Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Once A Month Cooking Whether you cook for a month or just double your dinners, this is the place to share ideas.

Old 08-25-2002, 07:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Question Which containers to use?

Sounds like something I'd like to try. What type of containers do ya'll use for freezing all your goodies? THX, Dawn
Old 08-25-2002, 08:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi again Dawny75!

I purchased the 30 Day Gourmet binder 5 years ago and I do batch cooking every so many months when I'm in the mood. There is alot of information on the internet and books available in the library now.

Recently, I made 6 pans of lasagna, 8 C browned ground beef (which I've recently used for eggplant casseroles), shephard's pie, meatloaf and mashed potatoes (I used some of the mashed potatoes for the shephard's pie).

I use alot of Ziplock freezer bags (quart, gallon & 2 gallon size) and the small sized Ziplock or store brand freezer containers. I make up alot of frozen dinners for my & hubby's grandparent(s). I can write on the bags & manuever the food inside to fit into my freezer space! I cooked & froze some of the lasagna in those oven, freezer, microwave containers - I can use those for neighbors, friends that are ill, etc. The rest were cut into single serving sizes and put into smaller containers

5 years ago, we purchased a free-standing freezer to supplement our refrigerator / freezer storage. I'd like to get a larger freezer, but first hubby needs to clean out the garage!

Good luck starting with OAMC - it's alot of planning & cooking, but worth it a week later when you just have to thaw and heat a complete meal!

Lisa
Old 08-26-2002, 07:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

OH!

DUH! Freezer bags, that makes sense, why didn't I think of that? Now I just need to find some great coupons for them!

I have the time for the big cooking jobs, just haven't stocked up on the right things yet. Working on it though! Thanks again!
Old 09-02-2002, 05:47 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Just thought I'd pop in here and give my review for the Foodsaver. I got one for my birthday in March and it's wonderful! I no longer throw out meat because it's gone bad or freezer burned. It's so easy to use and I've become a better OAMCooker. The one I got was purchased at Kohl's, but I've seen them at Target and other common stores. A little spendy at first, but a great investment.
Old 09-02-2002, 06:25 PM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Newbie

I too have a foodsaver and I love it. No more freezer burn.
I have a chest freezer and things seem to get lost in the
bottom all the time.I use to have to throw it out, but with the
foodsaver that lost meat or whatever is a treat not a trash.
Sue
Old 09-03-2002, 08:14 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Just love my old Tupperware freezer mates. New ones are nice but I love my old ones.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:07 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

For oamc casserole type dishes, I use aluminum pans bought at dollar store, line with heavy duty foil and then plastic wrap, place in freezer til frozen and then wrap plastic and foil around dish and remove from pan and stack in freezer. I also use a lot of zip bags but always wonder about the cost factor...not a very good tightwad in this respect. I also use plastic freezer containers for garden produce and freezer jelly.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Freezer jelly? What's that?

Just went to Dollar General this am, and freezer bags were 25/$1 for store brand, or 30/$3 for Hefty. Think it makes any difference? Haven't used freezer bags much in the past!

We have a foodsaver, one of those things that sucks the air out of the bag. Need to see if they make freezer weight bags for that thing too!

Thanks all!
Dawn
Old 09-06-2002, 04:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I use freezer bags for my meats and such but I also use the bowls and containers I get margarine and ice cream in and any other container I can find
Jackie
Old 09-08-2002, 03:32 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

containers

I am frugal and like to recycle so....it is large yogurt containers,pound containers you might from the deli, and some tupperware .