FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Organizing (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/organizing/)
-   -   Lost the Desire to Declutter-NEED HELP!!! (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/organizing/23740-lost-desire-declutter-need-help.html)

leasmom 09-05-2008 10:35 AM

Lost the Desire to Declutter-NEED HELP!!!

I used to declutter constantly but now I feel like I'm drowning in it. Everywhere I look there is clutter. Its a lived in look but it drives me crazy and I can't seem to get a handle on it. I throw things out and nothing seems to change, I even had a free sale on freecycle and I still have stuff. I got rid of extra clothes, it doesn't seem like we did. We have a small house and the problem is every where. I need help, support...anything...

bluebird 12-28-2008 04:51 PM

Have you tried flylady?

Bernice 12-28-2008 07:11 PM

[quote=leasmom]I used to declutter constantly but now I feel like I'm drowning in it. Everywhere I look there is clutter. Its a lived in look but it drives me crazy and I can't seem to get a handle on it. I throw things out and nothing seems to change.

I must admitt that there are so many times I am like you Leasmom. My Dear Family are pack rats........the paper the gift including the boxes clutter my house. I go through several times and clean it out.

I am currently on strike. My DH actually did his own laundry, because I wouldn't. If it doesn't make the hamper, then I'm not washing it. If I didn't take it out, I am not putting it up.

I going to try to hold out, so they realize that it is their mess. DD wants to have friends in this week, so I am guessing that things will get done.

I am a bit selfish here, but when you say the same things everyday to pick up, put away, clean up it gets old fast, especially when it falls on deaf ears. Two days and counting.

danstigerangel 12-28-2008 08:11 PM

Stick with it Bernice. You are doing the right thing.

I do my wash and dh. My ds has to do his own. He is 18 but he has been doing wash since 16. There are so many chores that kids don't do anymore!

Bernice 12-29-2008 08:49 PM

Well today was the day. The house got picked up.....DD got it done, but had to stay on DS while I was at work.

DS said that DD was just like me....imagine that!

Going to loose some of DH's collection of old mags and junk mail, he just doesn't know it yet. ha ha ha

Sammi1961 01-02-2009 02:05 PM

Bernice, good for you for going on strike! I have done that before and it does work though it often takes my family awhile to notice. Unfortunately, I run a daycare out of my home so do have to have some standards so going on strike is out for me at the moment. Like you, my family are packrats. As much as I get rid of, they bring more stuff home and fill any empty space available. I clean off a table or something and the next thing I know dh has piles stuff on it. Seems like a never ending battle. (and yup. i throw away my dh's junk mail when he isn't looking too!)

Leasmom, I need to declutter too and it is very hard to stay motivated. What about tackling one small space at a time (a drawer, a corner, a closet). That's my goal for this year - to get decluttered. And if my family won't cooperate, I can at least take care of my own things.

mowire 01-03-2009 05:33 AM

leasmon!!!I am glad I am not the only one.. lots of people in same boat!!!! lol I have been trying to declutter too!! only me tho...and yes on laundry too!!! you think after awhile they would WANT their clothes washed or something!! I have a problem with decluttering my mail and bills etc.It sits on my kitchen table!!! and dont know how to get rid of. :( good luck ladies!!!!!

Sammi1961 01-03-2009 06:08 AM

Mowire, bills and paper clutter on the kitchen table are a big thing for me too. I keep trying not to pile things there but I don' t have a desk or anyplace else to put things and I can't always deal with everything all at once and before I know it there is a pile. I really need a good solution for that so am going to have to think about it.

crazy4cooking 01-03-2009 08:29 AM

piles of clutter

I also have the same problem throughout the house. I tend to keep lots of paper items such as business cards, magazines, receipts, catalogs, etc. I'm afraid if I throw them away I will need the info. since some of it is related to my home based business. It piles up so high, and then I transport it to my spare room and stick everything in a box. It is so out of control it is making me stress because I know I now have to go through all those boxes. And I know that I will want to keep most of it. How do I solve this problem?

Thanks,
Cathy

RobertaD 01-03-2009 08:56 AM

I read a tip on sorting your mail which has really helped me not get it piled up. When you bring your mail into the house sort it standing over a trash can, the crap mail goes directly into the trash so it doesn't pile up. You don't need to look at the catalogs you didn't ask to be mailed, you don't need to look at the join our company mailing, etc. just toss it right away.

Roberta