Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Once A Month Cooking Whether you cook for a month or just double your dinners, this is the place to share ideas.

Old 07-02-2006, 06:21 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Cheese actually freezes very well, if you will be cooking/making fondue with it. IT willnot be as good, for, say, cold sandwiches. I keep all of my shredded cheese in the freezer. Then, when I need a handful for a hot recipe, it is always there and fresh! I do freeze things such as bologna. If after thawing, it just doesn't "look right", I recommend frying it. By frying, I do not mean adding oil. The meat has enough fat in it already. Fried bologna or hot ham and cheese sandwiches are really good!
Old 07-02-2006, 06:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I do the bell peppers as well. during the cooler months, I make a lot of homemade pizzas. My kids are not big pepper eaters, but will eat them on pizzas. I especially like the color of the red, orange, and yellow varieties. I either dice, cut into strips, halves, quarters, or make into cups for stuffed peppers. Another plus to this- stuffed peppers and pizza can both be vegetarian dishes!
Old 07-02-2006, 06:28 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

With veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower, or green beans (or other vegs), I like to steam them in my steamer, cool in colander, and then pop into a freezer bag, and into freezer. This is especially good when you get an excellent deal, which often happens when the store gets too much produce, or the veggie stand is about to close and doesn't want to pack up everything. The prices are often outrageously low! Then, you have wonderful veggies year round!
Old 09-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I wanted to post this tip for those who might have a chest type freezer. I have one and it is difficult to dig through all the food to find out what I have. So, I purchased a small marker board and put it on the wall near the freezer. I list everything in the freezer. For example, I have hamburger in 1 pound packages. If I have 5 packages, I will write 5 ground beef. I separate items by classification. For example, I put meats in one section, veggies in another, casseroles in another, and everything else in the last. When you pull out an item, you can take a paper towel and erase that item or change the amount you have left. If you add items, you can write it in that section.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 01-17-2015, 05:48 AM
Head Moderator

Anyone making and freezing meals ready to just pop in the oven?

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 07-24-2015, 04:01 PM
Assistant Moderator

I freeze cake all the time, you just have to make sure if it has fruit that you defrost it at room temp because the moisture in the fruit, apples/cherries/pineapple etc need room defrosting over microwave defrosting.
I bake a cake, cut in half. We eat half then I slice what's left and pop in a freezer safe click clack container. When hubby goes off to work I just grab a slice of my different cakes for his lunch box and off he goes.

I freeze, bread and bread rolls.
Cakes and most slices.
Biscuit (for us U.S Cookies) baked and in dough form.
Pancakes and fritters, cooked.
Leftover spaghetti sauce (I don't freeze pasta I don't like it reheated)
Casseroles, crock pot.
Hot dog sausages, bacon, cooked sliced ham/turkey/beef.
Muffins.
Leftover pizza slices.

Basically if you see it in the freezer at the grocery store you can freeze it yourself when you bake your own.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:16 AM
Nine Year Member

I found pre-sliced cheese freezes okay for sandwiches later but a brick of frozen cheese will tend to crumble when trying to slice. When I buy it I keep 4 slices out and freeze the other 4 slices so they don't end up molding before we use them.

Roberta
Old 07-25-2015, 12:00 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I freeze mushrooms also, as long as they are either sliced, or diced in the food processor. I use the sliced ones in soups/stews and the diced ones I add to meatloaf or burgers to stretch the meat. You can't tell there is any difference and the texture is just the same as the meat. I can get 1 lb of sliced mushrooms at one produce place the for the price of 8 oz. at another or the grocery store. That way I can use 1/2 for the recipe I am buying them for and save half for a rainy day when I can't get out to the store for more fresh.

Norma
Old 07-25-2015, 07:23 PM
Assistant Moderator

Roberta I grate my block of cheese in the food processor and then freeze in a zip lock bag. It's easy then to just take out what you need and defrosts quickly.

I saw frozen sliced onions in the shop freezer and decided to slice my own and freeze but I didn't like how they turned out but were ok for casseroles etc.

Capsicums freeze ok fresh chopped but they are also a food I use for casseroles or to bake I don' think they are nice in a salad.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:31 PM
Nine Year Member

I agree frozen onions and bell peppers need to be in a cooked dish, they don't look the prettiest when thawed.

I think the cheese "crumbles" you can buy are a huge joke on the consumers. Freeze that $1.99 8oz block of cheese and crumble it yourself when needed!

Roberta