Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Organizing Needs hints and tips on organizing your house? Are you a clutterbug or do you pile things instead of filing things? Help out where you have succeeded or ask for help from this great group of friends!

Old 04-28-2004, 08:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

organizational lists......

Are you a listmaker or do it as you think of it (or have time) type person?

I am a listmaker but sometimes I have to remind myself I am ONE person when I get carried away with my list and there is absolutely no way I could ever get everything done that I write down. And when I can't get everything done, I get discouraged.
I am very organized in my MIND but sometimes I think my mind thinks I am Superwoman!! NOT!!! My mind also forgets that I need a lot of sleep!!!

hugs,train
Old 04-29-2004, 08:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Re: organizational lists......

Quote:
Originally posted by trainlady

I am very organized in my MIND but sometimes I think my mind thinks I am Superwoman!! NOT!!! My mind also forgets that I need a lot of sleep!!!

You have described me perfectly!! Im very organized in my mind but a lot of the times it just doesnt make it past there, LOL!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 04-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I am a list maker! I'm afraid, I come by it genetically. You have never seen anyone with more lists than my Dad. He has a list for everything!

My problem is that I can make a wonderful, detailed list and then I leave it at home, when I need to take it with me! I am VERY good at this! LOL!

Happy Organizing,
Jenna
Old 05-02-2004, 03:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hey there, ajrsmom, So, we are twins, huh!!

Don't you just hate when you beat yourself up for not getting EVERYTHING done on your list ( OR, the list in your mind!!!) when , in fact, you really HAVE accomplished a lot on any given day!! I just don't give myself enough credit!! And I really DO need a lot of sleep. I think that comes from not having any children and just being used to sleeping long hours. I have all my life.
Maybe you and I need to get rid of our "To Do" lists and start a "What We Did" list!!"

hugs,train
Old 05-09-2004, 09:21 AM
kellyandkids

The funny thing is at the end of the day discovering that we did so many things not on our lists.

But if it straightens out the tangled threads of my mind, I will keep writing things down. Even if I never take the list to the store with me.

Helps me sleep to transfer the mess of my mind to a scheduler date book - the kid with just lines and not times.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

chuckle Lists are sanity savers!

I am SO glad to know there are others who do lists. My family has teased me for years about my lists ~ when it gets really bad, I get teased about having "a list of the lists." Everything I do is by lists, including a running daily list that stretches out sometimes to a month ahead. I even have a notebook for my lists with divider sections that probably borders on the edge of compulsive.

That being said, I find my lists a comfort. Everything is on that list, and although I don't get them all done, I can move them to another day or even another week. Very little sneaks by me and I rarely come up short on anything I am in charge of or need to head up to get done.

Listmakers, know that you are the one who organizes everyone else in your family! Family members who need to know where something is or recall some obscure fact ~ they will come to you! Those of us who maintain lists are, for the most part, very organized, multi-taking people who rarely lose anything or forget something.

Sandie
Old 05-09-2004, 06:43 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

lists

I definitely feel that my list-making habits keep me organized! As soon as I think of something that I need to remember, I'm looking for a piece of paper to write it down on. If I don't, I'll forget it then it bothers me greatly because I know there was something I was supposed to remember....but just can't.
It may be a habit, or borderline compulsion...but it is useful! And I look at it as a checklist--I cross off things as I get them done and it makes me feel that I'm really accomplishing something.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:38 AM
Head Moderator

I keep a clip board on the dining room table and my hubby and I both add to it whenever we think of something that needs to get done or bought when we go to the city. We live 30 miles from any shopping and 60 from the BIG CITY so we only make the trip about every two weeks. Having that lists is important since we have so far to go. It also helps us remember what we want to get done. My husband has dementia so his memory isn't always good so it is very important for him and I just sort of learned that it helps me too! If we get a page full and we don't finish I just rewrite the "undone" things on a new page and we start over. SO YEAH for lists! We couldn't get by without them!

Old 05-10-2004, 08:41 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have been keeping lists and relying on my calendar for everything the last few years. I couldn't function without them!

I make a list every evening for the next day in a note book. I have one section for things that NEED to be done that day, list of groceries and errands I need to do ( I even have to write down why I am going somewhere- or I sometimes wonder why I went to the store!!!)

Another section of for stuff that needs to get done, but don't worry if I don't do it all today.

The calendar keeps me posted on current events.

I think I sometimes have tooo much on my plate, but believe it or not, I think that is what keeps me sane. Idle minds are depressed minds. hehhe

Wildflower
Old 05-10-2004, 10:17 AM
kellyandkids

One nice thing to do for yourself, is find those rare days on the calendar that you are not compelled to leave home and circle that space. I tell me kids, see, that is my stay home day. I find only 4 of those a month but they help make the margin that keeps us all sane.

If we are stay at home moms, why aren't we ever home???

A friend has 2 of 4 kids working with no other drivers - yet. She has found that very little homeschooling can get done when you are constantly driving in circles. (And she teases me about my lists.)

Oh - a tragedy - my date book was soaked in a long story that I won't tell here. But I felt my brain was soggy for 2 week while I waited for all the papers to dry. I use a 3 ring binder to keep all the lists for all the family members and the 4H club and all that. Much less the wet calendar and permission and entry forms. The binder is fine but the colored tab dividers are sad and wrinkly despite the pile of books on top while they dried.

Claim your quiet spaces and travel at a slower pace on those days. Even half days of 'open choice' let you breathe more calmly.