Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Once A Month Cooking Whether you cook for a month or just double your dinners, this is the place to share ideas.

Old 01-31-2005, 08:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Donna! I don't know about now but when we bought our Food Saver about 2+ years ago there were two different models at Wal-Mart. One was less than $ 100.00 and the one we bought was $ 129.00.

DH's niece bought one at Sam's that is supposedly better than ours (I haven't seen hers yet) and it cost $ 150.00+.

I have found that we have made our money back that we spent on the Food Saver...plus saved even more!!

We gave my parents one just like we have for Christmas 2003 and my parents LOVE it! Even though it is just the two of them, they can go to Sam's and buy meat in bulk for a cheaper per pound price and then break it down into smaller amounts and put it in teh Food Saver bags before freezing.

No worry about freezer burn like when you put raw meat into the freezer in even a freezer ziploc bag!

Hope this helps................
Old 02-01-2005, 06:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: I'm somewhere between the Port of Indecision & Southwest of Disorder
Food Savers

Hi Donna,

Food Savers are sold many, many places now. Wal-Mart, Sams, Target, Kohls, Bed, Bath & Beyond ( they usually have 20% off coupons), KMart. They are not cheap, but I have found mine to be an excellent investment. My DH always has a huge garden, and some of the things cannot be canned, but I can blanch them & freeze them for long periods of time by vacuum sealing them. I also use the jar sealers a lot. You can even seal the jars & use them in the freezer. Wal-Mart has another brand that I have heard very good things about. The bags for the other are much cheaper, and can be used with the Tilia Food Saver. Yahoo has a FoodSaver group that has some very helpful information and you can get some good information about the features of different models on the Tilia web site. The minimum features that I suggest are the manual seal, the vacuum port for jars & cannisters and one that will handle the wider bags. A lot of things just can't be put into the 8" wide bags. I use a lot of 1/2 gal jars for storage as they are much less expensive than the cannisters; I buy the rolls of bag material so I can make the size bag I need (much more economical than the premade bags). The bags can be used several times, especially if you make them larger than you actually need for the item you are sealing.
Can you tell that I my Food Saver? This is my second Food Saver in I don't know how many years and I can honestly say that I have recovered my initial investment many times over.
Forgive me for writing a book. If you have any questions feel free to pm or email me & I will try to answer them for you.
Yours In Christ,
Latriece
Old 02-06-2005, 04:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I love my food saver too. Specially on meats.. I was playing with my and put soup crackers in a 1/2 gal jar. Sealed it open it a year and half ago the crackers were still fresh..

This be tree