FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Organizing (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/organizing/)
-   -   Lost the Desire to Declutter-NEED HELP!!! (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/organizing/23740-lost-desire-declutter-need-help.html)

bluebird 01-03-2009 09:08 AM

I am a paper patrat too...... I don't know why..... Years ago I was much better so I think stress had something to do with it. I plan to get it under control this year!

Remember to shred all papers with person infomation on it!

VicRae 01-03-2009 02:21 PM

With my old bills and check statements I want to save. I take all the papers from one place; such as, the bank, out of the envelopes and only the parts that are important to keep gets laid together in a pile and placed back into one envelope. Then I throw out all of the rest of the envelopes and junk ads into the trash can. Then those envelopes I want to keep gets put into a shoe box marked with the year or dates of the bills on the outside of the boxes.

My husband just got a few file cabinets from where he works at and I have stored my patterns and some of my sewing supplies and other stuff for the grandkids to play with in the drawers. These had the racks for hanging files inside when I got them. So, I took apart the hangers and laid them down on the bottom of the drawers before filling them. So, when I want to use the cabinets for other things and need the file hangers again I will still have them.

Lisa Berry 01-06-2009 10:05 AM

:dink:I as well have a cluttered home. I pick up daily. Most days you can't tell. My 58 yr DH is a only child who never wanted for anything and doesn't know the meaning of no but he 's the worst at "stuff" collections. His area in living room is always growing... I have given hundreds (not kiddin) of books to library and can not tell. If I trash anything he pulls it from bin saying "I can sell that at yardsale". Asked when...hmmm... in spring :hahaha: . My 2 oldest G-20, B-18 want to move because of clutter and resulting tension 'tween us. I AM NOT nor ever will be neat freak but narrow passages thru basement and every surface in rest od house and various out buildings is too, too much. In office for our home business i use shredder daily on junk mail and it helps a bit. Overall I'm exhausted :(

Sammi1961 01-06-2009 11:33 AM

Lisa, my dh is a packrat too. You cannot imagine how many stacks, bins and bookcases we have of books and yet he keeps buying more. If I have a book and truly love it and will read it again, i keep it. If it is a book I have read, liked but know I won't read it again it is passed on to someone else or some other place. If I clear a space (declutter) my dh will pile things there. It is a constant battle. and speaking of basements, ours is a scary place - so full of stuff there are only narrow passageways around. I am not giving up the battle, though. I will admit, that my dream is to live someplace empty, clean and quiet with only the things that are necessary and that I love. It may just have to stay a dream though.

megrayau 01-06-2009 03:20 PM

What if you put something pretty i the decluttered spot. Ok It might be an odd place for a vase or ornament, but at least it won't be empty. Then when you have a few and they have not been messed up( 2 or 3 months) move the objext but ask that it not become a messy place! Just a thought.
I bought some plastic file boxes like this one but half the width, and we keep it under the desk. Every month has a file and anything we will need for tax or to keep goes in that months folder. It seems to be working a bit! Still need to tame the paper monster!
We have also run out of computer ink. This is helping as nothing is getting printed!! (There is an obvious downside and I will get more ink tomorrow!)

ellenmelon 01-07-2009 06:29 AM

Yes it is getting hard for me too. Here are two things that help me>

1. Get a large plastic bin with a lid and put the clothes you haven't worn in a year in it and lug it to the back porch or garage. If you need anything it will be there but not in your house.

2. Set a timer for 20 minutes and put on your running shoes. Put your hands on something in the house that doesn't belong where it is and then hustle it to the room it should be in. In that new room you will place your hand on something that shouldn't be there and hustle it to the right room. Keep doing this until the timer dings. I call it the star pattern method of tidying up because I zing from one point in the house to another as if I were making a five pointed star.

VicRae 01-07-2009 07:37 AM

Just wanted to share this article I found on how to start decluttering spaces

http://www.rightathome.com/view.aspx?pid=722

Hope this might help some.

Vicky

RobertaD 08-18-2009 02:15 PM

Help the clutter has fallen and I can't get up!!!!!

Roberta

tree3branches 08-19-2009 06:10 AM

Here grab my hand and I pull you up. lean on us and now just do a little at a time, It will get done.
Tree:)

RobertaD 01-09-2010 12:18 PM

I plan on deep cleaning and declutting one room a month this year so my house will be in shape by the end of the year and hopfully will make some extra money selling what we no longer need.

Roberta