legos, I am finding it harder to keep them organized. We have a large container for them, but each set has so many small pieces pertinent to that particular set. Any ideas on how to keep them grouped or organized by set without having a million little boxes all over the place?

TIA!

Blessings,

Angela
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace." Numbers 6:24-26
Old 12-20-2002, 08:34 PM
Assistant Moderator

Hi Angela
I hve 2 sons who like their Lego. We put the common building ones etc in big a plastic stackable tub that has the click on lids. We have a star wars mindstorms set and we usually keep that one in it's box but we have the small fishing tackle/craft containers with the snug fit lid and the dividers already in it for the smaller pieces and these stack inside the bigger stackable ones. I also keep the 'how to make sheets' in a plastic sleeve folder, opened up, for easy viewing and they don't tear easily.

We did find out something useful from the lady at toyworld here, that if you glue a piece of plyboard onto the bottom of a lego baseplate, the ones they make their cities on, the lego boards don't snap or break easily, ours is 11yrs old now and not a crack.

I hope I have described these ok, I realise things aren't given the same names overseas and I don't wish to confuse you more.
Old 12-21-2002, 03:13 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Bilby,

Thanks so much for your reply! Your ideas are great! The tackle box is a super idea.

I was on e-bay recently and discovered a neat organizer. It is four stackable shallow bins. You pour all the Legos into the top and gently shake the stack of bins. Because each bin has different size openings in the bottom the Legos are automatically sifted into the correct box. I haven't ordered one, but I thought that was a pretty cool idea.

Keeping the sets seperated is the biggest problem we seem to have. I bought small, clear boxes for individual sets, but the boys like to mix parts from different sets when creating things. Then when they want to make the original one they have trouble finding the pieces. Ds #1 is getting another large set from Santa for Christmas!

Blessings,

Angela
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace." Numbers 6:24-26
Old 12-21-2002, 07:01 PM
Assistant Moderator

Hi Angela
I really like the sound of those shaker containers, what a nifty idea!
We don't seem to have a problem mixing the different sets of legos, we always manage to find what we need and if something specific is wanted we tell each other to be on the look out for.......... but I must say that the technics are separated into a different box.
After all those years of legos K-nex had to be invented and there was another set of small bits and pieces to look out for!
Have you ever got up to the kids during the night in the dark and found, purely by chance, that one lego you could not find earlier only because you have stepped on it and went aaaaaarg! So much for being quiet! .......... or is that just me?
Old 12-21-2002, 07:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle He he he!

I got a chuckle out of that mental picture Bilby! It does seem that no matter how we try, those little pieces seem to find their way into some strange places!

Legos are such a wonderfully creative thing. They are the one toy that is played with the most in our home. Ds #1 just got Lego Creator on the computer and is now creating things that way as well. It's a really neat program. We are going to take the boys to Legoland in California when we go on vacation in March. That will be really fun!

Blessings for a wonderful holiday. May your floor not be littered with too many small pieces!
Old 12-21-2002, 08:32 PM
Assistant Moderator

Hi Angela
Wow, a real legoland now that would be cool, your kids would be really excited, just don't say it too loud or my 2 may hear you and want to go too!
...........I think we have just a little too much distance to cover for that!

Last edited by Bilby; 12-30-2002 at 04:00 AM.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:24 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

They will be excited. It is one of their gifts for Christmas so they don't know yet. Yes, you do have a bit too much ground to cover for that trip! Maybe some day! In the meantime, enjoy your children and their Legos. They grow up all to quickly.
Old 12-29-2002, 08:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Angela, I have an eight-year-old son. My advice is "give up now, don't even try organizing his Legos"!!!
Old 12-30-2002, 03:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I use zip lock bags in different sizes, one for each model, and keep them all in a big container. It's working so far!

Kiss,

Fatima

fatima

"Stones in my path, I pick them all up: one day, I'm going to build a castle!" - Fernando Pessoa, (portuguese poet)
Old 12-30-2002, 04:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Organizing Leggos

Hi Angela in ID. I have 4 boys who love leggos. We keep them all in a med/larg rubbermaid container and keep the directions to the building sets seperate. They may have to dig a little to find certain pieces but they always seem to add to or take away from the design. It helps them with creativity.

My one son (15) built a big speed boat, a helicopter and has a full soccer set built. They just stay built. The younger children keep theirs a while and finally tear them apart and do other things.

They get the most pleasure out of building with the free leggos. -Sometimes they build cars and pretend to race, sometimes they build a neighborhood where they live. I think it's good for them.

Everyone has good ideas on how to store leggos. A neighbor had a box with little drawers that you usually put different screws and bolts into. He used this to seperate his leggos by color and piece.

GOD BLESS!