FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Once A Month Cooking (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/once-month-cooking/)
-   -   What CAN'T be frozen?? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/once-month-cooking/3637-what-cant-frozen.html)

wife7011 08-27-2002 07:46 PM

What CAN'T be frozen??

Hi. I'm new to this board, and to the idea of OAMC altogether. I was wondering, what are some foods that cannot be frozen, or that will taste badly if they are? I was thinking of freezing a cake, but I was worried that it'll be soggy when it thaws. And I'm looking for any tips on OAMC (it'll be more like every 2 weeks for me).

Thanks in advance!!

Amie

MrsRoseofShara 08-28-2002 03:49 AM

I've been reading up on OAMC but have so far been too scared to try it. ::-):: I think I'm going to start really small. I was thinking that this weekend I'd make spagetti and chili at the same time and freeze the chili. That way I can make the shared ingredients at the same time and pop the chili in the crockpot while I make the sauce on the stove. I guess the thing to do would be to make a large batch of spagetti sauce and freeze half. Wish me luck! ::-)::

:cat:

kimmyo 08-28-2002 04:12 AM

Cakes actually freeze really well! So do cookies, bread, muffins etc...I think that starting small is a great idea. I don't do OAMC I do small batches at a time. I try to keep easy meals available in the freezer for those nights I have to work late so the kids can grab somthing quick. Some of the things I keep on hand in my freezer are:

meatloaf
Taco meat
chili
Hot Pockets
cookies
chimichangas
BBQ meat

:)

MrsRoseofShara 08-28-2002 04:17 AM

Actually, meatloaf is a good idea. That has shared ingredients with the chili and spagetti sauce too. So, do I bake the meatloaf before I freeze it or just mix it up and freeze it ready to bake? :confused:

kimmyo 08-28-2002 11:29 AM

I just mix my meatloaf together and pop it into a loaf pan and freeze it. Then I take it out when we want to eat meat loaf, thaw, pour ketchup on top and bake. I have baked it right from the freezer, but it took too long and wasted too much energy . I have made little meatloafs too for those nights when there are just a few of us eating.:)

MrsRoseofShara 08-28-2002 01:04 PM

Thanks Kimmyo, I'll try it. :cat:

KLF 08-29-2002 01:00 PM

One thing that has been good is making the filling I would use for chicken potpie and then mixing all of the ingredients and freezing in ziplock baggies. I just get the bag out, let it thaw in the refrigerator and then cut the corne off and pipe the stuff into refrigerated biscuits then bake. They're great. Also tried making meatloaf and freezing and it's good too.

MrsRoseofShara 08-30-2002 04:15 AM

I would love the recipe for the chicken pot pie filling if you wouldn't mind. That sounds interesting. Okay a dumb question... how do you pipe it into the biscuit dough? I get the cut the corner off but how do you get it inside the dough?:confused:

dawny75 08-30-2002 06:23 AM

It's been my experience that things with mayonaise don't freeze well. Anybody else find this to be true? Could be my taste buds.

KLF 08-30-2002 10:18 AM

chicken pot pie filling

Well I just take a couple or just one chicken breast and place them in boiling water for 30 minutes. Then remove and let them cool before I shred them into little pieces. Then I use cut up brocoli ( use any vegetable) and boil it in the broth from the chicken or just use canned chicken broth.(1 cup) Once boiling simmer on low heat for 10 mins or however long you like for tenderness. Remove veggies and leave broth in pan. Blend 1/3 cup flour with 3/4 cup half and half in a small bowl with a fork. Gradually stir this into the broth in saucepan until smooth and then stir in another cup of half and half. Over low heat cook stirring constantly until the sauce is thickened. Then just stir in the veggies and shredded chicken and mix.

As for piping it into the biscuits. I use store bought refrigerated biscuits ( frankly I'm too lazy to make my own yet:-D ) I divide the mix into little ziplock bags for freezing ( however much you think you need for the amount of biscuits you want). I cut one corner off the bag and slit open the side of the biscuit and open it like a pocket and squeeze in the mix, then I pinch the seems to close. Follow the baking instructions on the biscuit container and you have a great easy meal............ just add a side.:) I just freeze the bags and when I want them, I take them out in the morning and thaw in the refrigerator. Hope this is understandable.