Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Once A Month Cooking Whether you cook for a month or just double your dinners, this is the place to share ideas.

Old 05-10-2003, 06:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Rice freezes well. I've not used it in a casserole, but I'm sure it does well as I've heard of others using it in casseroles. When I heat up frozen rice in the microwaveI add about 1 t. water. I also cover the dish with a coffee filter, no splatters.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

OAMC article

The September issue of Family Fun magazine has an article about OAMC. The author recommends getting your kids involved. Anybody see that yet? dawny
Old 08-02-2003, 04:55 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Blondie,

That is a great idea about the coffee filter. It doesn't get wet and fall into the food though?

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa
Old 05-09-2004, 03:58 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

OAMC - biscuits?

The chicken in biscuit recipe - I'm not sure what biscuits are. In Australia, a biscuit is what you call a cookie. I've heard American biscuits are like english scones (which are made with self-raising flour, rubbed-in butter, a little milk and egg to bind). Is that the sort of thing I should use? They sound very nice. Alternatively I could make a pizza dough in the breadmaker and make hot-pockets with the chicken filling.

I've often found that stuff in my freezer (even store bought) gets freezer burn. Perhaps I have the temp too low or high?

I haven't had much success with freezing so far, as I use a lot of veggies and find that the texture is often unpleasant after freezing (mushrooms go rubbery, peppers go soggy) but I really like some of the ideas for things like icecube herbs and chopped onions.

cheers
E.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Euripides, You are right about our biscuits. I think they are a little different that scones, but not cookies. I don't have a recipe. I pop them out of a can or use a mix.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

biscuit recipe

I've just done a quick search on the net and the recipes sound just like scone mix. (flour with baking powder - basically the same as self-raising flour, with shortening and milk. Perhaps I should use lard rather than butter? - I don't use vegetable shortening, that stuff is really bad for you)
I can't imagine using canned dough. Strange. Its so easy to make.
I guess it's what you are used to.

cheers
E.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:31 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

This is what I use, and I don't sift the flour, either. I just stir in the salt and baking powder with a fork.They are really good.
Sweet Milk Biscuits
Sift Together
2 Cups sifted flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
Pour into measuring cup (but don't stir together)
1/3 cup cooking (salad) oil
2/3 cup milk

Then pour all at once into the flour. Stir with a fork until mixture cleans sides of bowl and rounds up into a ball.Place on waxed paper.( For rolled or patted biscuits, smooth by kneading about ten times without additional flour.) Lift the paper by one corner, fold in dough in half, and press down firmly, and pull paper back. With the dough on waxed paper, press out 1/4 to 1/2" thick with hands, or roll out between waxed papers.
The key is to not over mix or knead them. The less handling you do, the better.

Cut with unfloured biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake until golden brown. Serve piping hot with rich creamy butter!

Temperature: 450 (very hot oven).
Time: Bake 10 to 12 minutes.

The reasons foods get freezer burned are either that your freezer is not cold enough, or you are using a self defrosting freezer that cycles on and off, or you don't have them wrapped in something that is airtight enough and moisture resistant.
Foods need to be wrapped tightly, removing as much air as possible.

Mushrooms need to be cooked prior to freezing. The best way is to saute in some butter or margarine first. Then pack into freezer containers, ziploc bags, or even small glasss jars.
Peppers are normally just diced and frozen. They will not be like fresh, but used in dishes that are to be cooked. You can dice them,place on baking sheets in a layer, freeze, then wrap and freeze for long time storage.

Perhaps this site will help you:
http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplo...nut/gh1505.htm

Cooked rice can be stored in the refrigerator for five to seven days and in the freezer for two months. When freezing rice, be sure you remove excess air from the container to avoid freeze burn.

(I am a Food Safety Advisor and am happy to answer any questions. )
Old 05-10-2004, 04:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

biscuit recipe

Thanks for the recipe, Linda! These sound yummy. I'm familiar with the minimal handling idea, so I hope I'll be able to get them to turn out. I need something new to try! Last night I made pan-pizzas with those soft flour tortillas and pizza topping in the middle, and another tortilla on top, and they were really good.

Thanks for the freezer advice too. I think I'd better get the manual out and my fridge thermometer and investigate - if I'm going to do this OAMC thing I can't go wasting stuff. I do often not quite trust frozen food - I think because where I grew up we often had power cuts.

it really frustrates me when they don't put 'keeping time' advice on food products.

cheers
E.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I'm very big on freezing sliced peppers. I wash, dry, cut and slice them first. I then put wax paper on baking pans, throw the peppers on top of the wax paper and put in freezer until completely frozen. I then take them out and throw them into freezer bags and store in the freezer. When i'm making stir-fry, soups, etc all I have to do is throw a handful in and they taste just the same. I started doing it because peppers would go bad way too fast if I kept them in my fridge. This solved the problem completely. When I was out of state last month I bought probably over 20lbs of peppers for $2.50 and had a ball freezing them all hehe..
I've tried the same thing with mushrooms, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots etc with some very good results.

I also do this with strawberries. I slice them up, freeze the same way as the peppers and pull them out when i'm making strawberry cakes I need filling for. Other berries i've had success with are raspberries, blueberries and blackberries.

Last edited by LoisGriffin; 03-14-2005 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:13 PM
Nine Year Member

I chop & freeze bell peppers all the time and have for years. I grow my own and use all year when making chili, spaghetti, omelets, etc. I do buy bell peppers when I run out and freeze them as well.

I freeze lasagne with good results. I really like the idea of freezing the pot pie stuffings. I freeze lunch meat (pre-packaged) with good results you do need to let it thaw out before using. I freeze cheese as well but chunk will crumble when thawed.

Roberta