chip bags, snacks, etc

• Hi Sherri!

I have a question about snack foods. I buy big bags of chips, we buy bagged cereal, and of course other snacks like pretzels and granola bars. I try to put them in plastic containers but they always manage to get disheaveled again.

Do you have any suggestions for clearing up the pantry and getting snack foods organized in a way that the kids can find what they want and keep it fairly neat?
  • Cupboards for Kids
    Hi Amanda,

When me moved into our current home, the main thing I did to try to keep my cupboards organized is to give the kids their own cupboard! :-)

It held their most reached for foods - mainly snacks and cereals and also plastic bowls and cups they could use.

It did not always stay neat, but I rarely went into it so it didn't bug me too bad!

Sherri
    http://familycrafts.about.com
  • That would be great, but we keep all of our food in our pantry, I have limited cabinet space. Do you have any suggestions for ways to organize all the open snacks? I definitely like the idea of keeping them at their level.
  • Hmmm... I guess then what I would do is group the bags together in small, colorful baskets... They could be grouped by type, meal, or even child.

Another thought, perhaps a little funner, string some clotheslines across or even down a wall and use clothespins to clip the bags of food onto the clothesline. Heck, you could even use craft supplies and decorate the clothespins!
  • I'm lucky I'm blessed with lots of cupboard space in my kitchen and pantry.
    I found that keeping to the same sized contiaenrs a good way to keep it organised.
    Not to say that the kids don't make a mess but it's generally 1 shelf

Now if you have a great idea for getting them to close all 4 corners on a container to stop things getting stale, please share LOL
  • Quote: Hmmm... I guess then what I would do is group the bags together in small, colorful baskets...
    This might work, especially if I were to make individual bags and put them in the baskets, then they wouldn't be able to grab the whole big bag and overeat.

Kathy, I totally know what you are saying about the four corners on the plastic containers LOL!
  • Quote: Now if you have a great idea for getting them to close all 4 corners on a container to stop things getting stale, please share LOL
    That is why I said baskets instead of bins... Of course, that doesn't help if the item needs to be sealed to stay fresh. :-)